Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,289 times

Advertisements

"We should pursue reforms that encourage and reward work. That’s why I am developing legislation to replace the earned income tax credit with a federal wage enhancement for qualifying low-wage jobs," Rubio said. "This would allow an unemployed individual to take a job that pays, say, $18,000 a year -– which on its own is not enough to make ends meet –- but then receive a federal enhancement to make the job a more enticing alternative to collecting unemployment insurance."
Marco Rubio's Cure For Poverty? Subsidize Crummy Jobs, Make Massive Block Grants

Wait a minute here. How is this not "big government"? He wants the government to subsidize someone making 18k a year so that they will make what? 22k a year? So the government will cut the 18k worker a 4k check every year? A federal enhancement eh? That money comes from tax payers.

Why not just index minimum wage with inflation? The real minimum wage should be $10.24 anyway. Raising the minimum wage is a much better idea than the government subsidizing workers. Rubio's plan takes money from tax payers. It is actually wealth distribution. Raising the minimum wage doesn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
"We should pursue reforms that encourage and reward work. That’s why I am developing legislation to replace the earned income tax credit with a federal wage enhancement for qualifying low-wage jobs," Rubio said. "This would allow an unemployed individual to take a job that pays, say, $18,000 a year -– which on its own is not enough to make ends meet –- but then receive a federal enhancement to make the job a more enticing alternative to collecting unemployment insurance."
Marco Rubio's Cure For Poverty? Subsidize Crummy Jobs, Make Massive Block Grants

Wait a minute here. How is this not "big government"? He wants the government to subsidize someone making 18k a year so that they will make what? 22k a year? So the government will cut the 18k worker a 4k check every year? A federal enhancement eh? That money comes from tax payers.

Why not just index minimum wage with inflation? The real minimum wage should be $10.24 anyway. Raising the minimum wage is a much better idea than the government subsidizing workers. Rubio's plan takes money from tax payers. It is actually wealth distribution. Raising the minimum wage doesn't do that.
Just on reading your post, seems to me He wants to replace EIC with an incentive for an individual to move up.

Right now EIC is almost given to everyone that applies. I have heard of some families recieving around 8K.

Seems Rubio's plan reduces the incentive amount and makes it contingent on moving to a better paying job. Just my supposition, but the Rubio incentive would not be given every tax time unless the person moves up in pay scale every few years. EIC is given yearly.

I could be wrong.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Just on reading your post, seems to me He wants to replace EIC with an incentive for an individual to move up.

Right now EIC is almost given to everyone that applies. I have heard of some families recieving around 8K.

Seems Rubio's plan reduces the incentive amount and makes it contingent on moving to a better paying job. Just my supposition, but the Rubio incentive would not be given every tax time unless the person moves up in pay scale every few years. EIC is given yearly.

I could be wrong.
The Earned Income Tax Credit reduces the amount of taxes low and moderate income people pay.You heard some families receive 8k? Nonsense man. In the case of someone workers who make really low wages the EIC can eliminate their tax bill and they will actually get a refund from government (of money they never paid). But the most I've seen in this regard is bout $500.

Rubio's plan is to eliminate the EIC, which I don't think is a bad idea. But he's replacing it with a program where the government subsidizes low wage workers. The government shouldn't be doing this. Kind of hypocritical for Rubio to talk about "big government" and then propose this. Compared to this plan raising the minimum wage would be a "small government" idea.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
The Earned Income Tax Credit reduces the amount of taxes low and moderate income people pay.You heard some families receive 8k? Nonsense man. In the case of someone workers who make really low wages the EIC can eliminate their tax bill and they will actually get a refund from government (of money they never paid). But the most I've seen in this regard is bout $500.

Rubio's plan is to eliminate the EIC, which I don't think is a bad idea. But he's replacing it with a program where the government subsidizes low wage workers. The government shouldn't be doing this. Kind of hypocritical for Rubio to talk about "big government" and then propose this. Compared to this plan raising the minimum wage would be a "small government" idea.
Yes 8k. Like I said "I heard". Eventhough, my 8k is closer to accurate than your $500.

Those who qualify for EITC for tax year 2012, can get a credit from:
  • $2 to $475 with no qualifying children
  • $9 to $3,169 with one qualifying child
  • $10 to $5,236 with two qualifying children
  • $11 to $5,891 with three or more qualifying children
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Earn...o-I-Qualify%3F

Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:

One of my cousins got $10K in EIC last year for all their kids. I don't know how they pull it off but they do.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One of my cousins got $10K in EIC last year for all their kids. I don't know how they pull it off but they do.

Only way I see that happening is if a couple has at least four kids, splits custody of their kids (so each parent has at least two), and is unmarried.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 AM

278 posts, read 273,915 times
Yeah we get the EIC on our taxes. Last year got 7k back. It was nice. Only time of the year we can go see family/bought a new vehicle since ours was stolen/torched. Get new clothes etc. Getting more than that back this year.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
It's not just 'low wage' workers who are using the tax system as a welfare program.

I know a $60K/year couple with 2 small kids who pay no taxes due to EIC and other deductions and get $1000 back in welfare from the taxpayers.

It's an idiotic welfare program.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 AM

278 posts, read 273,915 times
Its a great thing seeing how the poor get screwed every other way when it comes to pay. We get min wage or close to it so this is how we get more money legally. I am all for keeping the EIC.Bad enough Obama cut the child tax credit back.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's not just 'low wage' workers who are using the tax system as a welfare program.

I know a $60K/year couple with 2 small kids who pay no taxes due to EIC and other deductions and get $1000 back in welfare from the taxpayers.

It's an idiotic welfare program.

They would have to be unmarried to get EIC.

It made sense when it was created, then Congress expanded it several times and people figured out ways to game the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies