Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You try eating rice and beans every single night and tell me how you like it, so don't you DARE attempt to tell other people to do it. Lead by example, buddy.

"We" constantly get accused of preferring that people just die in the streets.
Yep, when those people that would 'die in the streets' don't get supported to the extent that you can't tell them apart from the self-supporting people down the street, it isn't enough.
Eating 'rice & beans' every day keeps a big share of the world from starving and for some would be a luxury...in the US it's deprivation

Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:

This just reeks of privileged elitism. You act like as if you know what's going on in the every day lives of people living off SNAP. When I was a child and even a teenager, I was living off of food stamps for a while and was NOT, repeat, WAS NOT having five course meals every night. You try eating rice and beans every single night and tell me how you like it, so don't you DARE attempt to tell other people to do it. Lead by example, buddy.

Anyway, you're the type of people this "stunt" was meant to highlight. Like flies to a flytrap you come roaring out looking down on others less privileged than you. Please. You don't have the right.
LMAO..... don't get me wrong, I'm flattered that you think I come from a privileged background, but nothing is further from the truth. I guess you'll just have to take my word on that. I'm well below poverty level I can tell you that.
Quote:
You try eating rice and beans every single night and tell me how you like
it
Well #1 it's not about what you like. I really couldn't care less if you like it. It's about doing what you have to do in trying times. Would it be pleasant to eat that meal every night? No, but you'd get to eat, and on a shoe string budget at that. What's more important? Getting what you like to eat or getting to eat at all? I'd pick the latter. Getting what you "like" to eat is a luxury.
Quote:
Lead by example, buddy.
That is exactly what I'm doing. My family went through some very trying times a number of years ago and do you know what we survived on? Take a wild guess...... Rice and beans every day, and day after day. We couldn't afford to buy the food we "liked" or the food that we "wanted" but guess what? We got to eat and we did so with the food we could afford. Ramen noodle soup is another good one. You get 6 meals for under $2..... You can't beat that.

Fortunately times are better for us now, but we did it, so can others. No it wasn't "fair" but we did what we had to in order to survive and we didn't complain that government wasn't giving us enough money to buy what we "liked" either so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-11-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"We" constantly get accused of preferring that people just die in the streets.
Yep, when those people that would 'die in the streets' don't get supported to the extent that you can't tell them apart from the self-supporting people down the street, it isn't enough.
Eating 'rice & beans' every day keeps a big share of the world from starving and for some would be a luxury...in the US it's deprivation
That's right!!!!!

A lot of people in other countries would KILL for a bag of rice and a can of beans.... Only in America I tell ya!

We ought to eliminate the whole SNAP program and just start handing out 50lb bags of rice and cases of Ramen Noodle. Sounds like a grand Idea to me.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Republican war on the poor, probably not a good idea politically.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, you're vehemently opposed to abortion for women who literally cannot afford another mouth to feed, and against helping them feed their children once they're born.
Typical. Can't say I'm surprised.
Women who literally cannot afford another mouth to feed shouldn't be getting pregnant.

When a man complains about child support payments, the answer comes back that he should have kept his zipper closed if he didn't want a kid.

But when it comes to a woman, saying she should keep her legs closed is misogynist.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 AM

I'm just curious as to how many of these people who get food stamps and say they can't afford to feed their families after these cuts have cable tv, monthly cell phone plans, and internet access. I'm not sarcastically asking, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
SNAP is SUPPLEMENTAL, not the only source of food money.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
What part of

Supplemental
Nutritional
Assistance
Program

Don't some of you people understand.

FYI they were shopping at SAFEWAY.

Anyone who knows anything about saving money on food would almost never shop there unless it was the only place in town.

Some of you *******s who expect those Congressional Members to know how to spend wisely are as idiotic as that whole social experiment.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
I like the idea behind what these representatives are doing. Take a look:

I'm not exactly sure who all is exactly protesting, but I like the idea behind it and the fact that they're leading by example.
47 million people are in SNAP. They want to cut it by 4 billion dollars. That comes to $85 per year per person, or about $1.70 per week.

So even if you round that up, and discounting any of that money that goes towards administrative costs rather than direct benefits, you're saying $2 less per week is a horrifying cut requiring protest? During a time when we are running 600 billion in deficits?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I sure hope the Republicans are living for a week on food stamps too. But I doubt that they would.

Food stamps are for leeches and parasites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies