Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times

Advertisements

I guess he just stood his ground in merry old Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
First off, to the OP I'd like to know how you shoot someone "alive"? That sentence "Man shot dead" drives me up a wall, like finger nails on a blackboard.

As for the incident, evidently a 71 year old retired cop had asked this guy to knock it off repeatedly and things escallated verbally after the old guy went to the lobby and came back. It's not been totally explained how bad the verbal fight got. The retired cop then pulled his .380 and shot the moron with the phone hitting him in the chest and his wife in the hand when she reached for her husband while he was being shot at.

With all that being said there's no reason that a retired cop should have shot the moron no matter how moronic he was being unless it got physical (he is 71 after all). Detained him or arrested him? Ok, but shooting him was over the line (given the facts that have been released so far).

Now before all the anti-gun crowd gets their collective panties in a wad, isn't it your crowd that says only the cops are trained and experienced enough to possess guns?
Hmmmmm?
Sorry, you are way off base. Texting in a theater is annoying, sure, and getting into an argument over it- no matter how loud the argument gets (argument started by the idiot with the gun, by the way), does it even warrant arrest- at the MOST it would warrant both parties being kicked out of the theater. The texter was annoying, the shooter was the moron- and that is even before the gun came into play.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As has that wonderful position taken by RWNJ's that arming EVERYONE would end this stuff ~ your point being I guess, that both sides have adopted a position of unparalleled stupidity thereby nullifying each other?

My point was: those views of either party are adequately known and repeated but, NOT on this thread where we happen to be posting right now; and an eyeroll right back at ya.
Repeated here or not, they are in fact a fact.

And this case here is evidence of how absurd the liberal mindset is to entrust our entire infrastructure to "authorities" in most any capacity.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Default Man shot dead in Tampa movie theater - over texting

Both men were wrong.

It takes two to Tango. I don't go to movies any more, they cost too much.
People are rude, you can't really enjoy the movie because of loud children,
inconsiderate jerks text, throw pop corn, etc. etc, etc. The old guy didn't
use good judgement, and will probably go to jail for the rest of his life.

As in most confrontations, both were wrong, and very few 'incidents' have a
totally innocent party. It is sad that someone lost his life but, he did start
the whole incident that ruined many lives.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I guess he just stood his ground in merry old Florida.
By throwing popcorn.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Both men were wrong.

Excuse me???

I guess women who are raped "started" the whole incident by wearing something appealing.

Men get in arguments all the time. If we killed each other over arguments we'd likely have a shrinking population.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Both men were wrong.

How did he start the whole thing? By doing something that is perfectly legal? By not bowing to someones demands?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Now before all the anti-gun crowd gets their collective panties in a wad, isn't it your crowd that says only the cops are trained and experienced enough to possess guns?
Hmmmmm?
The man wasn't acting in the capacity of a cop. In fact he wasn't a cop. . retired. He used to be a cop.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Both men were wrong.

Nope, only the shooter

texting during previews is perfectly acceptable. The movie hasn't started.

And the idea that . . he shared in the outcome. Pretty stupid. Your kid/wife/partner talks back to you. Pull out a gun, shoot him/her in the head.

Well, its his fault for talking back. Two to tango and all.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Bru, I agree with some points, and let me repeat, I think the cop was also an aggressive bully.

However, to better understand how they even got to this place, lets look at the law of the jungle, bigger eats littler and weaker. Big guy, by definition is more "confident and assertive" read aggressive, especially to something perceived as weaker/smaller. It's a subconscious act. It's particularly degrading for a big guy to be annoyed and pushed around by a annoying old weakling, who had the gall to order him around when he fully had the right to do what he was doing. Think about what is going on in his head "Who does this little old man think he is, I have a RIGHT to do this".

Some cooler heads may have then thought, "hmmm, this old guy is a jerk, I'll just finish my text in the hall rather than continuing this confrontation, I'll also let management know that there is an old guy harassing me". But he did not, why, most of his life, he naturally "asserts" himself and others to his will. Size is a major evolutionary advantage, so its is just natural for him not to acquiesce to some smaller weaker person. He continues, texts MORE to show his contempt for the petty little old man and when confronted again, he threw something in his face to further show his contempt for the petty little man.

The petty little old man, also used to getting his way with an equalizer, became enraged with what he perceived as a likely combo of entitled arrogance and then bullying contempt and aggression, used his equalizer in a moment of fear and rage.

I think the ex cop was totally wrong, but I'm actually trying to describe what happened here. The truth is they both exhibited bad judgement and bulling behavior. Did one deserve to die, absolutely not, I'm looking at the underlying behaviors, even animal/social dynamics to try and dissect the events.
The young guy was a victim, he never anticipated the force of the reaction to his behavior, his base instincts told him to take what was his, claim his rights and not be disrespected by the old man. The young guy could have just as easily complained to management himself, instead he chose to engage and act aggressively towards him. When you look at it through the lens of some of our more animal base nature, you see a possible scenario/motivation on both sides as to why this happened.

Tragic and heartbreaking.
I understand your viewpoint but I also disagree with it as the assumption the bigger guy was going into automatic resentment mode of being ordered by the smaller man does not fit here. Reeves was sitting behind Oulson and therefore above him. Oulson did not even get to his feet and turn around to address Reeves until well into the second round of discussion over this trivial thing. That is contrary to what would be the behaviour of someone relying upon their height and stature to intimidate. Were those personality attributes part of his character that would have been the very first thing Oulson would have done ~ stand up to his full height to intimidate the smaller man.

We're also assuming many things with this exchange regarding the relative size of both men. Do we in fact know Reeves was not a fairly tall man himself and in his mug shot he looks to have the biceps and bulk of a relatively fit and muscled up 71 year old.

I believe and again, it is my opinion only here, that you have the feelings of disrespect and alpha dog at polar opposites as it applies to these two guys. Reeves initiated the altercation and did so from his self-perceived position of being the alpha dog, ex-police captain used to being summarily obeyed without question. It was Reeves reacting to his perception he was being disrespected by a citizen not awarding him automatic compliance as he was used to receiving that kept this on the boil.

Witnesses describe only one party in this exchange showing rage and anger ~ Reeves. He returned from his sojurn to the lobby even more worked up. He better not have gone to his car to retrieve his weapon during this hiatus as that brings a whole new charge to this issue.

These are all conjecture at this point but the known facts are irrefutable. Reeves, the retired cop, initiated the altercation, left the immediate scene leaving his wife sitting there alone apparently not thinking or interpreting Oulson's behaviour as threatening at that point. None of us would leave our wives unattended in the presence of a man we deem to be the LEAST bit intimidating or threatening, never mind a deadly threat.

I'm confidant court testimony by witnesses will reveal it was Reeves running his mouth in an aggressive manner, using patronizing and demeaning verbiage to finally cause Oulson to stand up, turn around and toss his popcorn.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-16-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies