Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We pretty much do and we eat pretty well.

We budget $125.00/week in food and stick pretty close to that figure. $125.00/week=$541.25/month. We eat really well and healthy.

The minimum SNAP allotment for two people is $347.00/month or $80.13/week and I think we could live on that if we cut out some items that aren't nutritious such as coffee, coffee creamer and don't forget toilet paper and paper towels. Also out would be Little Debbie Snack Cakes and potato chips but those aren't allowed in my house anyway.

But one thing the pro-welfare side is missing is the fact that SNAP was never supposed to pay for all your food needs but, as its name implies, to be a supplement meaning SNAP was never intended to cover 100% of food needs.

??? I've known people who got $25/month SNAP, do you mean the maximum SNAP allotment for two people is $347,00/month? I believe the minimum is $10/month per person.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 AM

[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;32568521]The big problem with a lot of these people on gov't assistance is that they think they need a five course meal every evening. IT'S CALLED RICE AND BEANS PEOPLE!!!!!!! Sure that isn't ideal every day but you got to do what you got to do, and why a family of five can't eat on far less than fifty dollars a week is beyond me...... A bag of rice costs less than $2 and a bag of dried beans is about .80 cents....

No excuse. None.[/quote]

??? I'm on a medically restricted diet and rice and beans are two things I'm supposed to consume sparingly.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A friend of mine goes on a mission trip to Nicaragua every year and takes lots of pictures. One year she stayed with a fairly affluent family (their house had TWO rooms). They ate black beans, rice and tortillas for every stinking meal, supplemented with locally grown veggies.

We have the richest poor people in the world. Honestly, can you imagine telling someone who lives in New Delhi and lives on about $2 a month that in America, poor people get free cell phones. They wouldn't believe you.

20yrsinBranson

??? millions of poor Americans don't get free cell phones and don't even qualify.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

??? I'm on a medically restricted diet and rice and beans are two things I'm supposed to consume sparingly.
I don't know what your dietary restrictions are but there are plenty of dirt cheap foods out there. I'm sure there's a way. Without knowing your limitations I can't give any examples.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
??? I've known people who got $25/month SNAP, do you mean the maximum SNAP allotment for two people is $347,00/month? I believe the minimum is $10/month per person.
Sorry, that was maximum not minimum.

But the real question is why government should be in charge of handing out charity?

You don't see a moral problem with taking the work product of someone who works for it and giving it to someone that doesn't?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
If they spent half the time letting businesses work and put people to work we wouldn't need so many people on food stamps.

They want food stamps to be the new normal.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Leading by example....? Please! Standing there in their suits and ties looking at coupons. In a week they'll go back to their posh life.

This is a publicity stunt, plain and simple. Lord knows they are going to need it come 2014. Any self respecting lower class people would look at these fools in disgust. It's downright patronizing to them.
If I didn't know any better, you sound jealous of the fact that they got to choose the length of time they were on SNAP. Look, it was a stunt. A stunt in defiance and to protest the proposed cuts to the program for whatever reason. What type of government doesn't look after it's downtrodden and poor? I understand people taking advantage of the system and that's something we both agree needs to change, but not everyone on SNAP is like that and you damn well know it.

I commend these representatives for doing what they did. At least they can show the Republican Congressmen and women who propose this cut the type of damage it can do to a family who needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The big problem with a lot of these people on gov't assistance is that they think they need a five course meal every evening, and that if they don't have enough money to get that then they have to go hungry, that they aren't getting enough benefits. IT'S CALLED RICE AND BEANS PEOPLE!!!!!!! Sure that isn't ideal every day but you got to do what you got to do, and why a family of five can't eat on far less than fifty dollars a week is beyond me. A bag of rice costs less than $2 and a bag of dried beans is about .80 cents.

No excuse. None.
This just reeks of privileged elitism. You act like as if you know what's going on in the every day lives of people living off SNAP. When I was a child and even a teenager, I was living off of food stamps for a while and was NOT, repeat, WAS NOT having five course meals every night. You try eating rice and beans every single night and tell me how you like it, so don't you DARE attempt to tell other people to do it. Lead by example, buddy.

Anyway, you're the type of people this "stunt" was meant to highlight. Like flies to a flytrap you come roaring out looking down on others less privileged than you. Please. You don't have the right.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If they spent half the time letting businesses work and put people to work we wouldn't need so many people on food stamps.

No they don't. They want to show that cuts to program designed to help the poor, downtrodden, and lower class of the American economy is ridiculous and outrageous. SNAP isn't meant to be an endless sustained system for citizens. It's designed to help people get up on their feet with some income for food and necessities; however, it's the actions of people who take advantage of this that gives the rest of them a bad name.

god, your arrogance is astounding.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by janelle144

If they spent half the time letting businesses
work and put people to work we wouldn't need so many people on food
stamps.

So, you're vehemently opposed to abortion for women who literally cannot afford another mouth to feed, and against helping them feed their children once they're born.
Typical. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
I see a Safeway ad; wrong place for food if you're looking to save money.
Exactly, only a real dumb poor person would shop at Safeway. If using a EBT card your best bet is Save A Lot or Aldies and of course Gordon foods that sells to the public in bulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies