Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
As long as all parties are consenting adults and you are not required to participate, what difference does it make?

If they are happy, all I can say is "Mazel Tov!"
Does the same go for polygamy and incest marriages if all are consenting adults?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Unfortunately, you're right. The reason we don't allow polygamy and incest is that marriage is/was about protecting children and sometimes that meant protecting them from being born. Gay unions do not produce biological children and pose no such issues, hence, if we allow gay marriage we are declaring that marriage has nothing to do with protecting children which means we must allow both polygamy and incest because marriage is now about your freedom to choose to be married to whomever you want.
You're wrong, but knowing your m.o., I won't waste my time trying to convince you otherwise... keep living with the blinders on, must be nice.

Quote:
On the bright side, I can marry my best friend in addition to dh and cover her on my medical insurance and no one will be able to say boo about it because no one has the right to question my choice of marital partners or my reasons for taking them.
What does this have to do with SSM? I can go to Arkansas (where SSM isn't currently legal) and marry an opposite-sex friend, right? Does the government currently "question motivations" of opposite-sex OR same-sex couples? Nope, so your point is irrelevant.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It will be no different than any other. bigotry that exists. In this country, especially in the south, racism is still quite common. Passing laws, rulings by the Supreme Court, are not going to change the minds of people. Bigotry is alive and well, especially in the bible belt.

Racism and the hatred it manifests are still common family values throughout the rural south. Though the schools and churches are integrated, it is not all inclusive, as there are many churches that are totally segregated, and the same is true for private schools. The hatred/bigotry regarding anyone different, be it skin color, sexual preference, and even gender has been programmed into these people since before they were potty trained. It won't go away by passing law, or even for generations as they are teaching the same hate/bigotry to their children. Christian beliefs, especially the more fundy varieties are used as the excuse or motivation to continue down this path.

Interracial Couple Banned From Kentucky Church

It will be no different when SSM is legal and laws are passed to ban discrimination against it.
I am from the South, have been from Florida, to Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, and I have rarely ever witnessed or heard discrimination against blacks or any other minorities here. Same goes for Gay people. I know a lot of interracial couples and none of them have ever had any issues. I've heard more racial slurs and homopic things in Southern California actually. That link is an isolated incident.

Anyway I find it interesting that most of the states that have Gay marriage were only passed because of corrupt liberal judges who overturned the will of the people. Even in the most liberal states, such as California, the strong majority is against it. Wether you support Gay marriage or not, it's wrong for any judge or office holder to have that much power, it's onlya mmatter of time before they take use their power again against something you don't want to lose.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:51 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Does the same go for polygamy and incest marriages if all are consenting adults?
I know you weren't asking me, but since I too would say "Mazel Tov!" to a gay couple who recently married (and have), I'll answer... yes, that would apply to ANY couple or group of consenting adults, no matter how I personally feel about their union. Heck, there are plenty of opposite-sex couples I didn't think should marry, but still wished them well and bought a gift. It's not all about the rest of us and our widdle feewings, it's about the couple (trio, whatever). And if they're happy, I will be happy for them.

P.S. I do believe that other poster was answering your question already, you just misread it to mean gay couples only. Read that comment again.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I am from the South, have been from Florida, to Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, and I have rarely ever witnessed or heard discrimination against blacks or any other minorities here. Same goes for Gay people. I know a lot of interracial couples and none of them have ever had any issues. I've heard more racial slurs and homopic things in Southern California actually. That link is an isolated incident.

Anyway I find it interesting that most of the states that have Gay marriage were only passed because of corrupt liberal judges who overturned the will of the people. Even in the most liberal states, such as California, the strong majority is against it. Wether you support Gay marriage or not, it's wrong for any judge or office holder to have that much power, it's onlya mmatter of time before they take use their power again against something you don't want to lose.
How dare those corrupt judges do their job of making sure that contested laws are constitutional. What are they thinking? States should be allowed to enact any law they want even if it violates the constitution.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:

It is the courts responsibility to do what is right, not what is popular. If they didn't rule in this way I can only fathom the atrocities that the American people would have voted for over the centuries.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, you're right. The reason we don't allow polygamy and incest is that marriage is/was about protecting children and sometimes that meant protecting them from being born. Gay unions do not produce biological children and pose no such issues, hence, if we allow gay marriage we are declaring that marriage has nothing to do with protecting children which means we must allow both polygamy and incest because marriage is now about your freedom to choose to be married to whomever you want.

On the bright side, I can marry my best friend in addition to dh and cover her on my medical insurance and no one will be able to say boo about it because no one has the right to question my choice of marital partners or my reasons for taking them.
What if a man wanted to marry his brother? They can't reproduce either, neither can a woman and her sister. What is your reasoning against that? Their isn't. If your okay with gay marriage you have to be okay with marriage for all, otherwise your just being hypocritical.

And I don't care if it offends anyone, but a child needs both a father figure and a mother figure. It's completely vital to a child's well being. It's a psychological fact that cannot be denied and is not open for debate.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM

One thing I wish liberals and gay activists would stop doing is name calling. Stop calling people who don't support Gay marriage bigots and homophobes, most of us traditional marriage supporters are not either of those things and we don't hate gay people.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You really are doing a find job of representing the ugly side of christianity.
What does Christianity have to do with this discussion?

Harrier isn't representing anything but himself.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
One thing I wish liberals and gay activists would stop doing is name calling. Stop calling people who don't support Gay marriage bigots and homophobes, most of us traditional marriage supporters are not either of those things and we don't hate gay people.
Well, when you say things so offensive what do you expect in return?

And I honestly don't care if siblings want to get married. I really don't. lol. Two consenting adults can do as they please if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies