Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could an long term unemployed business executive get a minimum wage job if they tried?
Yes, they just need bodies, they don't care you used to make good money 21 30.00%
Unlikely because these jobs are set aside for others 13 18.57%
No chance in the world they would be hired 29 41.43%
Don't know 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Director XXX at local company Y likely has a mortgage to pay and kids' college tuition to pay. Show me how that is possible on a McDonald's wage.
It's not but if that's what is available that's what you take. I lived in Alaska during the oil boom and the big bust that came right after. One of my best buddies was making that $80K as a carpenter, and found himself bagging groceries for minimum wage, and it didn't pay his old lifestyle but it was work. His story was not unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Of course there are good managers and bad managers. A good manager is not going to hate you more, the harder you work. Most people stay in a job like that, and don't take the initiative to move on. I have done it myself; I wasted several years working a place where I worked my butt off and was not appreciated. When I finally quit, the mgr offered me a raise to stay, but I declined. After I left some of my ex-co-workers told me that the company had all kinds of problems getting a replacement to do what I did. You have to take initiative and find a place that is well managed--they are out there.
Yeah. Sure. Like I said, it took two years before anyone called me. I applied to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Costco, Target, Kohls, you name it. Fill out the online form and wait. Forever.

This thing you speak of where I would seem to have some choice? It is to laugh.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I've met quite a few older people at Home Depot and I never got the feeling that they were stupid or uneducated.
They want people who will do what they are told to do when they are told to do it....Not some x manager types who try to tell everyone else how to do the job

Old 12-27-2013, 05:19 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I can't speak about older, educated, professional workers getting min wage jobs as I don't know anyone in that position. However, several people who worked for my husband were laid off. All of those former employees found jobs within 8 months. I was told most even found jobs paying more money than at the previous company. They were all good at what they did!

Finding another job isn't impossible for the over 45 crowd if one has skills that are still in demand.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:55 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Sure they can. We have been on continuous recruitment for decades.

Our school bus operation starts drivers at $18.16 an hour with full benefits and a pension (vested after 5 years)...drivers top out at $30 an hour. Plenty of room for advancement too...our Director, who used to drive a bus, makes $125K per year.

High school dropout on up to a PHD, makes no difference. Unemployed applicants are welcome, as well.

However, you MUST:

Have a clean driving record
Pass a background check
Pass a drug test
Pass a physical
Complete 6 weeks of paid training

(Only about 10% of applicants meet all of these requirements)

Interestingly, a lot of our successful applicants are 50-something former IT gurus that aged out of the IT biz.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Only a idiot would hire someone who had made 80K+ before.
Nonsense.

Quote:
1. they have high salary expectations
2. when they get a opportunity that matches their past income they will be GONE.
Show me ANYONE who, if offered or finding a much better job won't "move on".

Quote:
And be honest....you're going to hire the best candidates, and very very rarely will these people be it.
You know, the idea that you don't want a competent, smart, reliable person who knows what work is, how to work, and has some integrity... man, any manager with half a brain will jump on that. If it were me... YES, I'd hire someone. And then do my utmost to find them a way up if they're worth what they used to get.

Quote:
Yeah maybe some of the truly old folk who desperately need the job, and whose job opportunities are GONE....those might be worthwhile.
Im amazed that everyone thinks "oh go get a $10/hr job" for a high paid professional is easy. your competition for that job will take it and stay there. You? You'll take it out of desperation, but then look for a better paying job.
Who does NOT keep trying to find "better"?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Sure they can. We have been on continuous recruitment for decades.

Our school bus operation starts drivers at $18.16 an hour with full benefits and a pension (vested after 5 years)...drivers top out at $30 an hour. Plenty of room for advancement too...our Director, who used to drive a bus, makes $125K per year.

High school dropout on up to a PHD, makes no difference. Unemployed applicants are welcome, as well.

However, you MUST:

Have a clean driving record
Pass a background check
Pass a drug test
Pass a physical
Complete 6 weeks of paid training

(Only about 10% of applicants meet all of these requirements)

Interestingly, a lot of our successful applicants are 50-something former IT gurus that aged out of the IT biz.
Is that sustainable? Will taxpayers continue to to pay school bus drivers over 62,000 dollars per year ("top drivers") ? How much do teachers make in your school district? If bus driver are making 62k teachers HAVE to be in the six figures.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I know several formerly high level professionals who tried for YEARS to find work anywhere and no one would hire them. I agree about self-employment.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Is that sustainable? Will taxpayers continue to to pay school bus drivers over 62,000 dollars per year ("top drivers") ? How much do teachers make in your school district? If bus driver are making 62k teachers HAVE to be in the six figures.

I'll leave it to the taxpayers to determine if it's sustainable.

I don't believe a non-supervisory driver could earn 62 grand. If they do, it would be very rare....they would have to have many, many years on the job. They would also have to really hustle for extra work (field trips, help out at the garages, etc). You have to remember too that drivers are not paid during the summer, so they only work about 10 months a year. I would guess that the vast majority of drivers make in the high $20s to the low $40s per year. One of the great aspects of the job is you can work as much or as little as you want. We have people that drive one day a week.

I believe that a teacher could break $100K, but it would take many years experience and advanced degrees. I believe teachers start in the high $40s.

In case you were wondering, there are no unions involved in our operation.

BTW, I was simply answering the OP's question, not trying to incite a public employee bashfest.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet illegals fresh over the border of any age are having no trouble at all finding jobs.

Use your critical thinking skills to parse out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies