Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
People are so dramatic in this country. I am well off and fast 4 days a month. Additionally, I eat vegetarian bean based dinners most of the time. I spend for myself, about 100 bucks a month on food. My food costs are less than most people on govt assistance. The whiny, first world problems in this country really get old.
While we don't fast or eat a vegetarian diet, we do spend considerably less than what the average food stamp allotment is for a family of 4. Our monthly grocery bill comes in at right at around $300 a month because I use coupons and shop intelligently. Every one of our meals is balanced and nutritious, other than the every-other-week splurge when we order pizza or chinese food.

I find it amazing that people who have a designated $500+ (that's the amount you get in Florida for a family of four) to spend on groceries each month are complaining that it isn't enough to feed their family.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Yahoo!

Seriously? Cutting them again? They already cut them 2 months ago! I guess when you are a millionaire and don't have to live by the ignorant laws enacted it really doesn't matter.
EBT cards are being used for other purposes than intended. Since they have that extra money, cut the program.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM

278 posts, read 273,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obamacare and other programs are pushing our deficit sky high. Something has to be cut somewhere.

It ain't all free.
Start by shutting down overseas bases and cutting congress's pay in half at least. Why pay them to do nothing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
EBT cards are being used for other purposes than intended. Since they have that extra money, cut the program.
Stop Worrying about Food Stamp "Fraud"
Last year rose from 1% to 1.3% not exactly a huge problem there.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Yeah, Frank. Let 'em die!

Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" in action!

Let "those" people (the poor) just curl up and die. Especially the babies and little kids who couldn't work if they wanted to.

Such a fine, religious, charitable way to live.

Commendable, really.

The goverment is not "religious" or "charitable" and should NEVER go down that path. This is up to each person INDIVIDUALLY and at a local level.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM

113 posts, read 152,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While we don't fast or eat a vegetarian diet, we do spend considerably less than what the average food stamp allotment is for a family of 4. Our monthly grocery bill comes in at right at around $300 a month because I use coupons and shop intelligently. Every one of our meals is balanced and nutritious, other than the every-other-week splurge when we order pizza or chinese food.

I find it amazing that people who have a designated $500+ (that's the amount you get in Florida for a family of four) to spend on groceries each month are complaining that it isn't enough to feed their family.

Completely agreed.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Start by shutting down overseas bases and cutting congress's pay in half at least. Why pay them to do nothing?

Any kind of fraud is a problem. I stood in line to pay for my groceries. In front of me was a grossly fat woman with equally obese children. She paid for potato chips, Cheetos, Doritos, sugary cereal, soda pop with a EBT card. then waddled out of the store and got into a brand new Chevy Silverado.

'Splain that to me, Lucy.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Because there is no oversight and the FedGov relies on people to report fraud.
They don't do audits or reverification of eligibility.
They don't even know about their own program's spending as FOIA documents that journalists get indicate tens of millions spent in vacation destinations. And when journalists approach the agencies they declare ignorance and say they will investigate the matter.

You won't find fraud if you don't go looking for it.

EBT cards are being used on cruise ships for crying out loud and the SNAP people didn't know about it until journalists told them it was in their data.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Yeah, Frank. Let 'em die!

Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" in action!

Let "those" people (the poor) just curl up and die. Especially the babies and little kids who couldn't work if they wanted to.

Such a fine, religious, charitable way to live.

Commendable, really.
Yet no cries of "stop having children you can't afford to feed" from those that are perfectly willing to give away other people's money. No, those kids didn't ask for poverty. But it's their parents, not me, that should be held responsible for that.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
States are responsible for detecting and preventing fraud with most welfare programs.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because there is no oversight and the FedGov relies on people to report fraud.
They don't do audits or reverification of eligibility.
They don't even know about their own program's spending as FOIA documents that journalists get indicate tens of millions spent in vacation destinations. And when journalists approach the agencies they declare ignorance and say they will investigate the matter.

You won't find fraud if you don't go looking for it.

EBT cards are being used on cruise ships for crying out loud and the SNAP people didn't know about it until journalists told them it was in their data.
In relation to my above post, I reported that woman, and as I understand it, she had her EBT benefits halved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies