Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I can't name a single person in elected office who I would consider a "good example" or someone I would want as a role model for my children.
you nailed it.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,910,283 times
I don't think most politicians are good people but him being so large gives me questions like what if he had a heart attack on the job or is it a good way for other countries to see the USA as a fat country?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Okay this sounds horrific and I will be honest and say I don't know what he stands for. However the obesity epidemic is out of control and I feel he is a bad example for that. I feel we shouldn't be rewarding people for horrible behavior.
Generally politcos always exempt themselves from any nanny-state initiatives. Mayor Daley & Bloomberg were anti-gun yet always made sure to have armed body guards. Elliot Spitzer busted prostitution rings and Weiner crusaded against on-line sex predators. No shortage of examples on the GOP side either--Gingrich, Sanford, etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM

7,977 posts, read 7,369,999 times
Quote:
I don't think most politicians are good people but him being so large gives me questions like what if he had a heart attack on the job or is it a good way for other countries to see the USA as a fat country?
Just because Governor Christie is overweight doesn't mean he isn't healty and vital.

John F. Kennedy looked to be the picture of health and vitality, but he was, in fact, in poor health during his Presidency. He suffered from Addison's disease, a very serious illness affecting the adrenal glands. Eisenhower was fit and active, and he had a heart attack in his second term in office. No President is immune from health problems.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,086,326 times
Quote:
Okay this sounds horrific and I will be honest and say I don't know what he stands for. However the obesity epidemic is out of control and I feel he is a bad example for that. I feel we shouldn't be rewarding people for horrible behavior.
It doesn't sound horrific. It sounds lazy and judgemental. You would be better served researching (any) candidate of (any) party that you are considering voting for. What are their positions? What is their voting record? Do they speak for everyone they represent or only a chosen few? But research takes time.........doesn't it?

Whether they are fat - or ugly - or old - or male or female or black or white shouldn't play into the equation. Ever. Because THOSE qualities don't hit your wallet and make you sleep well at night secure in the knowledge that your political representatives are actually representing YOU.

Pelosi is a botoxed, vindictive, partisan shrew who's living in a medicated rainbow of a world. I base that on her words, her actions, her knee-jerk defense of the sometimes indefensible. The fact that she's old and ugly has nothing to do with my opinion of her.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM

99,803 posts, read 4,502,954 times
Quote:
Yes, and the rigors of a presidential campaign would be very risky for a man with Christie's weight problem. The candidates eat very poorly and sleep very little while running through a punishing schedule of one campaign event after another for two years.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,908,240 times
He had lap band surgery about this time last year, and has lost considerable weight, and continues to lose weight. It takes time. He stated at the time, he isn't doing it so he could run for office, he was doing it so he could watch his children and grand children grow up. The way he is progressing, he will be looking great by the end of this year... I give him all the credit in the world for going through the process...

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,468,533 times
Honestly, I could care less about his weight...

Unless he's going around trying to fat shame people, or tell people they are fat because they lack personal responsibility, or anything like that (as Rush Limbaugh attempts). Anyone who does that crap and looks like they are trying to shoplift half a pig should ruthlessly mocked. Unlike a number of conservatives (Gingrich, Limbaugh, Craig, Haggard) Christie has not been a hypocrite.

It is sad being a person with basic integrity is soething to extol in a group of people, but you have to give credit for some people in that.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,914,076 times
He had lap band surgery which, I believe, is the least drastic (and risky) of those types of surgeries. I think Christie can expect to lose about 2-3 pounds per week.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,542,464 times
Quote:
Kinda strange how we just say all politicians are evil by default because they are politicians!

Like we know all politicians? must just be the cool hip thing to do, disrespect Government employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies