Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times

Advertisements

A fascinating interview on Charlie Rose

Rove argues that members of Congress - Democrats especially - politicized the debate over the Iraq war in 2002, forcing early votes which hurt Bush's ability to take his time and build a stronger international coalition.

He claims that the Democrats wanted to force an Iraq vote before the November 2002 elections, in case their slim majority in Congress was eliminated. As a result, Bush's ability to focus on the weapons inspections and international cooperation was distorted.

Is this a slab of breathtaking revisionism and hubris, or does Rove have a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
There is NO truth to this. The Democrats would never do anything irresponsible for political gain! Only a Republican would do that!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Rove argues that members of Congress - Democrats especially - politicized the debate over the Iraq war in 2002, forcing early votes which hurt Bush's ability to take his time and build a stronger international coalition.

He claims that the Democrats wanted to force an Iraq vote before the November 2002 elections, in case their slim majority in Congress was eliminated. As a result, Bush's ability to focus on the weapons inspections and international cooperation was distorted.

Is this a slab of breathtaking revisionism and hubris, or does Rove have a point?
Right, let's blame someone else for Bush's inability to focus and do the job he asked for and was given. Anyone, of either party, that easily pressured into going to war doesn't belong in the White House, period.

And just where was the sanctimonious little doughboy Rove with his wisdom when this travesty was allegedly happening?

Now, I must excuse myself, I need to go find the Dramimine, the spin is getting me dizzy .

Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
We have a lot of people that don't belong in Washington right now, about 90-95% of our government needs to be kicked to the curb.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Right, let's blame someone else for Bush's inability to focus and do the job he asked for and was given. Anyone, of either party, that easily pressured into going to war doesn't belong in the White House, period.

Now, I must excuse myself, I need to go find the Dramimine, the spin is getting me dizzy .
Would someone that easily pressured belong in Congress?
Should such an easily pressured person run for President?

As to the OP,I doubt he was pushed,but I do think Congress is as much to blame as Bush.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM

397 posts, read 264,574 times
Karl Rove needs to be one of the first to go when this adminstration is finally put on trials for war crimes

Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Would someone that easily pressured belong in Congress?
Should such an easily pressured person run for President?

As to the OP,I doubt he was pushed,but I do think Congress is as much to blame as Bush.

Congress is 535 people, the POTUS is allegedly the COMMANDER in CHIEF, I know where I'd put the blame.

The people so willing to pat Bush on the back for vetoing things Congress sends to him shouldn't be whining now about something he was supposedly forced into.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:

it's hubris & revisionism. The Iraq war was pre planned prior to 9/11 and for the naysayers just read PNAC.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

397 posts, read 264,574 times
Quote:
, or does Rove have a point?
one must look at the source, Rove is a dispicable human, he has admitted to lying and cheating in the past, Rove was most likely the ringleader for whatever went down in Florida in 2000 as well as the false terror alerts from 2001-2004

Rove is a dispicable human, and right next to Cheney should be the 2nd to go if we finally get some justice out of this disgraceful adminstration

Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
This spin from Rove is mitigated by the documented thrust by neoconservatives in the GOP for war against Iraq, even before Bush was elected. Mobilizing a consensus for war across the Federal bureaucracies (State, DoD) prior to debate in Congress has also been documented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies