Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we raise or lower the voting age?
Raise to 21 43 51.81%
Lower to 16 10 12.05%
Keep the age at 18 for those in the armed forces 21 25.30%
Other 18 21.69%
Welcome to Costco I love you. 7 8.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Young folks do vote.

Gerrymandering isn't paying the dividends it once did for the Republican party. Since young people vote, in general, for Democrats during presidential years, they want to end their voting rights. Well some on the right do.

They don't see it that way. The way they trick their minds into supporting that is by saying, "we are always right, and our position is so good, obviously if you vote against us surely you can't make a competent vote. "

Instead, the GOP should realize the world has changed, and the moral compass is aimed a little more left.

If Republicans voted to repeal marijuana prohibition, support gay marriage, and put forward a path to citizenship, I doubt they'd lose an election when fighting this disaster of a democratic party. But sadly, they feel beholden to a religious right that's dying every year.
That one will harm us, up to 30,000,000 new entitlement voters, yeah that is what this nation needs(sarcasm) The dems want that it because it would stack the deck for them. Its will not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
One more thing for those who think voting should be restricted. A government that doesn't represent the will of the governed will not long stand.

Let the majority vote. If they don't like your ideas, get new ones. Doesn't mean you have to change your principles, but people don't like your ideas when they don't vote for you.

70% of Americans want 4 things.

1. Save social security for all people, future and present retirees
2. Save medicare for all people, future and present retirees.
3. Cut defense spending a lot
4. Raise taxes on the super rich to make up the difference.

Work within those confines, or keep losing elections. Goes for
both parties
We dont have enough rich people to tax to cover it, how can you not understand this?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting to save the world. Let people vote the way they want, for their own reasons. And if kids under the age of 25 are dumb then they have no business going to war do they.
When you want to do it at the expense of personal liberty, and with other peoples money, all for some feel good do nothing causes, or fight non problems yes it is wrong.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Excuse me? What did I say that made me come off as superior? If you don't have a basic understanding of economics and politics, why vote in the first place?

Secondly, who said an IQ test would make anyone vote for who I wanted? Did I even say that I would pass an IQ test? (I will but just saying) I don't feel like arguing, but I just don't get your post
Taking an IQ test would probably leave a lot of this country from voting. And people don't need to know economics to vote. Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or anything. I just think people should be able to vote whatever way they want.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
So you're saying a large amount of young folks, didn't vote for obama because he was black, and because it was the "cool thing" to do? I'm black, and 22 years old. So i'm not old and bitter.

And bull-donkey. Most people vote with their specific parties. Not who they feel a connection with (I would not doubt if women came off in the criteria as I read something about that, not a diss on women at all, I just read an article that they were more likely to vote based on feelings)
Thank you!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Taking an IQ test would probably leave a lot of this country from voting. And people don't need to know economics to vote. Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or anything. I just think people should be able to vote whatever way they want.
Yes they do. Maybe if they did know a damn thing about economics they would know you cant vote yourself money forever.

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:
Bingo... Must be a liberal.

Who cares that they know nothing about politics, lets vote for whoever is cool, and ruin our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! miley cyrus approves him, lets vote for him!!!!!

See anything wrong?

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
When you want to do it at the expense of personal liberty, and with other peoples money, all for some feel good do nothing causes, or fight non problems yes it is wrong.
Sorry, I think saving the world for future generations is more important than my personal liberty. You are all about you and me, me, me lol

Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome

Hello from another gun lover via California!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I think saving the world for future generations is more important than my personal liberty. You are all about you and me, me, me lol
Saving the world for future generations? Yea... keep voting without knowing a dang thing about politics, there won't be an America left, and we'll need the world to relocate too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies