Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Come on, would you at least make accurate and truthful posts?

G.W. Bush did not desert.

He served in the Air National Guard and received a discharge with the rank of 1st Lt.

He did take some leave but actually put in slightly more hours than was necessary. The "desertion" myth was debunked years ago. How did you miss it?

As for John Wayne, I actually don't know much about his history. I do know that William the Impeached was a certified draft dodger and John Wayne was not.
W was honorably discharged early because he had been working on Winton Blount's (R-Alabama) senate campaign. Senators could get things done like that. The fact is, W disappeared on an unscheduled leave for more than a year and nobody knew where he was. That used to be known as desertion, and would have been in this case if W hadn't been politically connected.

Here is the history lesson on John Wayne. Draw your own conclusions. Wayne was 34 and in good health. Henry Fonda enlisted at 37. Wayne was a shirker and a dodger, just like Billy.

The Straight Dope: Was John Wayne a draft dodger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
W was honorably discharged early because he had been working on Winton Blount's (R-Alabama) senate campaign. Senators could get things done like that. The fact is, W disappeared on an unscheduled leave for more than a year and nobody knew where he was. That used to be known as desertion, and would have been in this case if W hadn't been politically connected.

Here is the history lesson on John Wayne. Draw your own conclusions. Wayne was 34 and in good health. Henry Fonda enlisted at 37. Wayne was a shirker and a dodger, just like Billy.

The Straight Dope: Was John Wayne a draft dodger?
You admit that G.W. Bush was honorably discharged; therefore, he did not "desert." He was not gone for "more than a year and nobody knew where he was." Another myth.

According to that link, John Wayne did not dodge the draft. Unlike Billy, he was never ordered to report to the draft office and failed to do so.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
School is becoming hostile to boys, not letting "boys be boys". Schools are policing and punishing the distinctive, assertive sociability of boys. Many much-loved games have vanished from school playgrounds. At some schools, tug of war has been replaced with “tug of peace.” Since the 1990s, elimination games like dodgeball, and red rover have been under a cloud — too damaging to self-esteem and too violent. Young boys, with few exceptions, love action narratives. These usually involve heroes, bad guys, rescues and shoot-ups. As boys’ play proceeds, plots become more elaborate and the boys more transfixed.

Play is a critical basis for learning. And boys’ heroic play is no exception. Logue and Harvey found that “bad guy” play improved children’s conversation and imaginative writing. Such play, say the authors, also builds moral imagination, social competence and imparts critical lessons about personal limits and self-restraint. Logue and Harvey worry that the growing intolerance for boys’ action-narrative-play choices may be undermining their early language development and weakening their attachment to school.

Imagine the harm done to boys who are not merely discouraged from their choice of play, but are punished, publicly shamed and ostracized.

Now, boys are medicated, too. Why?
20% now diagnosed as suffering from hyperactive and medicated accordingly.
Damn right! Let them have their choice of play! Remember the little boy who wanted an Easy-Bake Oven? Peoples' heads exploded. He was shamed, ridiculed and ostracized.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I look all around me, in my college town, and on TV, and see pretty boys who think that they have to dress like a fashion model, shave their chest and sport a six pack to get female attention. The mass media as a whole shoves this culture down the throat of the American male. Men were Connery, Stallone, the Duke, Willis not that long ago. Now Efron, Patterson, Beckham and DiCaprio are supposed to be masculine examples? Hell NO. Every time I see men in TV ads, I want to throw up. If you want a microcosm of how men have become less than men, TV ads denigrating men and glorifying women are the perfect example. Daddy or Hubby is always so clueless and dumb needing the woman to tell him what to do.

The indoctrination to woosie boy begins young. Primary education does everything in its power to turn boys into neuters. Boys are given Ritalin so that their natural aggressiveness, curiosity and restlessness can be controlled, instead of nurtured and directed. In college, female values such as sensitivity, socialization, and cooperation, are fostered and put up on a pedestal instead of teaching hard facts and critical thinking.

Do young women really want these woosie men? Why are men falling for this garbage?
Yeah, but why do you need to put down Hello Kitty?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
You know who was a real fashionista? George Washington, that's who.

The True George Washington: Tastes and Amusements | Infoplease.com

The perfumed and powdered hair, the lace shirts, the silk hose... not to mention the close attention he paid to the daintiest details of interior design at Mount Vernon.

What a pansy. If he were a real 18th-century man, he would have worn a tricorn hat, a tattered wool jacket, and a beard.

From your article above the horsemanship part of him is interesting. Not sure many men today could ride a horse 60 miles in a day. Without complaining that is.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
of a truth, if they think you might be gay or at least are not sure, your chances of survival in the new pink jobs are better. it has taken me several years to regain my posture after groveling my entire career.
i gained 2 inches in the last year.
you think i make this stuff up dontcha.
when i see other men doing this stuff to survive i get angry.
of a truth my hardest task when i took a kendo class was yelling. yelling or raising your voice in a pink job is the kiss of death.
it took me 10 month to relearn to raise my voice.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
of a truth, if they think you might be gay or at least are not sure, your chances of survival in the new pink jobs are better. it has taken me several years to regain my posture after groveling my entire career.
i gained 2 inches in the last year.
you think i make this stuff up dontcha.
when i see other men doing this stuff to survive i get angry.
of a truth my hardest task when i took a kendo class was yelling. yelling or raising your voice in a pink job is the kiss of death.
it took me 10 month to relearn to raise my voice.
Speak softly and swing a big stick.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
body hair is gross. I have shaved all of mine since at least my early teens. Hate hate hate hair. On top of being ugly it smells bad. More men need to shave their body hair the world will smell much better.

If your hair stinks you need to bathe bit more often, once a month isn't going to cut it.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
I don't even know what a "Hello Kitty" is in this context .... What is a "real" man ? Any male that doesn't adhere to this description is what, Gay?

If a lot of the males I grew up around were "real" men, I will take a pass and continue to be the person I am now.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You admit that G.W. Bush was honorably discharged; therefore, he did not "desert." He was not gone for "more than a year and nobody knew where he was." Another myth.

According to that link, John Wayne did not dodge the draft. Unlike Billy, he was never ordered to report to the draft office and failed to do so.
I told you where the discharge came from. It was in actuality a pardon for being AWOL for a year, negotiated by a senator. If he had not had political pull, he would have gone to prison.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Richard Nixon was not a crook, either.

You still haven't told us why he didn't enlist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies