Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should drug use be legal?
Drug use and sale should be decriminalized 39 69.64%
Drug use and sale should be kept as is 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Wrong, the crux of the matter is that no government has been given the power to tell you what you may and may not put in your own body.
In order for them to do so, the government would need to establish ownership of your body such in a fudal or a totalitairian regime.
America by law, is a county of free persons with ownership of their own bodies.
In order to constitute a crime, it must be proven that someone has somehow done damage to someone else.
In the case of drug use or posession, no such damage exists.

Reps to you as well Jim. No harm, no foul. It's silly to label someone a criminal, and potentially prosecute them for smoking a doobey in the privacy of their own home, when they haven't caused harm to anyone else. Now on the other hand, get stoned, then drive, and cause an accident where people could be hurt or even killed... well now we have a criminal act, don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Reps to you as well Jim. No harm, no foul. It's silly to label someone a criminal, and potentially prosecute them for smoking a doobey in the privacy of their own home, when they haven't caused harm to anyone else. Now on the other hand, get stoned, then drive, and cause an accident where people could be hurt or even killed... well now we have a criminal act, don't we?
Yes, but we cannot go around persecuting people on the suspicion that they may commit a crime at some point in the future or we might as well just lock up everyone.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you can twist it all you want!!! but that's not what I'm saying,, where did I say that cocaine should be sold over the counter.. I said their should be a war on corrupt doctors, their the ones giving hard core opiate pain pills to every tom dick and harry..
What are you saying?

You support legalization, and at the same time you argue doctors should regulate medicines MORE than now. You can't have it both ways? Tom, Dick and Harry use pain meds because they are legal.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yes, but we cannot go around persecuting people on the suspicion that they may commit a crime at some point in the future or we might as well just lock up everyone.

I agree. And my scenario was based on if your actions cause harm to someone else, then that could be considered criminal. So, since I indulge in cannabis in the privacy of my own home, and don't make it a habit to take a joyride right afterwards, then I say leave me the f*** alone!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
I think given total freedom, people will choose halfway decent choices. Almost every deleriant is legal, but nobody does them because they are really dangerous and give you crap experiences. Oh, but deleriants are REALLY HARD drugs, we should make them illegal!!! Wrong. People will figure out what's best if they have choices in what they can use.

And is it really a degradation of society to have people using drugs? I don't believe so. Is it a degradation of society to have addicts? Yes. Drug use and drug addiction are two different things, however painkillers blur these lines because they are so addicting.

Again that's why we need a war on addiction!

@Finn, you still haven't considered that maybe people wouldn't try painkillers as much if they had access to other drugs.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What are you saying?

You support legalization, and at the same time you argue doctors should regulate medicines MORE than now. You can't have it both ways?
Are you really so simple? Come on Finn, I've seen some good posts of yours on other topics.

How about we differentiate between Corporate Drugs and Non-Corporate Drugs instead of Legal vs Illegal. Your brain seems to be stuck on those two words. The only way a drug will be made legal in our sick society is if it can be sold for mass-profit by Corporations via a patent.

That is why Marijuana is illegal-It has nothing to do with health or safety. Corporations simply cannot patent a plant that grows wildly all over The Earth and always has. But Corporations and Governments can still do the next best thing and profit from it's illegality.

And please stop bringing hard drugs into your talking points-only a miniscule percent of the population partakes in hard illegal drugs and the bloated budget for the DEA is spent mostly on Marijuana-Not hard drugs.

It is about profit, power and control. You have just been fed propaganda for far too many years.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think given total freedom, people will choose halfway decent choices. Almost every deleriant is legal, but nobody does them because they are really dangerous and give you crap experiences. Oh, but deleriants are REALLY HARD drugs, we should make them illegal!!! Wrong. People will figure out what's best if they have choices in what they can use.

And is it really a degradation of society to have people using drugs? I don't believe so. Is it a degradation of society to have addicts? Yes. Drug use and drug addiction are two different things, however painkillers blur these lines because they are so addicting.

Again that's why we need a war on addiction!

@Finn, you still haven't considered that maybe people wouldn't try painkillers as much if they had access to other drugs.
Like cuxan kindly suggested, when people have a choice they wil choose what is legal, and currently they are choosing pain meds. If you legalize cocaine and heroine, they can choose one of those, but how is that going to improve the situation?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Should we give up on fighting disease, because disaease still exists...

Should we give up border patrol, because illegal immigration still exists?

You people are too quick to give up.

It didn't take this long to give up on free people and banning alcohol.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
What are you saying?

You support legalization, and at the same time you argue doctors should regulate medicines MORE than now. You can't have it both ways? Tom, Dick and Harry use pain meds because they are legal.

personally the only thing I really want to see totally legalized is weed.. the war on hard drugs is a total failure so I say it's time to try what Portugal did, or something else entirely..

the war on weed is the biggest failure in all the wars in American history!!! 76 years and they have not accomplish one dang thing.. this country could have new infrastructure for all the trillions wasted on the war on weed

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Are you really so simple? Come on Finn, I've seen some good posts of yours on other topics.

How about we differentiate between Corporate Drugs and Non-Corporate Drugs instead of Legal vs Illegal. Your brain seems to be stuck on those two words. The only way a drug will be made legal in our sick society is if it can be sold for mass-profit by Corporations via a patent.

That is why Marijuana is illegal-It has nothing to do with health or safety. Corporations simply cannot patent a plant that grows wildly all over The Earth and always has. But Corporations and Governments can still do the next best thing and profit from it's illegality.

And please stop bringing hard drugs into your talking points-only a miniscule percent of the population partakes in hard illegal drugs and the bloated budget for the DEA is spent mostly on Marijuana-Not hard drugs.

It is about profit, power and control. You have just been fed propaganda for far too many years.
Can you just answer the question please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies