Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I had to take a low paying job for a little bit after my divorce.. and I didn't care about the company.. I punched in, did what I had to do to get through the day, and couldn't wait to get home.... they didn't pay me enough to care.
Do you think that maybe the part in blue might have something to do with the part in red?

You don't get the pay of a go-getter until you demonstrate that you actually are one. Everyone starts at the bottom - despite what decades of helicopter parenting and trophies for losers have convinced people of.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Yes it is.. and it should be. You ever been to a Steel Mill?

Damn shame people wanted to make a decent living while building this country up.
So once again..

How does incentivizing businesses to move overseas, help build the country up? How does reducing jobs, help people make a decent living.

I want an answer, rather than talking points..

Saying companies already moved overseas isnt the discussion its the ones left

Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you believe that's true, then bring it up with your elected representatives. You have no right to chastise people for doing whatever they can to reduce their tax burden, as long as it's within the limits of the law. You do the exact same thing, don't you?
No, I can't turn my earned income into capital gains to make their income be taxed at a lower rate and it makes it easier for them to claim that they took a loss and not be taxed at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I started them at $15/hour... and primarily because I know how hard the job is... as I've done it.....

It's not somehting htat is hard to master, per say. Of course, if I find that the person doesn't do what they are supposed to, etc.. they are out. No problem.. I easily can find someone willing to work the job because its' paying that much. But so far, my people have been excellent and to the point where I no longer have to tell them what to do.. they know what to do. And they have friends that want to work with me.

You pay good, you get good people.. AND you give good service. Your company is only as good as the employee that greets them or does the job. Case in point, I had one of my people make a mistake that , although the review overall was good, the mistake was pointed out in that review. And no, I didn't fire that person.. it wasn't major and I'm sure they woudln't do it again.. it was completely unintentional. Kind of an innocent mistake - but she should have used her brain a little bit.

what many here don't realize is that there is NO motivation to be a "good" employee or to care about the company or business you are working for when that work still leaves you poor and dependent on government. There's no pride, there's no motivation to do well and there's only resentment when you're given such low wages. Then people wonder why the check out clerk is so rude or could give two hoots about the service he/she was providing at these minimum wage jobs..

I had to take a low paying job for a little bit after my divorce.. and I didn't care about the company.. I punched in, did what I had to do to get through the day, and couldn't wait to get home.... they didn't pay me enough to care.
So if they paid you $15 an hou at this "low paying job", which is the "new" minimum wage, do you think you'd suddenly start to care?

Doubt it..

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I can't turn my earned income into capital gains to make their income be taxed at a lower rate and it makes it easier for them to claim that they took a loss and not be taxed at all.
yes you can.. you choose not to because you want disposal income..

Thtas YOUR CHOICE..

if you owned a "real" business, you wouldnt say such stupd things..

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
isnt it sad that so many people want to vote away the taking of other peoples money?

So what you're saying is that when minimum wages were increased, the bottom seen almost no growth in income while those on the top seen huge increases..
NO.. that is what YOU are saying.

The rate didn't increase from 2009 to 2012.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Yes, I started them at $15/hour... and primarily because I know how hard the job is... as I've done it.....
So if the min wage burger flippers get their way and get $15/hour ($8 bump) are you going to pay your workers $23/hour because the work you provide is harder than flipping burgers ?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So once again..

How does incentivizing businesses to move overseas, help build the country up? How does reducing jobs, help people make a decent living.

I want an answer, rather than talking points..

Saying companies already moved overseas isnt the discussion its the ones left
I'm still waiting for you to show that minimum wage increases result in less jobs.

You keep saying jobs will move overseas if we increase the rate but you have yet to show proof.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You don't get the pay of a go-getter until you demonstrate that you actually are one. Everyone starts at the bottom - despite what decades of helicopter parenting and trophies for losers have convinced people of.
Bingo.

Which is why my industry is chock full of contract-to-hire opportunities. Companies taking a hedged risk on someone, without all the HR headaches of extending a full time offer up front. Prove you're a go getter and voila, you go from CTH to FTE. Only had one friend ever who failed to get FTE from a CTH gig, and his work ethic and go getter attitude is sorely lacking, and I say that as a friend of his.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
NO.. that is what YOU are saying.

The rate didn't increase from 2009 to 2012.
And yet it did increase multiple times in 2008 and people seen their incomes fall.. median incomes fell 3.6% on average, despite minimum wage increases

p.s. July 2009 minimum wage increase took effect..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies