Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Because it took Reeves going to management to get the guy to do it. He repeatedly ignored the requests to put the thing away. Maybe if he had answered Reeves the first time, saying sorry I'm almost done.

Both guys were idiots. And if we ignore Oulson's part in it, we don't learn anything from this. Yesterday I was at the car wash and guys were blasting loud boom music next to me that shook my insides. I could see a possible scenario of someone getting upset, and how it could escalate. If someone asked them to turn it down, they should just do so. But they probably would have challenged the person and there you go....

Just don't be an annoyance, and if you are and someone tells you to stop it, take their advice. That is the lesson. We used to be taught this by our parents just as part of being a decent respectful member of society.

There are a lot of people "on the edge", so don't challenge or threaten.
Oh yes, the lesson we're learning here is that the appropriate response to rudeness is to shoot someone. You know, as a decent respectful member of society.

Let's teach our children that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
But why does Reeves get to decide who gets to do what and when they get to do it? The manager is the one who should have asked the victim to stop, that is his job.

Reeves himself caused a considerable amount of disruption and annoyance in the movie theater getting up and down, leaving and coming back, and talking to the victim loudly enough that others could hear him. I would have preferred to be next to the guy that was texting. (during the previews at that) Just my opinion.

When Reeves returned from complaining to the manager and saw that Oulsen had put away his phone, he should have dropped it. According the witnesses, he did not. He got what he wanted, but that was not enough for him apparently.
You just can't please some people.

First, you whine that Reeves didn't let management handle it.

Then, you whine about Reeves disrupting people by going to management.

Which is it?

And no, that's not where it ended.

Did you not see Reeves sitting in his seat and Oulson standing, turned to face Reeves, leaning over his own seat, grabbing Reeves' popcorn, then tossing it in his face?

You might want to look again. It's a critical part of what happened.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You just can't please some people.

First, you whine that Reeves didn't let management handle it.

Then, you whine about Reeves disrupting people by going to management.

Which is it?

And no, that's not where it ended.

Did you not see Reeves sitting in his seat and Oulson standing, turned to face Reeves, leaning over his own seat, grabbing Reeves' popcorn, then tossing it in his face?

You might want to look again. It's a critical part of what happened.
On what planet do you live where the appropriate response to someone being annoying is to shoot him? You keep ignoring this burning question, Dale.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
On what planet do you live where the appropriate response to someone being annoying is to shoot him? You keep ignoring this burning question, Dale.
And you keep ignoring the FACT that Reeves was sitting down and Oulson assaulted him.

I'm wondering about your planet. It must be mighty hot there; it's fried your brain.

P.S. I've given the same response many times. Comprehension is a good thing. Get some.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And you keep ignoring the FACT that Reeves was sitting down and Oulson assaulted him.

I'm wondering about your planet. It must be mighty hot there; it's fried your brain.

P.S. I've given the same response many times. Comprehension is a good thing. Get some.
Only popcorn doesn't equal assault. Especially since Reeves was verbally accosting Oulson. Even though Oulson had put away his phone. Reeves wasn't afraid. Reeves was ticked off. Livid. Unable to control his own anger. That's why he's in jail.

And may I ask how did Reeves manage to retrieve his gun from his pocket in that split-second after the popcorn was tossed? He doesn't seem to have to shift in his seat, reach for his gun, or anything. There's virtually no draw. It's not just a fast-draw. There's NO draw. As if he already had his hand on the gun, ready to shoot, when he goaded Oulson.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:24 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So if you are doing something that is perfectly legal, and someone tells you to stop, you would stop? Seriously?
IF you don't stop doing what they tell you to do, is it then ok for them to shoot you?
Yes, of course, if someone asks me to be quiet when I am making a lot of unnecessary noise or shining a light (was asked to stop taking pics before and did), I may not realize I am being annoying so I will apologize and stop. I used to play loud music too sometimes but not nearly as loud as they play it now, and if anyone told me to turn it down I would. You want everyone to involve the police or authorities like six year olds? Just be reasonable adults.

It is not OK for anyone to shoot over it, I just realize many people are nuts now so I would be cautious about challenging people if I knew I was being a pest, or doing something wrong. These shootings don't happen because the person is being annoying, it's after an escalation. Sometimes you just flash a look at people and they know they are being a jerk and they stop it.

None of this violence is OK, it's a fact of life. If you are saying it is worth it for the man to be dead because he should not have had to acknowledge the old man asking him to stop texting, I don't know what to say. I suspect he would be alive if he had said "oh, I'm almost finished", just some acknowledgement of another human being. NO, he DID NOT DESERVE to be shot over it, NOT, but it is just a very odd way of communicating now, to be MEAN when you are asked to dare think about what you are doing. This goes for people on planes, people and their pets, stalkery weirdo neighbors, etc. The police often ask you if you tried to work it out on your own anyway. So that is what is expected.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
The guy that shot up an SUV full of loud music playing youngsters killing the 17 year old and the one that shot and killed the popcorn throwing man should both be sent to prison for the rest of their natural born lives. Maybe they can be roomies.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
The guy that shot up an SUV full of loud music playing youngsters killing the 17 year old and the one that shot and killed the popcorn throwing man should both be sent to prison for the rest of their natural born lives. Maybe they can be roomies.
Yes, and all their prison inmate friends can tiptoe around them since they are so easily offended.

Yah - they are going to LOVE jail.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, and all their prison inmate friends can tiptoe around them since they are so easily offended.

Yah - they are going to LOVE jail.
Some people seem to care more about the fate of the accused than the dead people. What about Zimmerman, he's making bank selling ugly drawings and being a boxing star and heck maybe a book and a reality show. Like he's gonna pay, more like get paid.

It seems like people don't want to deal with the real issue to avoid future tragedies. I don't think some feel all that bad about this happening again. All three men/boys could be alive, even if all three shooters are trigger happy, just by having a different attitude.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, of course, if someone asks me to be quiet when I am making a lot of unnecessary noise or shining a light (was asked to stop taking pics before and did), I may not realize I am being annoying so I will apologize and stop. I used to play loud music too sometimes but not nearly as loud as they play it now, and if anyone told me to turn it down I would. You want everyone to involve the police or authorities like six year olds? Just be reasonable adults.

It is not OK for anyone to shoot over it, I just realize many people are nuts now so I would be cautious about challenging people if I knew I was being a pest, or doing something wrong. These shootings don't happen because the person is being annoying, it's after an escalation. Sometimes you just flash a look at people and they know they are being a jerk and they stop it.

None of this violence is OK, it's a fact of life. If you are saying it is worth it for the man to be dead because he should not have had to acknowledge the old man asking him to stop texting, I don't know what to say. I suspect he would be alive if he had said "oh, I'm almost finished", just some acknowledgement of another human being. NO, he DID NOT DESERVE to be shot over it, NOT, but it is just a very odd way of communicating now, to be MEAN when you are asked to dare think about what you are doing. This goes for people on planes, people and their pets, stalkery weirdo neighbors, etc. The police often ask you if you tried to work it out on your own anyway. So that is what is expected.
Texting does not create noise. Also the texter finished his text and put away the phone, but that wasn't good enough for the shooter who kept running his mouth to the point that the texter told him to F off. Maybe YOU will sit there and let another person berate you, but I have a spine, and won't take it. Reeves had no business telling another adult what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies