Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times

Advertisements

Hmm, even though the teacher was given a chance on camera to say it was students who were faking the sneeze in order for his friends to disrupt the class, he did not say so. Instead he focused on an explination of why he wants students to stop saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes. The "disrupting students faking sneezing" didn't come out until after the story went national. Either it's a late excuse or very poor judgement on the part of the teacher. If the fake sneezing were true, why was his statement focused on "god bless you"? Why were his punishments focused only on the "god bless you" students rather than the fake sneezing students? I believe it is possible some of these students were faking a sneeze to be disruptive. But the teacher's actions and words leave me to doubt the excuse in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:00 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hmm, even though the teacher was given a chance on camera to say it was students who were faking the sneeze in order for his friends to disrupt the class, he did not say so. Instead he focused on an explination of why he wants students to stop saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes. The "disrupting students faking sneezing" didn't come out until after the story went national. Either it's a late excuse or very poor judgement on the part of the teacher. If the fake sneezing were true, why was his statement focused on "god bless you"? Why were his punishments focused only on the "god bless you" students rather than the fake sneezing students? I believe it is possible some of these students were faking a sneeze to be disruptive. But the teacher's actions and words leave me to doubt the excuse in this case.
Exactly. If it was about the students faking sneezing, he could have just said "They were being disruptive" instead of talking about the superstitiousness behind the phrase "God bless you." Shows you where his reasoning really lies.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And naturally, you don't know much about California - if you did, you'd realize it took place in the rather conservative town of Vacaville. That's in the Sacramento Valley, which is sometimes referred to as the "deep south" of Northern CA. I lived in the central/Sac valley during college, and it's a far cry from San Francisco in terms of political climate (and actual climate, for that matter ). This is a VERY big state, and it makes me laugh when people think we're all tree-hugging atheist liberals.

Yeah, maybe because the kids were purposefully sneezing (and then "blessing" and thanking every student) to disrupt class - and had been doing it in other classes too? Read the latest articles, preferably from a local/reliable news source this time.
Did they do that in response to his stupid policy, or did they do that which led to the policy?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Watch the original video linked in this thread. The first thing the teacher says is its about the interruption of class time. If reporters and others want to focus on the "God Bless You" aspect what can the teacher do. The more recent articles are now including quotes from students supporting the teacher's version of events that it was an intentional disruption of class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies