Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Blaming the victim and trying to rationalize away society's obligations...
Society's obligations are relativistic.

Quote:
Making changes that foster full employment in living wage jobs....
"Full employment" is unattainable for the foreseeable future, and "living wages" are Subjective, and therefore not real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So when will Dems stop trapping kids in abysmally performing public schools?
Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
How many "good" private schools do you think will open their doors to learning disabled students?
"Learning disabled students" were never a problem until Left Wingers created the problem.

Quote:
...to students with behavioral and psychological problems? to students who come to school infested with lice because their parents are pigs? to students who can't speak English? to students who come to school in the same dirty clothes every day because their parents are too strung out/lazy/psycho to care? to students who live with Grandma because Mommy's in jail?
Blah, blah, blah, blah...did this just start happening yesterday?

No.

Dysfunctional families have existed since families existed.....get over it.

It's not a Perfect World™ and people are far from perfect, so dysfunction is quite normal actually.

Quote:
I taught in inner city private and public school...
You want a free lunch to go with your pension?

Let's be honest.......you lowered the bar for teaching standards; you now have teachers who couldn't motivate a piece of paper to blow in the wind; teachers are more interested in sex with students and their pay-scale than teaching; you messed up the school system with government involvement; and suddenly your suffering is greater than the suffering of all others and you can't deal with problems that have been extant since time immemorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We need more funding....
Funding never alters the outcome.

Whether you spend $8 per student or $8 Million per student, the out-come is always the same.

It's an Economics issue of Inputs/Outputs.

Quote:
Imagine growing up in that environment and that's all you see everyday.
And government -- at all levels -- is largely responsible for creating those environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
And since when does it take courage to blame poor people for their own problems?
Oh, I'm sorry.

It's all my fault some puke spent $800 on tattoos instead of using it as a down-payment to buy undeveloped land as an asset to build wealth.

I should have taken $800 of my own money, bought the land, and then gifted it to the idiot...

...so he could sell it buy more tattoos.

Quote:
What's really funny about the nonsense you posted is that this matter is about what right-wingers hate: Morality - true morality - compassion for others.
Except your compassion does not extend to sentient beings in the womb.

Quote:
You can argue about the means, but you cannot escape the reality that full employment in living wage jobs is the imperative, the overriding objective of society itself,...
That is not the over-riding objective of society.

Quote:
If you think I am talking about raising the minimum wage, then you're replying to comments without reading them.
So, then, like your government, you believe that $4.55/hour is a living wage for some Americans.

Quote:
People are not able to engage in a discussion about cause and effect with any legitimacy until they convincingly grant and admit the moral imperatives.
Morality is subjective for the most part.

Quote:
Why don't you admit that I already am? Because you don't know me,...
Yes, we do know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
All public schools are not failing,....
The why are you not in the 5th Level Economy?

20% of your GDP should be from R&D....but it isn't, because your school system sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
avoided the important part of my prior post (post 72).

Go spend 5 years with a group like RIF, 5 years at Habitat for Humanity, that is much harder than implying others should pay more.
No doubt.

You think Mr. Morality would actually descend from his Ivory White Tower and lend a hand?

Reality™ is too hard for some people....

Mircea

Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Imagine growing up in that environment and that's all you see everyday. Imagine seeing someone get shot at point blank and having to go to school the next day. Imagine being threatened by the gangs that you resisted and then getting harassed by the people who are supposed to be protecting you (Police).

There's so many issues in some of our cities that its amazing that as many kids do survive their upbringing.
Yeah, and you can thank democratic policies that encourage single parent households, poverty, welfare, dependancy etc for most of the problems you just listed.

Democratic solution..

LETS DO MORE..

Those problems dont exist in towns where JOBS are because people take pride in their work and their community. They bring home a check, they buy their house that they take care of, they raise their children and show them that working hard, will allow success.

Once again, everythign the Democrats suggest is wrong about america..

Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Because taking care of the most vulnerable in our society is more important than right-wingers being able to afford that new game console for their children.
Not sure what you were responding to, but my question of why was about why would you be surprised about people preferring to have a situation where people were being hired rather than a higher imposed minimum wage. My response was pointing out that your surprise is due to a lack of understanding.

Quote:
You've got it backwards: You can argue about the means, but you cannot escape the reality that full employment in living wage jobs is the imperative, the overriding objective of society itself, and that every day that objective isn't met because of some selfish tactic imposed, or slimy excuse pushed, by right-wingers is another day of injustice.
The imperative? It's a great aspiration. Anyway, you completely missed my explanation of the reasons, trying to help your surprise, and went to the morals as you see them. My primary goal, though it may upset you, is to take care of myself and my family. After that, I'm happy to help others. If I make a decision to hire someone, it's because the business conditions are such that it makes it a good move. That helps my family and the person I hire. If doing so would not be helpful, it makes no sense to do it. My business is not here as a social program. You're misunderstanding of how things work or why decisions are made may work in the utopian world but businesses close when the hire unneccessarily. That may be good to you because we would all go down together.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
People are not able to engage in a discussion about cause and effect with any legitimacy until they convincingly grant and admit the moral imperatives. As long as someone operates from a place where their own personal comfort and luxury is more important than someone else's life and health, there isn't a discussion going on but rather just excuses and rationalizations being spewed by such folks in response to repudiation of what they support. .
If you don't address the cause and effect, then the attempts to reach your moral imperative will fail which is the exact point of the column. Please change your screen name to ExhibitA.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Income inequality among childless burger flippers is not caused by insufficient wages?
Nope. Burger flipping is not a skilled position and a high school drop out can and is qualified to do the job. If one chooses to be a burger flipper for life, then they also choose to make the lowest wages allowable as that's what the job calls for.

Want to make more money? Strive to obtain a skill and then you will be paid for your skill.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, and you can thank democratic policies that encourage single parent households, poverty, welfare, dependancy etc for most of the problems you just listed.

Democratic solution..

LETS DO MORE..

Those problems dont exist in towns where JOBS are because people take pride in their work and their community. They bring home a check, they buy their house that they take care of, they raise their children and show them that working hard, will allow success.

Once again, everythign the Democrats suggest is wrong about america..
I believe it was Reagan who declared the War on Drugs. It was also Reagan who came up with trickle down Economics.

But its a wash, if you believe YOUR party has gotten it right all these years your insane. I don't do partisanship.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Nope. Burger flipping is not a skilled position and a high school drop out can and is qualified to do the job. If one chooses to be a burger flipper for life, then they also choose to make the lowest wages allowable as that's what the job calls for.

Want to make more money? Strive to obtain a skill and then you will be paid for your skill.
Somewhat...

There has to be a job out there for you to take and currently there's more supply than demand. Its tough for many to find meaningful employment. I honestly don't believe there are enough jobs out there to employ our population.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I believe it was Reagan who declared the War on Drugs. It was also Reagan who came up with trickle down Economics.

But its a wash, if you believe YOUR party has gotten it right all these years your insane. I don't do partisanship.
Neither the war on drugs, nor trickle down economics is responsible for more people living on welfare, or doing drugs.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Neither the war on drugs, nor trickle down economics is responsible for more people living on welfare, or doing drugs.
Wha wha what??

Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Somewhat...

There has to be a job out there for you to take and currently there's more supply than demand. Its tough for many to find meaningful employment. I honestly don't believe there are enough jobs out there to employ our population.
Good jobs that are available now require skills training and or education beyond high school. Freemkt is always talking about how the burger flipper pay needs to be higher so he can afford to buy a house, etc.

The fact is that the skill of that job doesn't justify higher pay. If Freemkt would like to buy a house one day, he or she will need to learn a trade or skill that demands a higher wage. Fast food isn't going to do that unless he or she decides to go into a management program either through the company or get educated in management in college.

It's just not a job that will or should ever command high wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies