Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times

Advertisements

"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

Albert Einstein

Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I did not miss it.
Indeed, you did. I had to explain it to you. It flew right over your head.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Indeed, you did. I had to explain it to you. It flew right over your head.
Wrong as usual. You never disappoint.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Albert Einstein >

“We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library, whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different languages. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend but only dimly suspects.”
Quote mining can leave you with egg on your face if you don't know the views of the person you are quoting out of context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...lbert_Einstein

Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

Albert Einstein
There you go again... quote mining for the purposes of misrepresenting his actual views. Don't feel lonely. Religionists have been doing it for almost a century now. Here are a few that are a bit more explicit:

Quote:
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954
Quote:
I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

- Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein's question "Do you believe in God?" quoted in: Has Science Found God?, by Victor J Stenger
Quote:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

- Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman
Quote:
I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.

- Albert Einstein to Guy H. Raner Jr., Sept. 28, 1949, quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic magazine, Vol. 5, No. 2
Quote:
It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930
Let me know if you need more.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Einstein was a plagiarist, and Edison was an unscrupulous thief.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Provide a link for your source then.
You can't necessarily link someone stating something.

Have you never read an anthology of quotes?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
But they all understood that something above them had created it all.
No. They didn't. Do you understand what quote mining is?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Einstein was a plagiarist, and Edison was an unscrupulous thief.
Perhaps, but they understood that God created the universe.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can't necessarily link someone stating something.
This would only be true if you stole the quote from a second hand source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Have you never read an anthology of quotes?
Of course. Both honest anthologies and dishonest ones... like the one you cut and pasted from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies