Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which will hurt small businesses far more than those greedy big companies like Walmart.
Small business will adjust and turn into one man shops..micro business.
Nothing wrong with that because it keeps competition for both price and quality at healthy levels.

That's how America started and that's how we may end up.

It won't hurt them if they adjust to the changing business environment.

I'd prefer to see more small, local one man shops.
You're a face and a name to them.

Walmart will adjust as well.
Self checkouts, warehouse type stocking, more "order online and pickup in store" is already happening in the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Which will hurt small businesses far more than those greedy big companies like Walmart.
I'm not trying to hurt walmart or anyone else. I don't hate capitalism or corporations. I also don't mind a healthy self interest. I'd just like to quit subsidizing the workforce. I'm not so sure higher wages would hurt small businesses. Small businesses usually pay higher wages than places like Walmart.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Agreed - that something else is a significant raise in the minimum wage.
The more I find out the less I care. Did you hear that the IRS is now going after a cancer patient who initially voted for Obama but spoke out against Obamacare because he lost his insurance? This is life and death and all you care about is being paid higher for a skill set that a young teen can perform.

Don't bother me with your squawking. They are getting paid the wage they deserve.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's the thing with all these cries for raising MW. Once raised, the people would starve quicker. They would lose their benefits and STILL not be able to feed a family. You can't feed, house and clothe a family on $15/hr. The Left wants to raise MW and still have these people get subsidies as another poster pointed out. It's really hard to fathom the thinking of a modern day Progressive, they support things that will make things worse for EVERYONE!
One of the reasons other countries have a better handle on their safety nets is because their benefits taper off. It's almost always better to work and get slightly reduced benefits than get cut off for crossing an earning threshold.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to hurt walmart or anyone else. I don't hate capitalism or corporations. I also don't mind a healthy self interest. I'd just like to quit subsidizing the workforce. I'm not so sure higher wages would hurt small businesses. Small businesses usually pay higher wages than places like Walmart.
It depends on the small business. And raising the minimum wage to an actual "living wage" would probably mean literally doubling it - we're not talking about a dollar an hour increase here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The more I find out the less I care. Did you hear that the IRS is now going after a cancer patient who initially voted for Obama but spoke out against Obamacare because he lost his insurance? This is life and death and all you care about is being paid higher for a skill set that a young teen can perform.

Don't bother me with your squawking. They are getting paid the wage they deserve.
Unless you are in the top tenth percentile of wage earners, I make more than you do. You think I'm a minimum wage worker and this thread is my strategy for getting a raise? Silly.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Walmart has said their average pay is over $12.00/hour.
Now that's average.

Industries like this have over 75% turnover rate.
I'm sure a lot of people are doing this to themselves by job hopping too much and not staying anywhere long enough to earn that raise.

The "no call, no show" employee is a huge problem in the low wage industry.

My son was senior employee at his job after 6 months due to so many quitting or just stop showing up.
And he started above min wage. That also applies to the managers as well.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Small business will adjust and turn into one man shops..micro business.
Nothing wrong with that because it keeps competition for both price and quality at healthy levels.

That's how America started and that's how we may end up.

It won't hurt them if they adjust to the changing business environment.

I'd prefer to see more small, local one man shops.
You're a face and a name to them.

Walmart will adjust as well.
Self checkouts, warehouse type stocking, more "order online and pickup in store" is already happening in the industry.
It depends on the business. If it's a restaurant, for example, you can't exactly turn it into a one-man shop unless you completely change the type of establishment. You'd have to drastically downsize if there was one person to cook, reduce the operating hours, move to counter service, have kiosks rather than people taking orders and running credit cards, etc.

Either way tons of people would lose their jobs at both large and small businesses.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It depends on the small business. And raising the minimum wage to an actual "living wage" would probably mean literally doubling it - we're not talking about a dollar an hour increase here.
I don't know what it is currently. About $8 an hour? I don't think it needs to double - probably more like increase by a third.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It depends on the business. If it's a restaurant, for example, you can't exactly turn it into a one-man shop unless you completely change the type of establishment. You'd have to drastically downsize if there was one person to cook, reduce the operating hours, move to counter service, have kiosks rather than people taking orders and running credit cards, etc.

Either way tons of people would lose their jobs at both large and small businesses.
I'm not so sure people would lose their jobs. Payroll is only one expense for doing business. So yes, we'd be raising the cost do doing business but we'd also be significantly increasing the potential customer base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies