Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's why I asked for clarification from the OP as to whom he was speaking of, duh. I read it and it isn't clear whether he was referring to legal immigrants or illegal aliens.

You may want to read the first post #1 which is mine and it says:

So many People complain about companies leaving the U.S.
and working poor people in 3rd world countries
for what they call slave wages.

It's talking about companies going overseas to foreign countries,
not about working legal or illegal people here in the U.S.A.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
So many People complain about companies leaving the U.S.
and working poor people in 3rd world countries for what they call slave wages.

Well those wages are far greater to those labors who do the work
because before this happened they had no work, and now they are prospering
with jobs they can live on and feed their families.

One woman was being interviewed who said she lived on a small farm
with here family, and had very little food to live on.

Now she has a job making very small wages under a dollar.
But now she has enough money to feed 8 family members back home.

These are not slave wages for them, which most Americans can't even eat on.

In other news, the sun appeared in the eastern horizon this AM....................................

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How/why did wages increase to the point corporations couldn't afford to operate domestically?

Was anyone else dumbstruck when salaries skyrocketed to the point of ''I can't believe they pay me this much for a job I have done for years..." I can't get over the COLA I get from one of my pension checks.

I am not complaining but remember when a brand new car of quality was under $10K and wonder how we got to this point.

As the government invents more and more ways things to spend money on, worker salaries have to go up to cover their TAX BURDEN in addition to their living expenses. Businessses don't pay taxes. PEOPLE pay taxes. All increased costs of production are directly transferred to the consumer. That is why cars are no longer $10K.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Quote:
How/why did wages increase to the point corporations couldn't afford to operate domestically?

Was anyone else dumbstruck when salaries skyrocketed to the point of ''I can't believe they pay me this much for a job I have done for years..." I can't get over the COLA I get from one of my pension checks.

I am not complaining but remember when a brand new car of quality was under $10K and wonder how we got to this point.
So many people who are not satisified and want more and more.

I saw a woman on TV some years ago saying that she made $35.00 hour + full benifits
as a janitor sweeping floors, and looking for a raise.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
As time goes on their wages ( China and others )
will increase just like it did in the U.S. and then Companies
and Corporations and the Rich will go somewhere else
where people will work for less money.
Been seeing this in China as of late. The Chinese are freaking out about it, but when they discuss it around me, they admit its what they did to us so they understand why I laugh at them.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Would you like us all to earn what slave laborers in third world countries earn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yay! we can all work for slave labor rates, THATS SO AWESOME.
People in other States earning less than $3.00/hour can buy homes. They have cars, too.

The question isn't how can people in other States afford to buy a home on $1.35/hour, the question is why can't you do the same?

Too bad neither of you can wrap your brains around Reality™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Cost of living is much lower there so of course lower wages are fine for them. What does that have to do with anything?
Wow....someone here actually knows how to think critically and apply Critical Thinking Skills.

Maybe you could teach the other two.

Quote:
As time goes on their wages ( China and others )
will increase just like it did in the U.S. and then Companies
and Corperations and the Rich will go somewhere else
where people will work for less money.
Yes, I know.

That's how Economics works.

After China, they will go to Southwest Asia; then to Central Asia; and finally to sub-Saharan Africa.

Near the end of this century, the economical and cultural center of Earth will be right around India, and then ultimately in the [center of the] Indian Ocean.

Quote:
That's quite a long story actually.

You can dumb it down to your foreign policy.

Economically and historically...

Mircea

Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
As the government invents more and more ways things to spend money on, worker salaries have to go up to cover their TAX BURDEN in addition to their living expenses. Businessses don't pay taxes. PEOPLE pay taxes. All increased costs of production are directly transferred to the consumer. That is why cars are no longer $10K.
Its called inflation, and most folks who have taken a economics class actually understand that small amounts of it are a good thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
So now we have Cons advocating that the US be more like 3rd World countries...I wonder how many people that advocate for this would be happy making 3rd World country pay?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,395 times
That seems to be the crux it. How could people who developed these policies - from either side of it[those who wanted to help the poor in underdeveloped countries, & those who wanted to increase their bottom lines with cheap labor] NOT see that a global economy might raise the poor but not without lowering those doing OK? It's just math 5+1 / 2 = 3. Somebody comes up, somebody goes down. Those going down are lulled by falling prices on consumer goods, till they loose their jobs. Businesses like it till they start loosing their markets. A little bit of protectionism seems to be a good thing, but that container has left the dock.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yay! we can all work for slave labor rates, THATS SO AWESOME.

Really?
Why should just the rich Americans benefit from high wages? Are we more special than a rice farmer in SE Asia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies