Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I have a feeling that many Christians would be screaming bloody murder if they or their children were routinely greeted with As-Salam Alaikum.
Probably not in Muslim country, where it would be expected and/or phatic, as nimchimpsky touched upon.
In the USA, certain words/phrases are phatic as well.
It's just part of the majority culture. Deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
So I started to watch the video, something I rarely do, and it started out with an ad that could not be skipped, so I stopped it. If the teacher admitted he lowers the grades of people who say "God Bless You", then why does the Blaze say "purportedly"?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Probably not in Muslim country, where it would be expected and/or phatic, as nimchimpsky touched upon.
In the USA, certain words/phrases are phatic as well.
It's just part of the majority culture. Deal.

The United States is not a theocracy or Christian country.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
For those who are claiming it is a simple matter of respect I ask: Is it respectful for students to speak out in a classroom without first getting the permission of the teacher?
Do you really think this is comparable? I've never met a teacher that made me raise my hand when I wanted to say something like "excuse me" or "see you tomorrow." Yes, for contributing to class discussions, that's the general protocol, but for social niceties? Have you ever had a teacher make you raise your hand to say "Good morning"? Or "Have a good weekend"?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Even if you are going to go that ridiculous route,
what say you about the fact that the teacher deducted points from every student
and
that he also considered the sneeze itself an "interruption"?

For the record, kids have been saying "Bless you" or "God bless you" when their classmates sneeze for ages.
How long has truly disrespectful behavior been tolerated in a classroom?
(like kids swearing, refusing to cooperate discipline-wise, slumping their their seats and not participating, etc)

I've been a classroom teacher; I know for a fact that it is widespread now and is tolerated or dealt with very lightly.

How on earth can you call a sneeze and the polite, automatic response to it disrespectful??
So as a teacher you can say unequivocally that you know what the behavior patterns are in this particular classroom?

I'm married to a classroom teacher and I've heard all kinds of anecdotal stories about student behavior.

Without more details about this specific classroom, I don't see how anyone could tell whether or not a blanket ban on students speaking out is justified. I've certainly heard plenty stories of seemingly harmless actions by students being used to disrupt a classroom. With the all too often response, "what I didn't do anything".

Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
This was on our local news, and they said his objection wasn't about religion, it was about superstitiousness. Personally, I think he must be ready to retire. Sounds like the kids are getting on his last nerve if he's being so petty.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Do you really think this is comparable? I've never met a teacher that made me raise my hand when I wanted to say something like "excuse me" or "see you tomorrow." Yes, for contributing to class discussions, that's the general protocol, but for social niceties? Have you ever had a teacher make you raise your hand to say "Good morning"? Or "Have a good weekend"?
If it is in the middle of instruction time: then I would suspect many teachers would take issue with students saying "Good morning" or "Have a good weekend".

Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
I think the entire class should eat beans. What will the teacher say if they choose to say, "excuse me?" Are they claiming innocence of passing gas or are they accepting blame and begging for forgiveness? Does it really matter?

It's a social nicety - what a moron.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It seem at least once aweek we read about how a teacher/principal etc. does something asinise like this.

And they wonder why a lot of people have a negative opinion of them.
And they always reverse their decisions after public outcry. Definite lack of common sense, I'm thinking. And they're teaching our kids...

Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"The Blaze", the new American media for common sense, for people who lack it.
Of course, you didn't read the link since you don't like the source. Attack that messenger and never know anything about the message. Remember to accuse me of that when I do it to something like the Al Times of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies