Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Just wondering if ssm supporters had anything next on thier agenda... thats what came to mind when I read the title of the op... I have no agenda, just curious what their next objective is. Is that Ok?
Oh, I don't know, perhaps the right to bear arms, to be secure from government spying, to not be subject to warrant-less searches, to feel secure in their homes, and other rights guaranteed by the constitution, but not so much in practice.......... you know the same things that I want, and I suspect you do.

I suspect the title is based on the concept that SSM is going to destroy marriage for opposite sex partners, which is one of the cries from the homophobes. Seems if their marriage is so fragile, they should be working on their own marriage instead of worrying about who others marry.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I suspect the title is based on the concept that SSM is going to destroy marriage for opposite sex partners, which is one of the cries from the homophobes. Seems if their marriage is so fragile, they should be working on their own marriage instead of worrying about who others marry.

Er, no, maybe it is badly phrased but it is not what I meant at all (english is not my first language)

What I wanted to discuss is if people who oppose it, will still continue to fight it and how or if they'll move on.

I'm in very full support of SSM and I actually have a hard time understanding why it is so hard and takes so long in the USA.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM

27,664 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Er, no, maybe it is badly phrased but it is not what I meant at all (english is not my first language)

What I wanted to discuss is if people who oppose it, will still continue to fight it and how or if they'll move on.

I'm in very full support of SSM and I actually have a hard time understanding why it is so hard and takes so long in the USA.
I am not sure there is a large portion of people publicly fighting or opposing it... It is probably more of political hot water that is cooling down and will soon be in the rear view. I am betting that most are tired of the kabooki theatre that has made for political tv all over it.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post

It will be no different than any other bigotry that exists. In this country, especially in the south, racism is still quite common. Passing laws, rulings by the Supreme Court, are not going to change the minds of people. Bigotry is alive and well, especially in the bible belt.

Racism and the hatred it manifests are still common family values throughout the rural south. Though the schools and churches are integrated, it is not all inclusive, as there are many churches that are totally segregated, and the same is true for private schools. The hatred/bigotry regarding anyone different, be it skin color, sexual preference, and even gender has been programmed into these people since before they were potty trained. It won't go away by passing law, or even for generations as they are teaching the same hate/bigotry to their children. Christian beliefs, especially the more fundy varieties are used as the excuse or motivation to continue down this path.

Interracial Couple Banned From Kentucky Church

It will be no different when SSM is legal and laws are passed to ban discrimination against it.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:
It will be no different than any other bigotry that exists. In this country, especially in the south, racism is still quite common. Passing laws, rulings by the Supreme Court, are not going to change the minds of people. Bigotry is alive and well, especially in the bible belt.

Racism and the hatred it manifests are still common family values throughout the rural south. Though the schools and churches are integrated, it is not all inclusive, as there are many churches that are totally segregated, and the same is true for private schools. The hatred/bigotry regarding anyone different, be it skin color, sexual preference, and even gender has been programmed into these people since before they were potty trained. It won't go away by passing law, or even for generations as they are teaching the same hate/bigotry to their children. Christian beliefs, especially the more fundy varieties are used as the excuse or motivation to continue down this path.

It will be no different when SSM is legal and laws are passed to ban discrimination against it.
I see what you mean but even then, the bigotry you mention has greatly diminished, even if it still exists, hasn't it? One has to start somewhere

Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM

27,664 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:

ironic much?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,607 times
If it ever is, which probably won't because most states including the South is against it, you will start to see polygamist and incest groups demanding a right to marry as well, they will say they are being persecuted and liberals will come to their rescue and say that such lifestyles are completely normal and label anyone who speaks out against it as a bigot.

Basically the same thing they do with Gay marriage already.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
If it ever is, which probably won't because most states including the South is against it, you will start to see polygamist and incest groups demanding a right to marry as well, they will say they are being persecuted and liberals will come to their rescue and say that such lifestyles are completely normal and label anyone who speaks out against it as a bigot.

Unfortunately, you're right. The reason we don't allow polygamy and incest is that marriage is/was about protecting children and sometimes that meant protecting them from being born. Gay unions do not produce biological children and pose no such issues, hence, if we allow gay marriage we are declaring that marriage has nothing to do with protecting children which means we must allow both polygamy and incest because marriage is now about your freedom to choose to be married to whomever you want.

On the bright side, I can marry my best friend in addition to dh and cover her on my medical insurance and no one will be able to say boo about it because no one has the right to question my choice of marital partners or my reasons for taking them.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:

That's ridiculous, and pretty much playing into every debunked "slippery slope fallacy" in existence... but you guys still keep trying to convince us it's true, don't you??

For the record, I couldn't care less if someone marries a relative or multiple spouses. And for those who love to use religious arguments against SSM, the polygamy & incest is actually what the Bible PREFERS and "endorses" above almost anything. Heck, in my own culture (Ashkenazi Jewish) marrying cousins is considered the ultimate score! My great-uncle married a second cousin, and that was just within the last century. But if we're discussing legal marriage, two unrelated same-sex individuals is a completely different issue from multiple and/or related spouses; logistically speaking.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:

As long as all parties are consenting adults and you are not required to participate, what difference does it make?

If they are happy, all I can say is "Mazel Tov!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies