Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

The term "low information voter" has gained currency in the past few years. It's a standard bit for Jay Leno and other comedians who do 'man on the street' interviews. It is an inherent problem in democracy, especially nowadays when we have so many people haranguing everyone to vote at election time. Plus the demise of the daily newspaper means a double whammy. I used to buy and read at least 2 newspapers, often three, and was more broadly informed.

But there is another kind of voter, the "wrong information voter." Ronald Reagan once said “It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.” I've noticed that it is entirely possible for a well-educated, well-informed liberal to believe things that just aren't true.

Take for example the "Bush lied, thousands died" meme. We've been over and over it on CD. I've posted the quote from the Iraqi Minister of Military Industrialization where he says that even Saddam's own senior officers thought that he still had WMD in 2003. I posted this piece by a Yale prof who says it.
Yale prof confirms what all should have known: Bush did not lie about WMD.

Yet still, not just low-info voters, but educated, informed liberals still believe that "Bush lied, thousands died."

Any theories about how this happens, and what can be done about it? There's a quote from Adam Smith that goes something like (paraphrase) "Never try to use reason to dislodge a belief that is the product of emotion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The term "low information voter" has gained currency in the past few years. It's a standard bit for Jay Leno and other comedians who do 'man on the street' interviews. It is an inherent problem in democracy, especially nowadays when we have so many people haranguing everyone to vote at election time. Plus the demise of the daily newspaper means a double whammy. I used to buy and read at least 2 newspapers, often three, and was more broadly informed.

But there is another kind of voter, the "wrong information voter." Ronald Reagan once said “It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.” I've noticed that it is entirely possible for a well-educated, well-informed liberal to believe things that just aren't true.

Take for example the "Bush lied, thousands died" meme. We've been over and over it on CD. I've posted the quote from the Iraqi Minister of Military Industrialization where he says that even Saddam's own senior officers thought that he still had WMD in 2003. I posted this piece by a Yale prof who says it.
Yale prof confirms what all should have known: Bush did not lie about WMD.

Yet still, not just low-info voters, but educated, informed liberals still believe that "Bush lied, thousands died."

Any theories about how this happens, and what can be done about it? There's a quote from Adam Smith that goes something like (paraphrase) "Never try to use reason to dislodge a belief that is the product of emotion."
You know what? There are millions of Republicans that would like a do-over in Iraq as well. NO ONE is singing Bush's praises over his handling of Iraq. Well, except maybe you.

If I had time to deal with the many misconceptions that I see put forth about 'libruls' every day on this forum; I would be one busy woman.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Any theories about how this happens
Confirmation bias.

Quote:
what can be done about it?
Nothing.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
You know, I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I cheer for and support the leafs. Don't ask me why. They have sucked for decades, have let me down innumerable times and really and truly do not deserve my support but I support them anyway. If I was asked why I really don't think I could give a reasonable answer to the question. Now, it really doesn't hurt anyone but myself that I support this team of losers. If however I have the same kind of unreasonable, mindless and blind support for a political party then I can be hurting other people, my country and in the case of the USA, the entire world. The fact that so many people are exactly like this is something political parties depend on. This is their "Hard core" and without that core they would cease to exist. This truth is something that is a very serious problem for the GOP even if they usually will not admit it. The GOP core is steadily shrinking in numbers at the same time as, because of demographics primarily, the hard core of their opponents is growing.

Even though I'm a center liberal I recognize the necessity of a good solid conservative alternative. I believe if the GOP continues on it's present course they will shortly become a rump party that represents no alternative at all.

In a worse case scenario the Leafs could actually drive me from the fold and the GOP is accomplishing just that with many of their supporters. Meanwhile the members of the democratic hard core who are fed up have no alternative and so they stay right where they are supporting their loosing team.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
The universities are pumping out indoctrinated progressives.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
If a lie is repeated long enough it is believed as the truth. If it is a catchy saying it doesnt take as much repeating and is harder to change once believed as the truth.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Speaking of wrong information voters, what do you say about the votes of the 52% of Republicans who believe that God created man as we are today sometime within the last 10,000 years - that being the age of the Earth?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know what? There are millions of Republicans that would like a do-over in Iraq as well. NO ONE is singing Bush's praises over his handling of Iraq. Well, except maybe you.

If I had time to deal with the many misconceptions that I see put forth about 'libruls' every day on this forum; I would be one busy woman.
Supply the quote where I am "singing Bush's praises over his handling of Iraq?" You can't. This is actually a pretty good example of wrong info syndrome. I said one thing, and your liberal brain somehow transformed it into something entirely different.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Speaking of wrong information voters, what do you say about the votes of the 52% of Republicans who believe that God created man as we are today sometime within the last 10,000 years - that being the age of the Earth?
Yeah its kind of hard to defend yourself as being informed if you think civilization started because of a talking snake, and magical piece of fruit.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
When Obama was first elected I used to be a low information voter. I wished him a successful presidency but at the time I had no clue what his policies were and how negatively they would effect me. One evening scanning channels I stopped on MSNBS and as I listened what they said which didn't make sense. After that I heard Obama saying "tax the rich" and as I listened to his definition of the rich again I knew he was lying. I started listening more, I heard the disgusting attacks coming from the Obama team I remember thinking, is this Obamas version of being a president of all people. As I listened I was amazed that people would believe the things Obama said. I thought Americans were intelligent but boy was I wrong. People who believe Obama are a gullible lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies