Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guess that is why the democratic ran city called Detroit and chicago are the murder capitols of the USA. you just proved me right. thnx.
And southern/sunbelt states are crime-free utopias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
You don't know what you are talking about it.

Such as New Orleans?

Or Saint Louis?

Oh wait, don't forget Birmingham.

Anyway, some of the safest USA cities (San Diego, NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco, Santa Ana) are in gun control states.

But it seems to be that it is IMPOSSIBLE to explain to conservatives that people who live in places with strict gun laws aren't spending their lives avoiding bullets.

Europe, Canada and Australia's cities have strict gun laws... guess what?

They haven't become war zones.

Conservatives' fears are just a product of their paranoia.
But hold on for one second...

If some of the most dangerous cities are in gun control states, AND some of the safest cities are in gun control states, AND some of the safest cities are in lax gun control states, AND some of the most dangerous cities are in lax gun control states. Using simple boolean logic gun control or lack thereof plays little part in any randomly sampled city either being dangerous, or safe.

So that calls into question the efficacy of gun control to provide safety. That being so, and owning firearms being a natural right specifically recognized by the constitution, it would be wisest to leave it the way it is.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:

Such as New Orleans?

Or Saint Louis?

Anyway, some of the safest USA cities (San Diego, NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco, Santa Ana) are in gun control states.

But it seems to be that it is IMPOSSIBLE to explain to conservatives that people who live in places with strict gun laws aren't spending their lives avoiding bullets.

Meh, as mentioned before, I live in a state where gun laws are lax and crime is about half less than the state I was born and raised in.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Here is something that I doubt you can comprehend. Well... I know you can't. Why you might ask? Because it makes logical sense would be my answer.

The Left, a large portion of them, does NOT trust any firearm owner. They do not differentiate between legal and illegal gun owners... Here's my point. Felons, people with serious mental heath issues, and so forth ARE ALREADY COMPLETELY BANNED FROM OWNING, BEING IN THE POSSESSION OF, OR EVEN TOUCHING ANY FIREARM AND/OR AMMO let alone an AR15 or a 11+ round magazine.

With that said, answer this for me.

What sense does it then make to make new laws to:
  1. Limit magazine sizes (which effectively, as a side effect, bans hundreds of firearms that are manufactured to use a higher capacity magazine.)
  2. Outright ban some of the most popular hand guns and riffle currently in use in the U.S.
  3. Ban a whole bucket load of other cosmetic features such as vertical grips, angled fore grips, collapsible stocks, pistol grips, folding stocks, etc (which bans hundreds more firearms).
As a way to remove guns from those who by law, AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE ANY FEATURES ON THEIR FIREARMS AT ALL BECAUSE THEY AREN'T ALLOWED TO OWN ANY FIREARM? Stop being naive. The very same politicians from the left who claim to only want to "keep guns out of the hands of criminals" have also stated but not as vocally that they want all guns banned. The problem is that they can not, so they're attempting a back door approach by regulating the hell out of it.

First off, I think it's stupid for you to talk when you've done absolutely no research and have absolutely no clue. Lets start off with the fact that there are NOT 50 gun deaths per day. That is a lie that you pulled out of your behind. Second, we both already know that you didn't bother to research how many people use firearms each year for protection. If you did, you'd know that it was thousands according to studies by independent groups. YouTube is also filled with live news and security footage and stories of women, senior citizens, rape victims, private store owners, and even a couple of teenager who used firearms to save their and their families life.

As usual with the typical uneducated anti-gun crowed, you are arguing made up facts and assumptions. over 100,000,000 million people in the U.S. own firearms. There are over 314,000,000 firearms in the U.S. Many of the 100 million have several firearms in the home. Yet only 62 children out of millions have accidentally died from firearms. To put this into perspective, 94 children between the age of 1-14 were accidentally poisoned to death in 2010, 308 died from accidental fires, 1,118 suffocated, 1,499 from transportation related deaths, 62 died from falling, 726 accidentally drowned. With so many gun, and so little fatal injuries to children, it would appear that your fear mongering lies about how most gun owners leave carelessly leave their firearms laying around for children to play with or to be easily stolen facually false. The facts don't back you up.

Pot calling the kettle black? Kind of exactly like how the Left would rather impose laws to restrict the gun rights of lawful gun owners while doing absolutely nothing to fix the crime problem.

This what annoys me about you all. You make absolutely no sense at all. NONE! Hey Einstein, Moonbat, or what ever you're calling yourself. How can you claim you have a gun and even carry one concealed, and then in the very SAME sentence, say you do not believe carry/owning a gun makes you safe. Not only did you go as far to say it doesn't make you safe, you claimed "quite the contrary", so you basically believe it puts you in danger. What is it? Are you lying about actually owning a gun or are you suicidal or are you mentally challenged?
^^^^^^^
Very good post.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:

Such as New Orleans?

Or Saint Louis?

You do realize Canadian citizens have plenty of guns correct? You must also realize they have "assault rifles" (which are really just normal guns to us, yet "assault rifles to *******s") heck, canadian citizens have nicer guns than I can get here in California....

It's the culture we have in America, not the guns. You'll never get peace on stolen land.

You failed to mention Oakland, Stockton, Fresno, San Bernardino, Richmond, East palo alto, and various other cities. And yes..... That's all in CALIFORNIA ALONE.

Also, the "safest cities" that you listed, are all on the "safest big cities" list.. So stop trying to pick your facts, that only suite your agenda. According to Forbes list, 3 out of the 5 cities in the top 5 are republican states with loose gun laws.

You fail to realize that these gangs and murders in saint louis, etc. Are not being carried out by law-abiding citizens, with guns they purchased. Drugs are illegal, you think that'll stop you from getting some coke? Prostitution is illegal, you think I cant get a prostitute? Cmon man...... Seriously... Not only can I get both, I can get both from the comfort of my own home online.

Also- you are looking at just one piece of the pie. You fail to mention, that some of the safest cities, are also some of the most educated, and affluent cities. You also forget that we still have guns in California. Matter of a fact, I have an AK sitting right next to my bed right now, 2 ar15's in my safe, another 2 ak's in my safe, 5 pistols, shall I go on? 30 rounders are illegal? You can buy "rebuild kits" that are 30 round mags, it's just illegal to put them together.. You think that stops a criminal? NOPE. So while you're bragging about liberal cities being safe, you fail to mention they also have plenty of guns.

Last edited by mrazyattic; 12-17-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Apparently Obamas own study agrees with the Harvard Study

Obama

“Overall crime rates have declined in the past decade, and violent crimes, including homicides specifically, have declined in the past 5 years.” However, “Between 2005 and 2010, the percentage of firearm-related violent victimizations remained generally stable.”
Additionally, the report goes on to inform about other declines. “Firearm-related death rates for youth ages 15 to 19 declined from 1994 to 2009,” the report continues, adding that accidental shootings were declining as well.

Obama’s Executive Ordered Study Report On Gun Violence Slaps Him In The Face
Read more at Obama

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 12-17-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:

Such as New Orleans?

Or Saint Louis?

Europe, Canada, and Australia do not have centuries of gun ownership. They are not comparable to the US. Same with Japan (which has very low crime of all types).

Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and El Paso have lower violent crime rates than Los Angeles or San Francisco. What does that say? New Hampshire has very low crime. Yet has very loose gun control laws.

I think it says gun laws, either at the state or city level, have little to do with violent crime.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Europe, Canada, and Australia do not have centuries of gun ownership. They are not comparable to the US. Same with Japan (which has very low crime of all types).

Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and El Paso have lower violent crime rates than Los Angeles or San Francisco. What does that say? New Hampshire has very low crime. Yet has very loose gun control laws.

I think it says gun laws, either at the state or city level, have little to do with violent crime.
Laws are laws. They only stop those willing to abide by them. Go ask 'lil loco' down the street with a felony, if that stops him from having a gun. It's illegal to go over 65mph (depending on where you live) on the highway, everyone here probably does that on a daily basis. And yes it is comparable, that kills people too... Or does it

I always laugh when people try to compare the US to other countries, when it comes to gun laws... It's a totally different culture. I'm sure kids aren't running around beating up other kids in Japan... Americans have problems.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are citing a quote from the gun news, if you want to quote the CDC at least provide the complete conclusion and the link rather than a biased quote that is taken out of context.
I've provided documentation.... They reference other studies... If you wish to disagree.... YOU provide documents from those sources to the contrary rather than just blathering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If the last vote on gun control in the legislature is any indication you are mistaken.
They know when to bide their time and when to strike. We are discussing what they want to do... Not what they have been able to do:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=McRjXKZA7oo

A
Alex jones is a kook, but even a stopped clock...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a0LwGnaKZy8

How about directly from Dian Fienstein's lips:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q-P_CAMBY

Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
For the record not that the far right will remotely comprehend this, The left is not after the removal of guns from people but rather limitations from those that are evidently not to be trusted with them, like felons, serious mental health issues. and so forth. I am pretty far left and guess what I have a gun and a ccw, but I'm not so stupid to think a gun makes me safe, in fact, quite the contrary. With 50 deaths a day happening and only 100 or so people protecting them selves with a gun, the numbers don't bode well for gun ownership.

Look at ow many refuse to properly store their gun and they have it stolen or used by a child. I am all for the safe use of a weapon, and its safe storage. A wall safe can be quickly accessed to retrieve a loaded weapon. A safe owner NEVER shoots at shadows or unidentified people and is always aware of what is beyond their target. If you don't follow these safety procedures you will likely be a statistic the rest of us read about. I think the irresponsible should not be issued a license for a gun.

The right sees only black and white when the world is full of gray, btw those of us that are prochoice don't advocate abortions but rather choice and the government out of the business of deciding what is right for a woman and her body. We would love to see unwanted pregnancies eliminated along with the need for abortions. Ever notice how the right never wants to attack the problem but rather impose laws to restrict people?

Call me a "moonbat" if you want but don't assume I can't shoot straight, and I use zombie killers.

Your leadership disagrees with you. See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies