Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Forgive me if I'm being repetitious. CNN did a story this morning on how 1/3 of bank tellers are getting govt. assistance. (Can't find it anywhere on the web, darn!) It's not just Walmart.
The banking industry is not on the administration enemy list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm being repetitious. CNN did a story this morning on how 1/3 of bank tellers are getting govt. assistance. (Can't find it anywhere on the web, darn!) It's not just Walmart.
Not just fast food workers, bank tellers also rely on food stamps, Medicaid

Most bank tellers were replaced with ATMS. Those that remain employed tend to be part time, especially at branch banks. The part time nature may explain why some qualify for some form of government assistance, assuming there is any truth to this claim.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
The point is, it's not just Walmart. I think young single moms would want to be able to support their families.
Want and can are two separate things if you have limited skills or education. Some young single moms are certainly able to get better employment. Others if they happen to be on the slow side mentally, arent engaging or attractive have a much harder time getting higher paying jobs.

For young men it's a little easier because there are better paying labor related jobs that are dirty\difficult\dangerous if they aren't particularly gifted mentally etc.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not just fast food workers, bank tellers also rely on food stamps, Medicaid

Most bank tellers were replaced with ATMS. Those that remain employed tend to be part time, especially at branch banks. The part time nature may explain why some qualify for some form of government assistance, assuming there is any truth to this claim.
They were talking about that on CNN, and the number of actual tellers is still quite large. Not everyone does all their banking transactions via ATM. I still get a paper check (sigh!) so I take it down to the bank and put it in via teller. I just don't quite trust the ATM to do it right.

I'm not sure why you aren't sure this is true. It looks like a reputable website.

Bank Teller Salary - Average Bank Teller Salaries | PayScale
Average hourly salary $8.36 to $13.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Want and can are two separate things if you have limited skills or education. Some young single moms are certainly able to get better employment. Others if they happen to be on the slow side mentally, arent engaging or attractive have a much harder time getting higher paying jobs.

For young men it's a little easier because there are better paying labor related jobs that are dirty\difficult\dangerous if they aren't particularly gifted mentally etc.
1. Do you think bank tellers are slow mentally?
2. You said "They can be popular jobs for young single moms too given that they have very similar holiday schedules as schools."

Actually, the banks are open on Saturdays, some evenings, all through Christmas, all summer.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If it's 1 for 1 then people still have no incentive. I can either work harder for that $180 or I can work the same and get the $180 for free from government.

Milton Friedman suggested it be .5 for 1. For every $1 more you earn, your benefits are only lessened by 50 cents.

1 for 1 makes sense in theory, but taking the natural human tendency to take the path of least resistance into account, I think Friedman's suggestion is more practical.
I agree with the .5 for 1 logic. The issue is when we see people go off assistance is too sink or swim. There is no training wheels to catch you if you are wobbling too much.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How many threads do we need on this??

Oh, and there is no such thing as "subsidizing low wage workers." Someone APPLIES for a job. They may be OFFERED that job, with a specified compensation package. If they ACCEPT that job, then they're accepting that compensation package. If it doesn't meet their needs, then they should keep looking, increase their value in the workforce or find an additional income stream.

Yes, folks its JUST THAT EASY! If you believe that I have some snake oil to sell you and a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to take a look at.

Lets ignore ALLLLLL of the related factors to why swagger's solution is anything but a solution and comfort ourselves in the blanket of false "fax" and impotent superiority.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conservative-voter View Post
But why should we care whether the poor can get work or not, or what their wages are - the less the better because it means that those people with the ability get paid more.

That is how the cookie crumbles, and poor people are nothing other than cannon fodder for real people that do real work.

You're cute. I always enjoy a good dose of satire.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You're cute. I always enjoy a good dose of satire.
I don't because trolls are pathetic.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Why are folks making such assumptions? Many right-wingers sincerely believe that other people are worth less than they are and that that rationalizes all manner of immoral policy directions they prefer. That's really the crux of the issue - the right-wing institutionalized callous disregard for others.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree with the .5 for 1 logic. The issue is when we see people go off assistance is too sink or swim. There is no training wheels to catch you if you are wobbling too much.

Some of us remember when standard banking hours were 9-3, M-F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies