Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,813,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
If tt is in America then they wouldn't be employed by a taxi service if they refuse customers.
Why not? Your entire argument is that they should be able to refuse customers who offend them.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,268,858 times
Quote:
If I am in a foreign country, yes I would respect their beliefs and customs.

If tt is in America then they wouldn't be employed by a taxi service if they refuse customers.
You must have missed the case where cab drivers, right here in America, were refusing service to people who had dogs or alcohol because of their religious beliefs.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Commissioners at one of the country's biggest airports are considering punishing Muslim cab drivers who refuse service to passengers possessing alcohol or guide dogs.

The cabbies claim transporting those items violates Islamic law.

"It is against our faith and the airport is discriminating against Muslim drivers," says a cab driver who would only give his first name, Hashim.

Three-quarters of the 900 cabbies licensed to operate at the airport are Muslim, most from Somalia. It is unclear how many are adhering to this letter of Islamic law which considers the purchase, drinking and transport of alcoholic beverages a sin.
Muslim Cab Drivers Refuse to Transport Alcohol, and Dogs - ABC News

Should they be punished?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,369,400 times
Quote:
THe point is if a Christian shows up at a gay bar and acts disrespectful, the owner should have the right to refuse service and toss him or her out. Just like the baker should have the right to refuse service to customers who morally offend him.
Taxi drivers are refusing service to women, people carrying wine and blind people with guide dogs. They're refusing service to people who morally offend them. According to you, they have that right. Now that right is debatable, isn't it?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You must have missed the case where cab drivers, right here in America, were refusing service to people who had dogs or alcohol because of their religious beliefs.
In Toronto, they were refusing to pick up women.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Taxi drivers are refusing service to women, people carrying wine and blind people with guide dogs. They're refusing service to people who morally offend them. According to you, they have that right. Now that right is debatable, isn't it?
Notice the lack of a response? He didn't respond to my earlier question about other religions breaking the law based on their religious beliefs either.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM

I'm sure txdave is fine with it. After all, he's the one who said you have every right to refuse a customer who morally offends you.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,151,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm sure txdave is fine with it. After all, he's the one who said you have every right to refuse a customer who morally offends you.
I just hope txdave doesn't ever look for a ride for a taxi I am driving - his beliefs morally offend me!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM

Looks like txdave, the Staunch Defender of Religious Freedoms, has run away.....
I guess the religious freedoms only apply to people of his particular religious persuasion.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM

15,141 posts, read 8,706,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Both are abominations, and according to one poster all of the OT abominations still apply.

If you have a problem take it up with them.

But it does go to show how "Christians" pick and choose what is bad, what isn't, what was, and what is ok now.
1st, I believe I mentioned the rather obvious point that very few people hold the same exact beliefs about anything ... including religious beliefs. I believe I also mentioned that no one ... not you, or I, or anyone else has the authority to pick which beliefs are valid and which are not.. we're simply required to respect their beliefs, and they, ours.

Secondly .. this nonsense about "Christians pick what is bad, what is not ...." distinguishes them from everyone else, in what way? EVERYBODY does that about EVERYTHING. Do you not pick and choose what is right, what is wrong, what is good, what is bad? Of course you do ... every one of your posts have done just those things. The problem you seem to have is that you believe that only those who agree with you possess thst right ... those you disagree with are wrong, with the only measure of right and wrong, your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.