Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,812,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And again I have to ask, so what? I realize that the anti-vaccine movement's entire premise is based on opinion and zero science or facts, perhaps that's why you are preoccupied with this particular article? For the rest of us this article and those like it are merely anecdotal.
Propaganda in the mass media is interesting to me.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 PM

278 posts, read 274,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and you would be wrong
We all have our opinions. We are doing what we see as the correct thing based off of research and evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhereinthemiddle View Post
We stopped vaccinating years ago. Eventually people will figure it out.
Hopefully before it harms them in a bad way.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Prove that those who choose to forgo the flu vaccine cost more to the system. I have never been hospitalized, I rarely go to the doctor and when I do, I pay for it out of pocket. I haven't had the flu in decades and even when I did, I did not go to the doctor. I have been exposed to the flu and the people who exposed me had all been vaccinated. The flu vaccine's effectiveness is overstated. Much has been shown to actually be due to the "healthy user effect". Don't knock yourself out while patting yourself too hard on the back for getting your vaccine.
Considering the fact that the vast majority of people who die of it are not vaccinated I think that's apparent.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have had the flu once in my life, as a small child. I've had the flu shot once in my life, as a young adult. I'm not seeing the flu as a huge threat.
Maybe not for you, but it can be deadly for young children, elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Maybe not for you, but it can be deadly for young children, elderly and people with compromised immune systems.
Correct! And this year's H1N1 is hitting young adults especially hard. Samples from around the country:
Doctors concerned about number of young people affected by flu - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi
H1N1 flu strain affecting young people is back | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota
CDC warns H1N1 virus is causing severe flu in young adults - FierceVaccines

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,326,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Considering the fact that the vast majority of people who die of it are not vaccinated I think that's apparent.
That's interesting...anything to corroborate that?

Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM

13,310 posts, read 7,895,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Time for the elderly to begin home schooling.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM

37,219 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's interesting...anything to corroborate that?
Apparently you have not read the entire thread:

State health officials: Flu-related deaths in N.C. now 21 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

NC flu deaths:

"Twelve of the victims were ages 25 to 49, seven were ages 50 to 64 and two were from age 65 and older. She said two of the victims had received a flu shot."

Of 21 deaths, 19 had not been vaccinated.

Last year, 90% of the children who died had not been vaccinated:

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)

Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
As I said I don't think you should have to get vaccinated, but it is only fair to the rest of us that you pay more for insurance since you are going to be more of a risk. Why should my premiums go up because you don't believe in science and need more health care because of it?

Additionally I think it is also only fair that since there are cases of anti-vax people acting as typhoid Mary that that the courts should consider such behavior as reckless disregard for the safety of others.

We Thought We Already Eradicated Measles -- But Thanks To Ongoing Anti-Vaccine Beliefs, It's Back | ThinkProgress
You do realize don't you that vaccination doesn't always work?
Why should my premiums go up because you're one of those people who insist on a phony (doesn't work) flu shot every year?..and then still get sick anyways?
It's the measles shots that are keeping it alive....and outbreaks among the vaccinated are veeery common.
I've never understood why if you believe in vaccines so much, you'd ever even give a second thought to someones who's not?
The 2013 Measles Outbreak: A Failing Vaccine, Not A Failure To

http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/201...xcuses-abound/

Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Apparently you have not read the entire thread:

State health officials: Flu-related deaths in N.C. now 21 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

NC flu deaths:

"Twelve of the victims were ages 25 to 49, seven were ages 50 to 64 and two were from age 65 and older. She said two of the victims had received a flu shot."

Of 21 deaths, 19 had not been vaccinated.

Last year, 90% of the children who died had not been vaccinated:

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)
The articles conveniately leave out pertinent information (typical CDC), such as what kind of health these people were in beforehand....as I understand it MOST had other health conditions.
If they had been vaccinated (and two were) with this years flu vaccine of choice...whose to say one of the other 80 some odd strains wouldn't have got them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies