Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 AM

78,636 posts, read 60,809,315 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they mishandled the evidence or the case etc. or made some other major flaw and dangled the plea deal.

I'd be really interested in just what went down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So, are you saying Christians or more particularly Pastors are bad people? I find this totally insulting to be honest. A few bad apples, doesn't make the entire group bad. This could be said about any group, blacks, whites, gays, atheists, fat people, skinny people, people on welfare, whatever. isn't it pretty judgmental to make a statement like you are making?
No.
It seems there are a lot of posts floating around that say "If you're not a Christian, where do you get your morals from?"
Evidently, Christianity and morality don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,240,274 times
It's typical for molesters to invent some pretense for why their victims shouldn't be alarmed but instead should comply, rather than just saying "I want to have sex with you." And molesters with religious authority often invent religious reasons for why their abuse isn't really abuse, but something else.

I don't know why this man isn't serving time. I can't fathom it.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Point is the pastor in the article is a disgrace and ought to face jail time for his crimes. Now these boys who were molested by him have to deal with that for the rest of their lives while he gets to enjoy his freedom and live with the fact that he destroyed their lives.
oh, did you think I meant anything else? Of course he is a disgrace...and yes, he should be serving time. My point, and it addressed to one poster was: the comment about "pastor"

Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No.
It seems there are a lot of posts floating around that say "If you're not a Christian, where do you get your morals from?"
Evidently, Christianity and morality don't necessarily go hand in hand.
again, I am not talking about anything you are saying: I agree, there are those who think only Christians have morals, which is totally untrue. We have a granddaughter we would trade for anything, she happens to be an agnostic. She does attend church, she isn't raising her son in any religious way and she is one of the most giving people I have even known. Again, I am just tired of seeing so many here, mostly libs, some atheists that love to point fingers at Christians. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,415,673 times
If you have money, Law enforcement, or shared christian beliefs apparently, you can get away with a lot more. You're part of the "club".

Saw this growing up once, boy scout leader molested kids, got a slap on the wrist. Kid I went to school with who was one of the victims ended up shooting him with a shotgun. In a stunning display of common sense he also got a slap on the wrist. But generally..money, shared beliefs, or part of the system....and you can get away with almost anything.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,928 times
How low. No wonder the pastors are not respected.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Sounds like a judge or a jury problem in sentencing to me. Happens with more than pastors that I have seen or gays.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,969,694 times
Umm ... I'm sure this might strike some people as an understatement ... but doesn't it seem like he got off with a very light sentance???

Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 PM

78,636 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Umm ... I'm sure this might strike some people as an understatement ... but doesn't it seem like he got off with a very light sentance???
To most people it seems that way. So, like it takes a rocket surgeon there are a couple logical explanations.

1) he rolled on some others. doubtful since they'd trumpet that.
2) political or other connections. who knows.
3) botched investigation
4) nutjob judge.

I cant comment. No idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies