Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If I hire someone to mow my yard and he qualifies for government assistance am I on the hook?
A lot of jobs have disappeared because of 'minimum wage' laws. The fact of the matter that these Leftists refuse to deal with is that many of these jobs disappeared because the value to the company was less than what they were being forced by law to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How many threads do we need on this??

Oh, and there is no such thing as "subsidizing low wage workers." Someone APPLIES for a job. They may be OFFERED that job, with a specified compensation package. If they ACCEPT that job, then they're accepting that compensation package. If it doesn't meet their needs, then they should keep looking, increase their value in the workforce or find an additional income stream.
These leftists don't understand the concepts of wealth and poverty, and the relationships of value paid for value received. They assume that all employers are out to screw the employee. That is what the unions are teaching them. These are not people of high intellect.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obamacare mandates on companies will affect workers in a bad way.
It already has: Full time is now only 30 hours/week, which reduces ones earnings considerably, while at the same time they are finding that their health insurance cost is doubling, and so is their deductible.

Many have been laid off, because the employer needs to get below 50 employees, or go out of business.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Great idea, how exactly would a burger flipper go about starting their own burger joint? Do you know how much that costs?
NO, leftists need to go out and start burger joints and pay $22/hr so they can hire all those minimum wage people. They demand OTHER people do what they refuse to do - they are massive hypocrites - dishonest to the core.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
So now I must ask all conservatives:

What would YOU do if your choices were to work for an unsustainable wage (one on which you can't afford to live long-term) or starve? In that context, is taking that crappy McJob really a choice?
Of course it is.

Tell me, what is "unsustainable" wages?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Why in the world would I give my money to low wage workers? I'm trying to get the money I give them by advocating for higher wages. They should be able to support themselves with their wages, not my tax dollars.
Why should employers? You won't give away YOUR money, but you demand someone ELSE gives away THEIR money.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
These leftists don't understand the concepts of wealth and poverty, and the relationships of value paid for value received. They assume that all employers are out to screw the employee. That is what the unions are teaching them. These are not people of high intellect.
Funny. I would say the same of most conservatives. IF it requires too much thought - conservatives simply cannot comprehend it.

These conservatives don't understand the concept of raiding middle class paychecks to pay for the wealthy.

Oh, and there are no more Unions or workers rights. Thanks Republicans!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
We have to subsidize their lifestyle.
It's in the constitution under the "social" welfare clause

Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Paying less than a living wage is like owning a horse and not feeding it enough, and justifying it by saying "Well why don't YOU pay for more hay for my horse?"
Here we are again with another OWNERSHIP analogy.

I have a newsflash for you: Employers don't OWN their employees.

An employer's responsibility to its employee's financial well being ends with paying them agreed upon wage.

If it's all about the employer and low wages, then how is it possible that there are plenty of employees working at the same or lower wages that DON'T utilize public assistance?

Even if you don't know it, you're working for the unions by promoting this tripe. And you're working FOR FREE!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
??? Taking away welfare does not raise wages, so it does not have the desired effect of low-wage workers earning more.
Way to miss the point. I guess I have to spell it out for the less perceptive among the forum membership...

If those programs weren't available, then people would be forced to expand their skill set so that they can earn more. And for the record, I'm not advocating the complete dismantling of the welfare system. I'm merely stating a fact.

BTW, you have an odd perspective for someone with the username "free market."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies