Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, but you are assuming that current rules would continue. If we imposed a one term limit we could also change how chairs are assigned.
When you abolish the seniority system of course it will change how committee chairs are assigned, and in absolutely every case the small populous States will get screwed by the large populous States.

Alaskans, including many Democrats, have continually voted for our one and only Republican Representative Don Young 21 times in order to ensure he has the seniority to chair committees. That allows Alaska to have more input on how legislation is constructed, rather than just being a single vote in the House with no input.

I certainly do not want California, New York, Illinois, Texas, or Florida telling Alaska how to manage our natural resources, or dictating terms through legislation that suits them but harms us. As long as their is a seniority system, that will not happen. Once you abolish the seniority system with term limits, anarchy will ensue. Term limits in the house could lead to another civil war between the States, when the most populous top 10% of the States start dictating to the other 90%.

Term limits in the house has to be one of the most stupid ideas ever conceived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Absolutely, yes, Americans prefer security to freedom. Look no further than entitlements. SS and Medicare take 14.9% of every dollar of the first $114k anyone earns and puts this towards the two crappiest investment reutrn rpograms in existence. Challenge either one, and a wide majority of the population, young and old, throws a hissy fit about protecting old people. That 14.9% is taken by laws that were passed before anyone younger than 69 was allowed to have any say in. Medicare went into law prior to the 26th Amendment, so if you weren't 21 or older in 1965, then you have your economic freedom traded for an illusion of economic security, and you had no say in it whatsoever, not even some token vote for a lying weasel who promised to stop it or do something about.

ObamaCare is taking over health care and forcing us all to join in. So we lose freedom to allegedly gain security of healthcare services.

Etc etc etc.

We lose economic freedom damn near daily, and every time it's sold as "for our own good" and for security.

That's the most annoying thing thing about liberals. They think freedom means not being hassled by cops, but think being robbed at W-4 withholding gunpoint is just part of a legit process. Take my money wearing a ski mask and armed with a gun, and you are a thief. Take my money wearing a Harvard tie and armed with legislation, and you're a beloved public servant. Me being robbed doesn't change, but it's amazing how a change of clothes and rhetoric can change the nature of the thief robbing me.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
CNN’s Jake Tapper just comes out and says it:

I think the American people, honestly, want security over freedom.
- Jake Tapper

Compare that to Benjamin Franklin:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

I agree with Franklin. I chose freedom. How about you?
jake tapper no more "knows what americans prefer" than any random idiot on the street.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
CNN’s Jake Tapper just comes out and says it:

I think the American people, honestly, want security over freedom.
- Jake Tapper

Compare that to Benjamin Franklin:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

I agree with Franklin. I chose freedom. How about you?
Freedom here !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies