Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
His religious beliefs forbid him to bake cakes for gay people? What kind of stupid belief system is that?

Should be allowed to refuse service to black people too? What if he were a doctor? Should he be allowed to refuse to treat gay people?

We'll never outlaw bigotry, but we CAN outlaw discrimination disguised as "freedom of religion".
Here is what I don't get. What if the person really just doesn't like gay people for whatever reason ? Is that really so wrong ? Do we have to like everyone ? It's his choice what he chooses to do, it's his business.
In MI we are allowed to conceal carry a firearm, but private business can choose whether or not to let us in by posting a "no firearms allowed " sign. It sucks but it's his choice, I'm not crying about it. I know everyone is going to jump on this and say it's different and it is.. but then again it isn't. It just seems like we are losing our "freedom of choice" over PC BS laws. It is just getting out of hand.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here is what I don't get. What if the person really just doesn't like gay people for whatever reason ? Is that really so wrong ? Do we have to like everyone ? It's his choice what he chooses to do, it's his business.
In MI we are allowed to conceal carry a firearm, but private business can choose whether or not to let us in by posting a "no firearms allowed " sign. It sucks but it's his choice, I'm not crying about it. I know everyone is going to jump on this and say it's different and it is.. but then again it isn't. It just seems like we are losing our "freedom of choice" over PC BS laws. It is just getting out of hand.
Gun freaks are not a protected class. That's why it's different.

There is no "freedom of choice" in any legal sense. When you run a public business, you are not allowed to discriminate against customers of any protected class. Nothing is getting out of hand -- here in Minnesota, it has been illegal, since 1993, to discriminate against gays in a business transaction. These laws are not new.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 AM

723 posts, read 634,430 times
Quote:
He's more than free to feel however he likes about gay people. That's not wrong at all. And no one is forcing him to change his opinion. This has nothing to do with that whatsoever.

This is simply about a refusal to serve people based on their sexual orientation, which is illegal under Colorado law.

Quote:
Gun ownership is not covered under anti-discrimination law, so that would be a valid reason for refusal of service.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
the law unconstitutional
This is not a sentence. But if you filled in the remaining words, it still wouldn't be true.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
how come as society accepts the perverts more and more the suicide number keep on climbing?
At first glance, I can't find anything on the suicide rates of LGBT adults. A recent study, however, find that openly gay men experience higher rates of positive mental health than their straight counterparts (the opposite of what researchers expected to find).

What you're thinking is the rate among LGBT youth, which another study finds can be lowered by a positive and supportive environment. An article on the Huffington Post breaks it down by region and it's pretty much what you'd expect, with the highest rates in the South. However, there have been some high profile gay teen suicides in recent years, inspiring programs like the It Gets Better Project. This doesn't necessarily reflect suicide rates themselves. One likely scenario is that gay rights are themselves in the news right now, and it's much harder for the closeted gay kid in some Mississippi backwater to fly under the radar, as was an option in the past. Thus, bullying increases, increasing the likelihood of suicide.

Basically, reality is nuanced, but this does not negate the need for equality.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
He's more than free to feel however he likes about gay people. That's not wrong at all. And no one is forcing him to change his opinion. This has nothing to do with that whatsoever.

This is simply about a refusal to serve people based on their sexual orientation, which is illegal under Colorado law.
this country's first amendment is supposed to guarantee that things like this court case don't happen.

If you don't like the first amendment change it by constitutional amendment or better leave this country, or better yet this world.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
At first glance, I can't find anything on the suicide rates of LGBT adults. A recent study, however, find that openly gay men experience higher rates of positive mental health than their straight counterparts (the opposite of what researchers expected to find).

What you're thinking is the rate among LGBT youth, which another study finds can be lowered by a positive and supportive environment. An article on the Huffington Post breaks it down by region and it's pretty much what you'd expect, with the highest rates in the South. However, there have been some high profile gay teen suicides in recent years, inspiring programs like the It Gets Better Project. This doesn't necessarily reflect suicide rates themselves. One likely scenario is that gay rights are themselves in the news right now, and it's much harder for the closeted gay kid in some Mississippi backwater to fly under the radar, as was an option in the past. Thus, bullying increases, increasing the likelihood of suicide.

Basically, reality is nuanced, but this does not negate the need for equality.
you did not understand what I said.
fact there are more "gay suicides" today then there were years ago.

now figure out why

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
this country's first amendment is supposed to guarantee that things like this court case don't happen.

If you don't like the first amendment change it by constitutional amendment or better leave this country, or better yet this world.
Do you believe that ALL religious beliefs should trump any law?

Quote:

Sure, I'll just move to the moon because you don't understand the the Constitution works.

The First Amendment gives you the right to practice your religion as you see fit. However, in no way whatsoever does it negate any other law, or provide an exemption from following any other law.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
you did not understand what I said.
fact there are more "gay suicides" today then there were years ago.

now figure out why
For me to do that, you'll have to provide a source that what you're saying is true. I didn't find anything about that when I looked. Do you have a link?

If it is true, my guess is that those suicides occurred in less supportive areas, as noted in all the links I posted that you apparently never bothered to read.

Read those links, then figure out why gay men are more mentally healthy than straight men and get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies