Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:23 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What racist comments for Kelly? The original Santa Claus was WHITE. The person in your familiy that PLAYS Santa Claus can be any color you want.
She wasnt talking about the Saint Nicholas. She was talking about the fat jolly guy in a red suit who says ho ho ho and drives a flying sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. The Saint Nicholas that the rightwing is using and an excuse for Kelly's racism wasn't a fat jolly guy in a red suit who drove a flying sleigh pulled by flying reindeer

Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think he was saying that he was with the blacks, picking cotton. He was just as poor and discriminated against as a swamp person. What you see him saying is just his ignorance of what blacks were going through that he himself didn't see. I'm glad you understand that it wasn't meant to be mean-spirited, just ignorant of what your family was encountering in their daily lives.
He DID see it though. To live in Louisiana pre Civil Rights and say that you didn't notice Jim Crow discrimination is a flat out lie. He saw it and was incredibly aware of it. It was something that no one with two brain cells could miss. Hell, you can see the vestiges of Jim Crow til this day.

Again, I don't think he was being malicious, but he is knowingly lying.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
What Bashir said was so vile and disgusting that it made sense to take him off the air. We can disagree about ideas, but we don't need pundits on either side talking about pooping into someone's mouth. Why is it that this kind of verbiage is only found on the left?

I don't know what Baldwin said, but it was dumb to give him a show in the first place, given his history. The Dixie Chicks never had a TV show as far as I know. There were people who called for boycotts, but I doubt that any ever called for having them banned from performing. The right respects the First Amendment. None of the comparisons really hold up. I'm a little disappointed in Williams. I'm a fan of his, and of all people, he should understand why the PC pressure is deleterious.

Remember when Limbaugh made his comments about Sandra Fluke, there was massive outrage, and Fluke got a comfort call from the freakin POTUS. Charges of hypocrisy are invariably a double edged sword.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Juan Williams is no stranger to bashing the right. Its what he does for a living in both print and broadcast media. FOX is irrelevant here.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Is that suppposed to make any sense? Wait, let me guess, because he knows what Williams said then he must be watching Faux Noise and therefore driving up their ratings? Well what the **** do you suggest we do? Never say anything about the idiocy at Fox? Never call them on their lies and hypocrisy. Are we supposed to afraid of Fox and their high ratings? We're not. We do wonder however how the hell the other networks, (you know, the ones who got Obama elected?) can be so ****ing powerful when supposedly hardly anybody watches them
This.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Williams is desperate.

And you're wrong.
Also, the Duck Dynasty crew are not journalists, anchors, or reporters of any kind. That's a critical difference that is lost on the pro-Bashir crowd, and I don't think there was any references to defecating in someone's mouth in this case, either. Calling for such an act, even rhetorically, is beyond the pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
After Kelly's racist comments about Santa and Jesus, she should have been fired. Was she? Of course not, she got a pat on the back and nothing happened.
Saying Santa Claus and Jesus were white is no more racist than saying Buddha was an Indian; it's what they happen to be. Santa Claus is a figure created by white people and is almost always depicted as white; you can depict Santa Claus as any color you want and there's nothing wrong with that, but Santa Claus as a figure is a jolly generous fat white man. I don't see how the idea of receiving presents from someone who is a different color than you are could be such a problem, and at any rate I don't see what the big deal is. We don't know for sure what race Jesus was, but it's very likely he was of a Near East extraction, which would make him white by most definitions.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:14 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
What Bashir said was so vile and disgusting that it made sense to take him off the air. We can disagree about ideas, but we don't need pundits on either side talking about pooping into someone's mouth. Why is it that this kind of verbiage is only found on the left?
Bashir was commenting on Palin's insane comments comparing the national debt to slavery. Palin should have been fired from fox, but that didn't happen.

All the right does is speak the most vile and disgusting crap on earth, but the right embrace their hate and ignorance.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
A&E has announced that he's being reinstated in Jan.
Really?

That's some funny stuff.

Now I'm positive the whole thing was done for ratings.

Good Goin', Phil!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We need to clear something up here. Nobody's rights were under assault. I definitely don't agree with A&E's decision, but it is within their rights to do what they did. Robertson did not have his 1st Amendment violated, and A&E is exercising their 1st Amendment rights. A&E is not a government contractor, nor owned or operated by the government. The situation between Robertson and A&E was between two private parties. The 1st Amendment does not protect free speech between private parties, much like C-D has the freedom to censor our opinions. This is a private forum, 1st Amendment does not apply here. The same thing happened with Robertson. So, no, you can put the scary big government claims away, because this is not a case of the FCC censoring Robertson, it is his private employer.
Well said, it is a shame that his supports, ie homophobes, just don't understand that. It also doesn't help that the family is also saying it's a 1st Amendment issues which shows just how intelligent they actually are.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Looks like Cracker Barrel came to its senses, too. From their FB:

Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies