Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I understand the theater doesn't allow cell phone use In The Auditoriums. Period.

Sure, the shooter could have moved, kept his mouth shut until the movie started, done any number of things. Just as the younger guy could have. The entitlement, rudeness prior to the shooting was worse by the texter.

Oh, he didn't deserve to die.
The theater doesn't allow firearms either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And sometimes rules become out of date, as well. Once upon a time, schools didn't allow calculators. I bet there are still some schools where that may still be a rule, but as times have changed, that particular rule is simply ignored and never enforced.

And the prohibition against cell phones in theater auditoriums was aimed at preventing people from disrupting the theater DURING the movie. Technology, as in the case with calculators, has advanced so that outdated rules are simply ignored and never enforced.

I go to the movies about once a month. And prior to the movie at least a third of the audience is utilizing their cell phones in some manner. And management ONLY intervenes when someone continues to use their phone DURING the movie.

Life, technology, and our relationship with that technology have changed. I simply cannot fathom why it would irritate anyone for someone to be texting PRIOR to the movie. If it doesn't impact you in any way, how is it rude?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
It was the cellphone that caused the altercation.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Goodness. I already said Both Men violated theater rules. The shooter's violation is obviously more dangerous. However,...

if people want to bring up rudeness and entitlement, the texter was worse.

ps --- he didn't deserve to die.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Goodness. I already said Both Men violated theater rules. The shooter's violation is obviously more dangerous. However,...

Why is the texter worse?

What harm did the texter do? If you are sitting on a bus, and the person sitting across from you is texting on their cell phone----is it inconveniencing or harming you in any way?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
God, I lived in Florida for six months years ago. So glad I moved out of that sh*thole. I know it'll be denied by all the gun rights supporters, but this is what happens when you have "stand your ground" laws. You turn ordinary encounters into the OK Corral.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why is the texter worse?

What harm did the texter do? If you are sitting on a bus, and the person sitting across from you is texting on their cell phone----is it inconveniencing or harming you in any way?
That is what I don't understand. I do not text, never have. So, what was so disturbing to this retired cop that got him riled up? Was the phone beeping, making sounds? Was the light from the phone bothering this guy or was it just the fact the guy was tapping away on his phone when cell phone use is prohibited?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:

how is a texter worse than a shooter?

and then you end it with "he didn't deserve to die"

I despise texting in movie theaters but it was during the promos...

killing or shooting someone is ALWAYS worse than texting

Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Both men felt entitled to violate theater rules. A difference is, the younger one felt entitled to continue after told it was annoying by another patron. He also felt entitled to escalate from words to throwing popcorn. No, he didn't deserve to die, but ease up on the 'old age entitlement.' The younger guy had more of an entitlement mentality in this case.
Who cares? The point is, nobody had to die. The fact that someone brings a gun into a theater is telling - it tells me that he anticipated having a confrontation with someone, and that he thought that his gun might be necessary to end the confrontation. It's no different than, oh, say, some neighborhood watchman who pretends to be a cop and takes his gun around the neighborhood, tracing anyone he deems suspicious. I've tried to point out to the SYG morons that it's not just the SYG law that's flawed, but the attitude it engenders. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the intellectual ability to comprehend that argument. Meanwhile, I am guessing that more people will get shot over a parking space, texting in a theater, getting cut off and flipped off in traffic, and anything else that could be handled with logic and reason rather than a hail of gunfire. Florida is a sh*thole.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It was the cellphone that caused the altercation.
Oh for heaven's sake......! It was not the cel-phone or the use thereof prior to the lights dimming and main feature starting, it was intolerance and ego that caused the altercation.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-17-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies