Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,791 times

Advertisements

How absurd and arrogant of this teacher, who reportedly threatens to lower a student's academic grade if they say the traditional, generic "God Bless You" after someone sneezes in the classroom. Sounds like the principal is intervening to stop the form of punishment; but its unclear if it will still be censored or not.

"Steve Cuckovich, a health teacher at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California, has attempted to banish the friendly gesture, as he believes it is both disrespectful and disruptive. To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade."

California Teacher Lowers Students’ Grades for Saying God Bless You | Video | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:41 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
That's petty

When I sneeze and someone say ''bless you'' or''God bless you'', my consistent reponse is to say ''thanks'' , even when I have no belief in God. I guess in a deep way, it can be considered offensive like the person should be thankful that God was kind enough to keep his or her heart pumping after the temporary pause. But what the teacher did was uncalled for and made it out of a big enough issue to drop a student's grade. Like c'mon, even us secular/non believers blurt out phrases sub-consciously that have a religious theme to it like ''Oh my God'' and ''God Damn'' and ''Jesus Christ!!''.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
"The Blaze", the new American media for common sense, for people who lack it.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I guess in a deep way, it can be considered offensive like the person should be thankful that God was kind enough to keep his or her heart pumping after the temporary pause. But what the teacher did was uncalled for and made it out of a big enough issue to drop a student's grade. Like c'mon, even us secular/non believers blurt out phrases sub-consciously that have a religious theme to it like ''Oh my God'' and ''God Damn'' and ''Jesus Christ!!''.
People once thought that a sneeze was the body trying to expel an evil spirit or demon. That's the origin of the phrase, as I understand it.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
How absurd and arrogant of this teacher, who reportedly threatens to lower a student's academic grade if they say the traditional, generic "God Bless You" after someone sneezes in the classroom. Sounds like the principal is intervening to stop the form of punishment; but its unclear if it will still be censored or not.

"Steve Cuckovich, a health teacher at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California, has attempted to banish the friendly gesture, as he believes it is both disrespectful and disruptive. To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade."

California Teacher Lowers Students’ Grades for Saying God Bless You | Video | TheBlaze.com

This guy should be fired. Disrespectful? To who? Did somebody complaign about it? It's known as a common courtesy. At least the school agreed with the students who complaigned about this loon and he is pulling back it appears. Makes you wonder what other kinds of insanity this guy puts his students through though.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
That's ridiculous. I used to say "Bless you" after a sneeze even when I was atheist. It's just a saying people don't mean literally. Linguists call it phatic communion. Another example is "how are you?"--99% of the time the expected answer is "good" or "fine thank you"--you're not actually asking for an in-depth discussion of how they are doing.

There are tons of linguistic rituals we go through every day that don't actually mean much. When a store clerk says "Have a nice day" do you think they really give a sh.t about your day? Not really. ALl of those just serve to smooth out every day interactions. Bless you" is no exception. You don't have to believe in God to say "bless you," just like you don't have to actually know someone well to ask "how are you?" or care about someone to tell them "have a nice day."

People go so overboard with shoving their agenda.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
It seems we only have the father's word that this happened. Even The Blaze is smart enough to use words like "purportedly". Those of you calling for firing the teacher should think about "due process".

Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People once thought that a sneeze was the body trying to expel an evil spirit or demon. That's the origin of the phrase, as I understand it.
Those ancients were wrong on so many things...at least now we know that the evil spirits and demons leave our bodies when we fart...we've come a long way baby

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Due process? The guy said he was doing it? Do you ever read links?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This guy should be fired. Disrespectful? To who? Did somebody complaign about it? It's known as a common courtesy. At least the school agreed with the students who complaigned about this loon and he is pulling back it appears. Makes you wonder what other kinds of insanity this guy puts his students through though.
Last time I checked, saying "bless you" was basic manners and basic manners are a way to show respect, not disrespect. This guy's got it backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies