Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 PM

269 posts, read 296,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. War on coal
I've always found this one a bit amusing. The coal industry always claims that the government is responsible for them losing profits, yet the decline for coal usage recently has been the increase in domestic natural gas drilling.

In Appalachia, Coal Struggles to Compete With Natural Gas

Does this mean Republicans will join in the anti-shale movement? Tune in and find out.

TLDR: The market is making coal less effective.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
I've always found this one a bit amusing. The coal industry always claims that the government is responsible for them losing profits, yet the decline for coal usage recently has been the increase in domestic natural gas drilling.

In Appalachia, Coal Struggles to Compete With Natural Gas

Does this mean Republicans will join in the anti-shale movement? Tune in and find out.

TLDR: The market is making coal less effective.
There is a bit of truth in what you are saying...

But you are ignoring that the EPA's new regulations on coal, are projected to cost the industry $184 Billion by 2030.

That is no tiny dent and it makes natural gas more attractive.

If you want to tell me that we need to be finding ways to get off of coal - I will agree with you. Fact is, most Republicans do write off alternative energies too quickly IMHO. But don't say new policies have had zero influence on coal.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
stopped reading after #2, only extremely naive people think Presidents create jobs.
Should have stopped at #1. Anyone claiming that Obama signed the 2009 budget with no input from GWB either knows nothing about how the US government operates, or is a brazen liar.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No matter what you say about Carter, he doesn't have two failed wars under his belt.

4500 dead Americans over non existent weapons of mass destruction. Shameful.

Iran was a US military ally when Carter took office.

Wait till that nuclear hen comes home to roost!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times
The Independent Journal Review is a joke. The fact that libertarian conservatives need to hide behind the label "Independent" speaks volumes about their honesty. They are either too ashamed to call themselves Conservative or are so dishonest that they want people to perceive that they are independent, while pushing a radical RW agenda.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Should have stopped at #1. Anyone claiming that Obama signed the 2009 budget with no input from GWB either knows nothing about how the US government operates, or is a brazen liar.

Here's the actual quote...

"Obama signed onto the 2009 budget exploding spending, which he only slightly scaled back."

Obama Signs Fiscal Year 2009 Omnibus Spending Bill -* March 13, 2009

Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
No one ever lost the healthcare they wanted under Bush!! That's enuff for me!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I have a question, which government program are you covered by Medicare, Tricare, or VA because you don't have a clue how rates increased under Bush. You talk like someone covered by a gubbermint program complaining about something that doesn't impact you.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Actually, they did. Plenty of people were dropped or denied in the individual market under Bush. Saying otherwise, is a practice in delusion.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 PM

269 posts, read 296,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There is a bit of truth in what you are saying...

But you are ignoring that the EPA's new regulations on coal, are projected to cost the industry $184 Billion by 2030.

That is no tiny dent and it makes natural gas more attractive.

If you want to tell me that we need to be finding ways to get off of coal - I will agree with you. Fact is, most Republicans do write off alternative energies too quickly IMHO. But don't say new policies have had zero influence on coal.
Do you know if those regulations took effect? The latest statement I could find was a proposal (apparently one that has been going on for a few years). The latest info was from a news release 2 months ago.

09/20/2013: EPA Proposes Carbon Pollution Standards for New Power Plants / Agency takes important step to reduce carbon pollution from power plants as part of President Obama’s Climate Action Plan

The Times article didn't provide links to any specific bill.

I think it'll come down to how it's implemented. For instance, the original Clean Air Act signed by the first Bush implemented a cap-and-trade for regulating SO2 and it was quite successful while still leaving the coal industry intact. For the moment though, the natural gas sector seems to be the one gaining the upper hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies