Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times

Advertisements

So many of the liberals pride themselves of being for social justice. They talk about being champions for the poor and the disenfranchised. They often talk about how they want to combat poverty and level the playing field. But it seems that liberals fighting class disparity has fell by the waist side, and the only "social justice" they care about is for gays and gay marriage. Some of the most liberal cities in America are some of the most marginalized. Many hardened liberals pass by the needy and homeless everyday, without much of a care or outrage. In many liberal cities, they've chased out much of the middle class. So something doesn't add up here.

Well the reality is that liberals know that their "method" of combating poverty doesn't work. They realized that they can't just raise taxes and legislate poverty out of existence. To some degree instead of just admitting that what they're doing doesn't work, they have decided to change the agenda. So now the gay agenda is their biggest priority. It is a much simpler to solve this issue with legislation. You can just create legislation and bam, you have gay marriage into existence.

But all of the other issues of homlessness, marginalization, racism, classism, social mobility, and a scalable model for success aren't so easily solvable by just legislation. They take some real understanding. Hell, sometimes it may require you TALK to people, and not TALK AT people (this is what liberals are known for). The reality is that liberal have NO idea how to solve these issues, so now days they pretend that these segments don't exist. It's much harder to say they don't care because they can't solve the problems. They just want to go ahead and ignore it, and throw their latest charity case to make them seem more "accepting" and "tolerant".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:22 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,782 times
Actually, liberals support gay marriage because they believe in equal rights for everyone. Or as Dick Cheney put it, "freedom means freedom for everyone"

Nice try though. Actually, I take that back. Horrible try.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Actually, liberals support gay marriage because they believe in equal rights for everyone. Or as Dick Cheney put it, "freedom means freedom for everyone"

Nice try though. Actually, I take that back. Horrible try.

But is gay marriage more important than all of the other social issues that exist in America today? Why have liberals all of a sudden decided to ignore this, but seems to be 100% focused on gay marriage? Is that more important than combating poverty?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
how do you know "all" the liberals have stopped caring about poverty?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:31 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
But is gay marriage more important than all of the other social issues that exist in America today? Why have liberals all of a sudden decided to ignore this, but seems to be 100% focused on gay marriage? Is that more important than combating poverty?
no one is ignoring poverty. Not sure what you're talking about.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 AM

687 posts, read 1,494,924 times
Quote:
But all of the other issues of homlessness, marginalization, racism, classism, social mobility, and a scalable model for success aren't so easily solvable by just legislation. They take some real understanding. Hell, sometimes it may require you TALK to people, and not TALK AT people (this is what liberals are known for). The reality is that liberal have NO idea how to solve these issues, so now days they pretend that these segments don't exist. It's much harder to say they don't care because they can't solve the problems. They just want to go ahead and ignore it, and throw their latest charity case to make them seem more "accepting" and "tolerant".
You are 100% correct: I have NO idea how to solve these issues. Please share your ideas. I don't want to ignore the problems. If you can give some concrete solutions, I'd love to try to implement them in my community.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
So many of the liberals pride themselves of being for social justice. They talk about being champions for the poor and the disenfranchised. They often talk about how they want to combat poverty and level the playing field. But it seems that liberals fighting class disparity has fell by the waist side, and the only "social justice" they care about is for gays and gay marriage. Some of the most liberal cities in America are some of the most marginalized. Many hardened liberals pass by the needy and homeless everyday, without much of a care or outrage. In many liberal cities, they've chased out much of the middle class. So something doesn't add up here.

Well the reality is that liberals know that their "method" of combating poverty doesn't work. They realized that they can't just raise taxes and legislate poverty out of existence. To some degree instead of just admitting that what they're doing doesn't work, they have decided to change the agenda. So now the gay agenda is their biggest priority. It is a much simpler to solve this issue with legislation. You can just create legislation and bam, you have gay marriage into existence.

I can see that you have spent a great deal of time discussing these issues with "liberals." Certainly you seem to have mastered what you consider to be the liberal art of talking AT others and ignoring problems that won't easily just resolve themselves - great first steps toward becoming a conservative talk show host. So, how would you solve the "problem" of homosexuality? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
You are 100% correct: I have NO idea how to solve these issues. Please share your ideas. I don't want to ignore the problems. If you can give some concrete solutions, I'd love to try to implement them in my community.

I actually have quite a few ideas of how you solve class disparity issues. Unlike most liberals I actually give a damn. I came up from poverty myself, so it's really an important issue for discussion for me. I just noticed as of late, liberals seem to be ignoring all of the other big social issues pretty visible in society today, and instead are putting all of their politicals guns behind the whole gay agenda.

I don't believe you can solve issues of poverty WITH legislation. It's just a harder problem in general, which takes changing people's mindsets. But I don't think any big government legislation is going to get rid of poverty.

The real issue is that liberals always try to solve issues via legislation. Meaning more big government as the end all be all source of solving problems. But the thing is, it hasn't been working. There aren't any good results.

But can liberals admit that it doesn't work? Seems like they need to focus on the "next big problem" instead of solving old ones.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
You think liberals only care about gays because everything else is hard. Ok, got it. Amusing.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You think liberals only care about gays because everything else is hard. Ok, got it. Amusing.

Considering that liberals have failed hispanics, blacks, asians, the poor, and other groups that they rallied behind in the name of "social justice", it seems like just making marriage legal is easier by comparison. It also seems like some of the most marginalized places are largely liberal, with some of the largest income disparity. Go figure!

I mean I don't think the lack of gay marriage is going to be a problem with America at large as much as class, race, and other issues are. But I'm just saying liberals seem less focused on combating poverty on a national level, and things like abortion and gay marriage have dominated liberals dialog.

I'm not going to say conservatives have better solutions either. But I simply don't think any party can solve these sort of issues. At least not by direct legislation.

The real thing is, it seems like just because the "liberal way" doesn't work, then people are more content ignoring it. So did liberals really care about the poor to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies