Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Great idea, how exactly would a burger flipper go about starting their own burger joint? Do you know how much that costs?
Why would he (or she) have to open a burger joint? There are lots of business models that don't have the overhead of a retail store.

And if he or she did want to open a burger joint, he or she wouldn't have to have the startup cash in the bank. That's what venture capitalists and small business loans are for. If the prospective entrepreneur has a solid business plan, he or she will be able to get the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So now I must ask all conservatives:

What would YOU do if your choices were to work for an unsustainable wage (one on which you can't afford to live long-term) or starve? In that context, is taking that crappy McJob really a choice?
I'll tell you what I actually did in that situation - I started a business. I saw the economy, saw that there were no jobs to be had and decided to take control of my own employment, and now, five years later, I'm making more than I ever made working for someone else. It's not rocket science - it's more about your state of mind than anything.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And another thread where right-wingers twist and squirm and evade at all costs admitting their true perspective, that they couldn't care less about other people, that all they care about is themselves and their own comfort and luxury, and that if what serves their own desires best "dumps poor people over a cliff" that's fine with them.
Do you actually believe the stuff you write, or are you just trying to be inflammatory?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, in your mind, every job should be one on which one can support a family? Buy a home? A McDonald's order taker should make, how much, $50,000/year? More? Can you imagine what you would be asked to pay for that Big Mac? McDonald's would be forced to close, because no one would pay for a Big Mac priced high enough to pay employees that kind of money.

Have you ever bothered to think through your misguided musings?
A low wage worker should be able to house, clothe and feed himself - not live in luxury. The lowest paid wage worker should be able to afford low cost housing, not buy a house. $50,000 a year? I was thinking more like half that. When you adjust for inflation, minimum wage was $10 an hour in 1968. McDonalds was thriving and burgers were selling like hot cakes. So we can go at least that high.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why should employers? You won't give away YOUR money, but you demand someone ELSE gives away THEIR money.
Really dude? You're arguing that people have a right to be in business and pay wages that are so low that their employees need my tax dollars to live?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
A low wage worker should be able to house, clothe and feed himself - not live in luxury. The lowest paid wage worker should be able to afford low cost housing, not buy a house. $50,000 a year? I was thinking more like half that. When you adjust for inflation, minimum wage was $10 an hour in 1968. McDonalds was thriving and burgers were selling like hot cakes. So we can go at least that high.

And yet in 1968 there were still poor people (a higher percentage of the population than today) who lived in subsidized housing, collected welfare, received food stamps and had people advocating for a "living wage".

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Really dude? You're arguing that people have a right to be in business and pay wages that are so low that their employees need my tax dollars to live?
It's government you need to be mad at.
But they have diverted the outrage to the companies themselves.

Who sets min wage ?
Who sets the tax laws ?
Who sets min legal working conditions ?
Who exempts visa workers from several US labor laws ?
Who increases work visas ?
Who sets that $500 fine and turns a blind eye to prosecution for hiring illegals ?

It's not Walmart my friend.
It's not Tyson my friend.

If you really believe that $15/hour is the min any American should earn then you need to be talking to Congress, not Walmart.
If you really think that every employer must provide health insurance then you need to be talking to Congress, not Walmart.

When anyone starts a business it's to further them in life. They do it so they can get ahead.
The trickle down is when they expand and hire workers.

Haven't any of you ever turned down a job offer because you didn't like the conditions/pay/etc ?
You know full well what the numbers are when you accept that job.

It's now that globalism and offshoring are showing the true impact that outrages you.
Yeah..your "career" choices are being limited to cashier or burger flipper.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If I hire someone to mow my yard and he qualifies for government assistance am I on the hook?
If you pay him a retainer where he must be exclusively available to you for 40 hours or more a week, then yes. You should be paying him at least $400 a week or so. If you're just paying him to mow your lawn a few times a month though, no. He's in business for himself.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And yet in 1968 there were still poor people (a higher percentage of the population than today) who lived in subsidized housing, collected welfare, received food stamps and had people advocating for a "living wage".
Welfare programs as we know them came about post 1968 as a part of LBJ's war on poverty.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Welfare programs as we know them came about post 1968 as a part of LBJ's war on poverty.
Section 8 was 1937.
Food Stamps were 1939 and re-started in 1964.
Welfare was 1935.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies