Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Did Oulsen ever consider just shutting off his cellphone?
Nope; not at first, and neither did Reeves, along with his wife consider just moving to another seat in a theater with only 25 patrons in attendance.

Witnesses have stated Oulson was sitting eating from the bag of dangerous popcorn upon Reeves return from his safari to the lobby. I don't know about y'all, but any 'almost noiseless' texting I've ever done (minimal) required both hands or at least one very nimble single thumb. I know I could not perform this while holding a bag with one hand and stuffing popcorn into my yap with the other......I'm thinking his cel-phone was in his pocket at this point...no?

Cel-phone off, case closed. Sit down mister cop and now begin to apply the "I'm satisfied with the outcome and will remain silent as long as your cel-phone does." thereby defusing of ticking time bomb you've pulled the pin on in the first place.

You chose to confront someone rather than simply move to another seat. The issue is no longer there so when asked by Oulson if he'd been tattled on simply say "yes, they're aware of it and now that you've stopped there will be no more problems from them or I."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
I do too because it shows so clearly how societal norms are deteriorating and how quickly we are descending into barbarism.
I particularly like that Freudian slip usage of that last word there, as according to you, usage of a cel-phone at any time other than that approved by immediate neighbours constitutes "barbaric" behaviour while murdering someone who did not immediately comply with your demand is not.

You just can't make up this stuff!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
That's my argument? From what do you deduce that?
From your position:

Simple courtesy would have kept it all from happening.

And subsequent posts telling us that simple courtesy required Oulsen to obey Mr Reeves. Since Mr Oulsen and Mr Reeves were both adult males, both ex-military, generally equal in every way, the only reason proffered that Mr Oulsen should obey Mr Reeves is that Mr Reeves was older. That seems to be the "simple courtesy" you think was missing from Monday's sad events.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Hey, theoretically Yall' are both right. I think both of Yall' should go to a movie,
and just text away. If someones has a problem, yell back and then throw some
popcorn on them. While you're at it, next time you get cut off in traffic, open
that window and cuss em' out. Next time you are standing at a street corner,
and the light changes, start walking across. If a car runs a red light and kills
you, you will die knowing what you did was perfectly legal.
So if you are sitting there minding your own business, drinking coffee, and the guy next to you says to throw away your coffee, because he doesn't like the scent of coffee, you would happily comply? Or would you tell they guy to mind his own business, or move to a different seat if he was offended?

Sorry, but no one is required to comply with anothers wishes just because.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Hey, theoretically Yall' are both right. I think both of Yall' should go to a movie,
and just text away.
You MEAN, go to a movie, and text away BEFORE the movie starts. Right?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
From your position:

Simple courtesy would have kept it all from happening.

And subsequent posts telling us that simple courtesy required Oulsen to obey Mr Reeves. Since Mr Oulsen and Mr Reeves were both adult males, both ex-military, generally equal in every way, the only reason proffered that Mr Oulsen should obey Mr Reeves is that Mr Reeves was older. That seems to be the "simple courtesy" you think was missing from Monday's sad events.
If this were Korea, you'd have a point. In Korea, even a day of age difference would make a difference in their public discourse.

But we're in the US of A, where men have always been raised to stand their ground and face up to "authority"--especially if it's the self-appointed guy down the street.

In the US, deferrence of one grown man to another simply by reason of age difference went by the wayside a long, long time ago. Even in my childhood, a 40-year-old man with a wife and child would have been expected to defer in public to a raging 70 year old man only if there were other strong social factors in effect--such as the older man being deacon of the same church. A stranger on the street who just happened to be an old codger? For a high school student, yes. For another fully grown man, no.

You're dreaming of a "simple courtsey" that never really existed to that extent in the US between two grown men as a result of an age difference alone.

And as has been pointed out, Reeves is not "little old man." Reeves is over six feet, over 200 pounds, and appears to be in good health. My father-in-law is 83, of similar size and build, retired Army, and can still knock your head off your shoulders, if you're dumb enough to let him get a poke at you.

If a man like my father-in-law attacked me, I'd run like heck. I'm pretty sure I can still outdistance someone twenty years older than me. But if I were with my wife I wouldn't have that option, so I'd have to shoot him.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The one thing I would like to further comment on is your use of the word "fear". If, in fact, the old fella felt FEAR, his shooting will likely be deemed as justified. One little four-letter word can change everything.
I'm sure the judge will instruct the jury in the difference between mere "fear" and "reasonable fear."

Somebody afraid of ghosts or butterflies has less legal protection to defend himself with lethal force than someone reasonably afraid of being killed or seriously injured.

In the absence of stand your ground protection, which apparently doesn't apply here, the shooter has the burden of proof that his fear was reasonable, and also that his usage of deadly force was justified.

Cowards and scaredy cats don't get special protection under the law.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think we have to take a lot of contextual liberties with some posters offerings here. I'm convinced there are at least a couple who post in the most 'contrary to logical' norms, simply to engage those of us who take umbrage at such nonsense, to fill their personal entertainment needs.

I'm further convinced their particular moral compass is skewed somewhat in that they resort to this silliness without respect to the fact a man lost his life, a wife lost her husband, a small child lost her father and from all accounts many people lost an active friend.

Words like bully have been used to describe a guy who didn't even stand up and turn around to face his protagonist until the final few moments of this terrible event. I'm convinced those words come from people who have been intimidated by physical stature of others all of their lives and ascribe that title merely due to the victim's stature while ignoring the fact in evidence this retired cop has used his previous authority status to bully people well into his retirement and as recent as two weeks before this incident.

Regardless of negative personality traits of either of these two men the facts leading to the terrible outcome will prevail eventually to exact justice in some form.
Someone has to teach these thugs a lesson. The retired cop was being attacked by that thug. The retired cop was just protecting himself from that thug who was probably high on drugs. Oulsen should have learned to keep his hands to himself.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Someone has to teach these thugs a lesson. The retired cop was being attacked by that thug. The retired cop was just protecting himself from that thug who was probably high on drugs. Oulsen should have learned to keep his hands to himself.
Oulsen was not a thug.

Oulsen was not high on drugs.

Oulsen kept his hands to himself.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I particularly like that Freudian slip usage of that last word there, as according to you, usage of a cel-phone at any time other than that approved by immediate neighbours constitutes "barbaric" behaviour while murdering someone who did not immediately comply with your demand is not.

You just can't make up this stuff!
Welcome to my increasingly longer ignore list. I don't have time for people like you. "Freudian"! Do you even know what that means? Never mind. Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies