Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Could our economy absorb a $30/hr min wage so that people get off welfare ?

All you on the left keep talking emotion but never provide any numbers.
Well there's one for you..$30/hr.

Now tell me how that's going to work.
How much does welfare, section 8 and food stamps along with many other programs for low income workers cost us through taxes?

Maybe a higher percentage of the burden of those programs should be put into corporate taxes. Then maybe they would start hiring and giving better benefits.

And if a higher percentage of Americans had decent jobs with good healthcare the Republicans wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about a national healthcare plan that they hate.

Republicans truly are their own worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How much does welfare, section 8 and food stamps along with many other programs for low income workers cost us through taxes?

Maybe a higher percentage of the burden of those programs should be put into corporate taxes. Then maybe they would start hiring and giving better benefits.

And if a higher percentage of Americans had decent jobs with good healthcare the Republicans wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about a national healthcare plan that they hate.

Republicans truly are their own worst enemy.
I already posted the hard numbers and came up with $30/hour.

You didn't answer the question though..can our economy absorb $30/hr min wage ?
Instead you say "tax them into submission".

Show me numbers to prove your assertions above that it would work.

The jobs are gone. They are not coming back.
They are being done in other countries now.
Companies built plants and offices and are running their business fine from there.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
I already posted the hard numbers and came up with $30/hour.

Instead you say "tax them into submission".

Show me numbers to prove your assertions above that it would work.

The jobs are gone. They are not coming back.
They are being done in other countries now.
Companies built plants and offices and are running their business fine from there.
Well, we need to address that too. How about this, if an American Corporation insists on outsourcing a certain percentage of their business, then they are no longer an American company and everything they produce is subject to import taxes. And the citizenship of the board of directors is revoked.

I think that would be a good start. If you want to sell it here, build it here with American workers.

What our corporations do in the world is a crime against humanity. My daughter went on a mission trip to Malaysia when she was in high school. They had a choice to stay in a nice hotel where most Americans stay or stay with the families of the people who work for the American companies there.

My daughter chose to stay with a family of a man who worked for Nike. Their house was mostly cardboard. They barely made enough money to buy food and he worked six, ten hour days. The man was hurt on the job once but Nike treated him really well. They didn't FIRE him but they didn't pay him for the days he missed work. They paid for his doctor bills, but they took the cost out of his meager little paycheck.

That is what America gives the third world, misery and near starvation. THAT is what your party stands for.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Well, we need to address that too. How about this, if an American Corporation insists on outsourcing a certain percentage of their business, then they are no longer an American company and everything they produce is subject to import taxes. And the citizenship of the board of directors is revoked.

I think that would be a good start. If you want to sell it here, build it here with American workers.

What our corporations do in the world is a crime against humanity. My daughter went on a mission trip to Malaysia when she was in high school. They had a choice to stay in a nice hotel where most Americans stay or stay with the families of the people who work for the American companies there.

My daughter chose to stay with a family of a man who worked for Nike. Their house was mostly cardboard. They barely made enough money to buy food and he worked six, ten hour days. The man was hurt on the job once but Nike treated him really well. They didn't FIRE him but they didn't pay him for the days he missed work. They paid for his doctor bills, but they took the cost out of his meager little paycheck.

That is what America gives the third world, misery and near starvation. THAT is what your party stands for.
Bwah hah hah hah.....you think it's just the republicans. Is that how you sleep at night? By lying to yourself?

Biden, Clinton, Kerry, Kennedy and much more all signed NAFTA along with reps.

GE the king of off-shoring and corporate tax avoidance? Yep their CEO is a regular visitor at the whitehouse and heads the jobs council.

Laborer wage suppression due to importing cheap (read illegal) labor.

....and it's just the republicans? Wow.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:

You're avoiding answering the question because you know the answer is "No, the US economy cannot absorb a min wage of $30/hour".

And that's why those on government programs will stay on government programs.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Well times change and society changes over time.
Which is why arguments like "fast food isn't supposed to be a living-wage sort of job!" don't apply. Yeah, it's not supposed to be. Welcome to a service economy.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bwah hah hah hah.....you think it's just the republicans. Is that how you sleep at night? By lying to yourself?

Biden, Clinton, Kerry, Kennedy and much more all signed NAFTA along with reps.

GE the king of off-shoring and corporate tax avoidance? Yep their CEO is a regular visitor at the whitehouse and heads the jobs council.

Laborer wage suppression due to importing cheap (read illegal) labor.

....and it's just the republicans? Wow.
Agreed.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Which is why arguments like "fast food isn't supposed to be a living-wage sort of job!" don't apply. Yeah, it's not supposed to be. Welcome to a service economy.
Adjust and adapt to a lower standard of living or be left behind.

This was forecast over 20 years ago.
Globalization will be the great equalizer.

Wages go up in third world countries while wages go down in first world countries.
The outrage is only because people are finally starting to see it for what it is.

It's been going on since the 60's with mfg.
Each group is told they will be better off for it.

The 2008 crash just accelerated what has been going on for decades.

Not one empire in all of history rose to the top and stayed there..not one.
We had the benefit of WWII devastation in other countries that gave us the prosperity years and gave us the leg up in becoming a world leader.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
This must be the right-wing authoritarian streak raising its ugly head. Heaven forbid workers actually fight for what they want instead of just bowing to the right's corporate masters.

Quote:

Wages go up in third world countries while wages go down in first world countries.
The outrage is only because people are finally starting to see it for what it is.
It's about time, too.

Quote:

We had the benefit of WWII devastation in other countries that gave us the prosperity years and gave us the leg up in becoming a world leader.
I agree with all of this, but I don't see how it justifies saying that people should just bend over and take it.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:

I seem to be the only one trying to help low-wage workers sustainably adapt, by providing them affordable housing options that the middle class stubbornly refuses to allow.

Half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on shelter, according to Mortgage News Daily. THAT is why minimum wage is not a livable wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies