Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times

Advertisements

A reflex action to pull a illegally concealed hand gun and murder an unarmed man? As has been mentioned carrying a gun into this movie theatre was prohibited, so Reeves had already committed a felony by just being in possession of the weapon.

Why did he feel it necessary to have a gun with him in the first place? did he go to that theatre intending to kill someone/anyone? The officer who disarmed him said his gun had jammed, so who knows how many people he might have killed had his gun worked properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
A reflex action to pull a illegally concealed hand gun and murder an unarmed man? As has been mentioned carrying a gun into this movie theatre was prohibited, so Reeves had already committed a felony by just being in possession of the weapon.

Why did he feel it necessary to have a gun with him in the first place? did he go to that theatre intending to kill someone/anyone? The officer who disarmed him said his gun had jammed, so who knows how many people he might have killed had his gun worked properly.

This is incorrect. Its not illegal to take a gun into a theatre in Florida. The theatre can say no guns, and they can ask you to leave if they know you have one, but their rule does not negate state law which allows you to have the gun.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes, if you know that's what it is flying into your face and eyes. Can you prove the old fella knew it was harmless popcorn being flung at him by a belligerent stranger?
Oh Dale, the Reeves legal team should hire you as a jury consultant. I'm sure you can round up a group of low IQ cop lover citizens that would likely vote to acquit during opening statements. But if things start looking bad I'm sure they could go with the the Johnny Cochran route and keep repeating "If the defendant got hit, you must acquit".

Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Throwing something into your opponents eyes, like sand, a cape, etc. to distract them while you pull a weapon is a common and ancient tactic.

I am not defending the shooter's actions, but it could have instigated a reflexive action on his part.
The state of this section..... I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
I perused a number of 2nd amendment and gun enthusiast forums last night.

Interestingly, I found much less support for this shooter among the gun owners on those sites than on this one--and certainly none of the fairy-tale defenses I've read on this thread.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
That's what makes this Political Section so interesting. A huge chunk of the people who post are out of their bloody minds.

StormFront is more level headed reading at times.
I agree. You have people on here talking about how the victim broke the rules of the theater like it is a criminal offense, and somehow that justified the old guy killing him. You don't KILL people at will. If I shot everyone I disagreed with, there would be a lot of dead people.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I agree. You have people on here talking about how the victim broke the rules of the theater like it is a criminal offense, and somehow that justified the old guy killing him. You don't KILL people at will. If I shot everyone I disagreed with, there would be a lot of dead people.
We still don't have enough details to deliver judgment.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The point is that the retired police officer does have unique experience. The prosecution can argue that his years of experience makes him an expert in accurately judging confrontations. Experts will always--and should always--be judged more harshly for errors than dilettantes, and an experienced police officer is expected to be an expert with confrontations.

The defense is going to have to deflect all "expert" and "experience" connotations.
You are muddying the water with the term "expert". We are talking about a police officer and the focus is on their training to act without hesitation to serious threats or lose their lives.

Police officers are not generally judged more harshly in confrontational scenarios and should not be. All you need do is put yourself in their shoes for a minute and seriously consider what they deal with on a daily basis to understand why.

None of us know all the pertinent facts and most of us will never know them. So by no means am I am predicting an outcome or even what that outcome should be. I'm simply saying that the shooter's former police officer status will not impact his case negatively and may, in fact, help him.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I think we have to take a lot of contextual liberties with some posters offerings here. I'm convinced there are at least a couple who post in the most 'contrary to logical' norms, simply to engage those of us who take umbrage at such nonsense, to fill their personal entertainment needs.

I'm further convinced their particular moral compass is skewed somewhat in that they resort to this silliness without respect to the fact a man lost his life, a wife lost her husband, a small child lost her father and from all accounts many people lost an active friend.

Words like bully have been used to describe a guy who didn't even stand up and turn around to face his protagonist until the final few moments of this terrible event. I'm convinced those words come from people who have been intimidated by physical stature of others all of their lives and ascribe that title merely due to the victim's stature while ignoring the fact in evidence this retired cop has used his previous authority status to bully people well into his retirement and as recent as two weeks before this incident.

Regardless of negative personality traits of either of these two men the facts leading to the terrible outcome will prevail eventually to exact justice in some form.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The guy texting in the theatre was obviously a thug and a punk. The retired cop was just defending himself from that thug. The guy texting in the theatre shouldn't have attacked that armed retired cop. That'll teach other punks like him.
Oh look, there's one now.

I rest my case stated in above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies