Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,985,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Luckily, practicality trumps ideology. Pnw is all ideology and no practicality. His ideas work in theory,but they do not work in practice.
What I advocate works in practice... Your arguments are all theoretical and ideological.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, none of them make sense. Both are definitive examples of sheer insanity.
Down to flat statements now?

Quote:
Insurance is a for-profit financial service.
Yes. That's part of the problem.

14,292 posts, read 9,700,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look, its simple.

Before the ACA, we had a system set up where people could walk into an ER with the flu, and get treated, at obscene cost for no good reason. All because they had no insurance to see a family doctor, that runs 25% the cost of the ER visit.

We had medicaid, but it has holes. We have medicare, but thats for the elderly.

So you either

a) continue the ER visits, which costs tax payers more money through tax write offs

or

b) pay for them someway.

We went with B. We now mandated that everyone buy some form of insurance for themselves, so they can visit the family doctor.

I don't like a government mandate on buying anything, so I have long said that we need a limited single payer system. Meaning we define what is "essential" medical care. That single payer system takes care of that essential care. Even throw in a waiting list. IF you don't like waiting lists, or only receiving essential care, then you can buy supplemental insurance for whatever you want, and that will speed up your waits.

The other option is to let people go without care, at all. Deal with your broken arm, your flu, your cancer by yourself.
I agree that the ER visits were off-loaded onto the paying customers.

However, lots of people have seen their insurance premium payments become bloated, going up anywhere from 25%-300%. Then add to that, all the news taxpayer expense for the tens of millions who now qualify for free taxpayer subsidies for their bloated health insurance premiums. I think we are back to square one with the cost of health care being off-loaded onto the paying customers.

18,782 posts, read 17,400,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
Are you trying to make an argument, or just another infantile rant that falls under logical fallacies?
Neither. I just asked several questions, which you are apparently unable to answer. Would you advocate a gov't takeover of the food and shoe industries?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's not discretionary spending. If your appendix is about to burst, you're not in a position to do comparison shopping. You just need that s.cker out, now.
So?

I don't subscribe to your nonsensical hypotheticals.

A laproscopic appendectomy can be had for less than $10K.

Again, if you can afford Obamacare insurance premiums, you can afford your own health care WITHOUT Obamacare policies AND you'd be better off without it.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What I advocate works in practice... Your arguments are all theoretical and ideological.
You're putting forward the pre-ACA US medical system as something that "works in practice"? Wow.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Down to flat statements now?

Yes. That's part of the problem.
There is no such thing as "non profit insurance".

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 142,257 times
Good. I hope it does.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:47 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,678,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think Obamacare was designed to fail, I just think it was the best law that was able to be enacted at the time because of people like Joe Lieberman. That said, no liberal will deny that single payer is our ultimate goal. This is a conservative conspiracy theory that is actually true and not something I even think liberals have been trying to hide.
The ultimate goal of Obamacare is communism. This law opens up everybody to government control to the basics of life, health and your bank account.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,313,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, if that route is taken, then we should repeal the emergency care act that Reagan signed into law.

Release hospitals from the liability of caring for those who can not pay.
And of course most Americans would never support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies