Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

It was in his email signature. I guess they found it offensive.

Maybe it would be OK to have "Mohammed bless America".

This Veteran Was Suspended Without Pay For Something U.S. Presidents Have Been Saying For Decades | Independent Journal Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
You know what to do

Dameron Hospital - Contact Us - Contact information, directory, and visitation details

~ God Bless America

Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
The information contained within this thread is all fabricated.

Surely there isn't any effort to silence Christian expression in America, even if it's stated in a generic form.

(It's interesting to note that post modern America permits the mention of God in the public square, when tragedy strikes.)

Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
There is a 0% chance this story is true. Predictably, a huge number of Americans will receive this email chain letter, swallow it hook, line and sinker, and then forward it to the next boob.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 PM

329 posts, read 431,563 times
If it is a private hospital and he is not represented by a union, his employment is "at will" which means he can be fired at any time for any reason.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
If it is a private hospital and he is not represented by a union, his employment is "at will" which means he can be fired at any time for any reason.
Ah, another person unable to separate legality from morality or ethics.

Let's say this story were actually true. As profoundly stupid as I have always found the phrase in question, I think it wrong to suspend or fire someone for using it as an email signature. Yes, they would probably be on perfectly safe legal ground suspending someone for this, but I don't think it would be the right thing to do.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
How so?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
How so?
The clear implication in the original post was that this person had been wronged in an ethical sense. Someone chiming in with a legal argument is irrelevant. This happens all the time. Someone poses an ethical question involving the actions of a business and some genius pipes in with, "They have a right to hire/fire/do whatever they want." Their brains are incapable of processing that someone might have the right to do something, but that tells us nothing about the morality of doing it.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 PM

329 posts, read 431,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post

Let's say this story were actually true. As profoundly stupid as I have always found the phrase in question, I think it wrong to suspend or fire someone for using it as an email signature. Yes, they would probably be on perfectly safe legal ground suspending someone for this, but I don't think it would be the right thing to do.
Ethics and morality play no role in business. Only law matters.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
It was in his hospital email signature. The hospital owns the email account. It's commercial speech on behalf of the hospital, and there are protocols to follow when you use a business account.
I certainly wouldn't be allowed to put a religious statement in my hospital email, any more than I would be allowed to post Lolcat pictures. It's inappropriate. If the hospital tells me remove it, I have to comply or be suspended. He said he'd remove it, but didn't.
Therefore, they had every right to suspend him.

I read the comments after this story. They're hysterical in their poutrage, screeching about how Obama is behind this and threatening to shut the hospital down.
Idiot Fox viewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies