Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 PM

7,156 posts, read 4,746,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Unfortunately, people who have been blessed with incredible privilege often cannot see it for themselves until it does happen to them. Until such a time comes, they cannot possibly understand what it is actually like to be discriminated against on a daily or more frequent basis, just for existing as they are, which is why it is so easy for them to simply tell others to shut up and get over it, as if it were nothing.

Just shameful.

I consider myself blessed with incredible privilege. I've been discriminated against on a daily basis at a particular job I held.

I didn't hold resentment.
I got over it and moved on to where I was appreciated.

Get over it. It's the best thing to do for one's well-being.
Allows one to move forward to a better self-respecting life.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,707 times
You still don't get it. When I speak of being discriminated against I am talking about being told practically from day one that you are bad, you are flawed, you are less than a person. You are dirty, evil and sinful. I am talking about being unloved and abused by your parents, being kicked out onto the street and forced into homelessness. I am talking about having to constantly worry about being the victim of assaults and murders; having to watch your friends get assaulted and murdered. All due to factors inherent to your very self that are totally beyond your control, and for having hurt absolutely no one.

This is the kind of discrimination homosexuals (and many others groups of people without privilege) the world over have to go through on a daily basis. Not all of them experience all of these things, but nearly all of them experience at least some. And they are not the kind of things you just get over. This is what I am talking about when I speak of privilege. Unless you've had to deal with this sort of thing your entire life, you have absolutely no idea. You can't possibly. As much as I've tried to educate myself about this, having never gone through it personally, I will never truly be able to understand. But I try my best. I wish more people would at least make the attempt. But, being privileged, they do not even feel the need to make the attempt, and feel entitled to make the most horrific judgements about people they know absolutely nothing about, whose suffering they cannot possibly comprehend.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-11-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 AM

7,156 posts, read 4,746,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
You still don't get it. When I speak of being discriminated against I am talking about being told practically from day one that you are bad, you are flawed, you are less than a person. You are dirty, evil and sinful. I am talking about being unloved and abused by your parents, being kicked out onto the street and forced into homelessness. I am talking about having to constantly worry about being the victim of assaults and murders; having to watch your friends get assaulted and murdered. All due to factors inherent to your very self that are totally beyond your control, and for having hurt absolutely no one.

This is the kind of discrimination homosexuals (and many others groups of people without privilege) the world over have to go through on a daily basis. Not all of them experience all of these things, but nearly all of them experience at least some. And they are not the kind of things you just get over. This is what I am talking about when I speak of privilege. Unless you've had to deal with this sort of thing your entire life, you have absolutely no idea. You can't possibly. As much as I've tried to educate myself about this, having never gone through it personally, I will never truly be able to understand. But I try my best. I wish more people would at least make the attempt. But, being privileged, they do not even feel the need to make the attempt, and feel entitled to make the most horrific judgements about people they know absolutely nothing about, whose suffering they cannot possibly comprehend.

Your example seems quite extreme. Seriously.
If I knew someone who was subjected to those extremes, I would suggest psychological counseling.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 AM

268 posts, read 241,374 times
Just wait until US Muslims start discriminating based on their religious beliefs. That'll be a major mess.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
If I knew someone who was subjected to those extremes, I would suggest psychological counseling.
Listen, I've spent time volunteering for gay youth organizations here in Portland. I've seen these things with my own eyes. Trust me when I say I am not exaggerating. The building where I did my volunteer work even had a memorial area for kids who simply couldn't take it any more and committed suicide. The things I said aren't examples, they are facts of daily life for many homosexual people, especially homosexual teenagers.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-11-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
I hope he shuts down his business.

I would if I was threatened by people who do things against my beliefs.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 AM

723 posts, read 634,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I hope he shuts down his business.

I would if I was threatened by people who do things against my beliefs.
If he's immature enough to shut down his business instead of adhere to the law, that would be fine with me.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,784,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
What makes it extreme? Nearly half of all homeless teenagers are LGBT. Almost every gay person has been bullied or discriminated against growing up. Gays have higher rates of depression and suicide due to society's treatment. Unfortunately, many end up resorting to drugs and risky behavior as a coping mechanism and don't always get psychological counseling.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
If he's immature enough to shut down his business instead of adhere to the law, that would be fine with me.
the law unconstitutional

Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
What makes it extreme? Nearly half of all homeless teenagers are LGBT. Almost every gay person has been bullied or discriminated against growing up. Gays have higher rates of depression and suicide due to society's treatment. Unfortunately, many end up resorting to drugs and risky behavior as a coping mechanism and don't always get psychological counseling.
how come as society accepts the perverts more and more the suicide number keep on climbing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies