Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Here we go, clearly the war was worth it? ....

Al-Qaeda force captures Fallujah amid rise in violence in Iraq - The Washington Post

Ooops, this needs to be moved to the existing thread on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
The USA should never have gone into Iraq to begin with.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Was the war worth it ?
It depends on what the mission was.

I think the mission was always to keep the petrodollar alive.
Any ME dictator that spoke of switching is now dead after a US invasion to "bring democracy" to the country.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Here we go, clearly the war was worth it? ....

Al-Qaeda force captures Fallujah amid rise in violence in Iraq - The Washington Post

Ooops, this needs to be moved to the existing thread on same topic.

Bob, Obama has Al-Qaeda on the run.
What are you so concerned about?

It's all under control.

"Obama is my Shepard, I shall not want....."

Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
All the conservatives who screamed themselves hoarse in favor of invading Iraq have disappeared faster than George W. Bush in January of 2009.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Was the war worth it ?
It depends on what the mission was.

I think the mission was always to keep the petrodollar alive.
Any ME dictator that spoke of switching is now dead after a US invasion to "bring democracy" to the country.
Well, if the mission was to keep the petrodollar alive, why didn't Bush/Cheney just say so?

If that's what the mission was, are you saying that the war, with its 4500 dead U.S. troops was worth it?

Not being presumptuous, just asking if that's what you're saying.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All the conservatives who screamed themselves hoarse in favor of invading Iraq have disappeared faster than George W. Bush in January of 2009.
Many, strangely enough, have still held on to the notion that the war was justified and that we were successful in Iraq.

Of course, we were NOT successful in Iraq at all and it was a cluster**** right from the start. Never have we had a war where U.S. Generals performed so poorly and where they allowed themselves to be swept up by the whims of civilian leadership in the White House, State Dept, Pentagon, and the Intel Agencies. It's embarrassing.

Actually i should clarify that the Marine leadership was pretty sharp all the way around, but it's pretty clear that the Army (my service) leadership was basically a joke with the exception of a few generals.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
By invading Iraq and allowing "democracy," we have helped align Iraq with Iran. (Shiites) are the majority and the more extreme Muslim sect. We have also unstabilized a country so that terrorist groups, such as Al Qaeda, can easily infiltrate.

Way to go Bush/Cheney! What a horrible waste of American lives and money!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Many, strangely enough, have still held on to the notion that the war was justified and that we were successful in Iraq.

Of course, we were NOT successful in Iraq at all and it was a cluster**** right from the start. Never have we had a war where U.S. Generals performed so poorly and where they allowed themselves to be swept up by the whims of civilian leadership in the White House, State Dept, Pentagon, and the Intel Agencies. It's embarrassing.

Actually i should clarify that the Marine leadership was pretty sharp all the way around, but it's pretty clear that the Army (my service) leadership was basically a joke with the exception of a few generals.
In fairness, they they were put into very difficult circumstances that were effectively made worse every day by the idiocy of the neoconservative cabal of Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, et al. The military was dealt a losing hand and told to play poker by a group of preening, tough talking chickenhawks.

If you want to see true failure in action, you need to read the book "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks. This is a respected author and Washington Post writer who has covered and wrote about the military for decades, and the neocons had a chance to get it right when Saddam's army waited on standby for a chance to be involved in the rebuilding and reconstruction, only to be fired en masse. That was the beginning of the end. What followed was the beginning of the most massive failure of civilian leadership in perhaps the entire 20th Century.

The same 24% of Americans who supported Bush/Cheney till the bitter end are the same group of Iraq war cheerleaders, and many post on this forum.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
In fairness, they they were put into very difficult circumstances that were effectively made worse every day by the idiocy of the neoconservative cabal of Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, et al.

If you want to see true failure in action, you need to read the book "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks. This is a respected author and Washington Post writer who has covered and wrote about the military for decades, and the neocons had a chance to get it right when Saddam's army waited on standby for a chance to be involved in the rebuilding and reconstruction, only to be fired en masse. That was the beginning of the end. What followed was the beginning of the most massive failure of civilian leadership in perhaps the entire 20th Century.

The same 24% of Americans who supported Bush/Cheney till the bitter end are the same group of Iraq war cheerleaders, and many post on this forum.
LOL...if you can't tell, i DID read Fiasco. They ought to make it mandatory reading for every military member signing an enlistment contract and every officer taking an oath.

I'm still embarrassed that so many generals revealed themselves to be clowns...and nearly all of them from my beloved branch of service. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies