Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,963,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm sorry, insurance is not a charity. It's a financial service YOU PAY FOR.

Why should financial services be designed to lose money for those providing the service?
Which is why healthcare should never be designed around a for-profit financial industry. Homes and cars are one thing, your body is different. You can't go out and pick any body you'd like to inhabit or get a new one, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,198 times
Quote:
How could that be? Doing nothing was a far better option, in all ways.
It is easy to look back now and say the US had a great health care system before, but it is just not true. Besides, a huge part of Obama's platform was to reform the system. The US was spending far too much on health care to cover far too few people, with costs spiraling out of control.

Will Obamacare fix that? I do not believe that it will. But it delivered enough things to enough people that when the choice between single payer and going back to how things were is presented to voters, I believe they will choose single payer.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1, just saying its not, doesn't mean it isn't simple. Prove it
You made the assertion. YOU prove what you asserted is true.

Quote:
2. No, the insurance is quite cheap as compared to a visit to the family doctor when you have an illness. Well checks are cheap. Ask any parent of a 2 year old how expensive the freaking flu is nowadays.
For my wife and I, insurance with a 6000 deductible is about 870 / mo. I can visit a family doctor twice a week, every week, and still cost less than the premiums alone... AND EVEN IF I BUY THEM it will take 8 months before the insurance contributes a single dime.

So: Twice weekly visits to my primary physician - 85 / ea, X 52 weeks X 2 times a week.. 8840

Insurance: 870 X 12 = 10440. It will pay roughly 2 k against the doctor's bills. So...

Insurance + doctor = 17,200. Doctor W/no insurance = 8840. You can get AT LEAST a 15% discount for cash payments... so... Skip the insurance, pay 7500 to the doctor AND PUT $10,000 in the bank. Do that for the next 15 years.

Quote:
Insurance pays for healthcare services, because the rates of the service are to high for most individuals to shoulder the burden.
LOL!!!!!!!!

You do realize that insurance premiums = ALL COSTS PAID OUT + administration + profit margins.

So, insurance RAISES the cost, not decrease it.

Quote:
And I don't have an obamacare plan, mine is employer based. And it pays, after the copay is reached, quite nicely for doctors visits.
So what you're saying is you have no idea what you pay out ( it's paid from what you earn before your paycheck is calculated) but you like it that way. Ignorant and happy because it's "convenient".

As a consumer, you flunk home economics 100.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, insurance is not a charity. It's a financial service YOU PAY FOR.

Why should financial services be designed to lose money for those providing the service?
So - "doing nothing was a far better option" is a bit dependent on one's perspective, perhaps? I know it's a heretical thought, but perhaps there's something to be said for organizing healthcare financing around the idea of getting care to those who are sick, rather than providing a better bottom line to insurers.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It is easy to look back now and say the US had a great health care system before, but it is just not true. Besides, a huge part of Obama's platform was to reform the system. The US was spending far too much on health care to cover far too few people, with costs spiraling out of control.

Will Obamacare fix that? I do not believe that it will. But it delivered enough things to enough people that when the choice between single payer and going back to how things were is presented to voters, I believe they will choose single payer.
So, what you hope, is that people will believe the lies.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - "doing nothing was a far better option" is a bit dependent on one's perspective, perhaps? I know it's a heretical thought, but perhaps there's something to be said for organizing healthcare financing around the idea of getting care to those who are sick, rather than providing a better bottom line to insurers.
No, it's not.

One can make objective analysis... and by EVERY objective analysis, nothing good was done.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Insurance + doctor = 17,200. Doctor W/no insurance = 8840. You can get AT LEAST a 15% discount for cash payments... so... Skip the insurance, pay 7500 to the doctor AND PUT $10,000 in the bank. Do that for the next 15 years.
Also: Do not get seriously sick during those 15 years. Oh, and as you're in no position to negotiate, prepare to pay way more than the insurance companies when you need treatment.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

One can make objective analysis... and by EVERY objective analysis, nothing good was done.
I see. People with pre-existing conditions just aren't objective enough.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is why healthcare should never be designed around a for-profit financial industry. Homes and cars are one thing, your body is different. You can't go out and pick any body you'd like to inhabit or get a new one, can you?
So what you're saying is that you believe that agencies with no motive to economize will be cheaper than competition.

Can you provide me with any evidence to suggest such a preposterous idea has even the slightest merit?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Also: Do not get seriously sick during those 15 years. Oh, and as you're in no position to negotiate, prepare to pay way more than the insurance companies when you need treatment.
You're still so stuck on trying to advance your rhetoric that you failed to notice how immensely stupid your comments are.

Here's a clue for you:

If you get any form of serious cancer: You have single digit percentage chances of living more than 10 years. If you spend a fortune... Your chances change by less than 2 percent.

Other than blowing hundreds of thousands on present cancer treatment (which is mostly useless) the chance of needing to visit your doctor bi-weekly for 15 years is also negligible.

SO, in reality, you can sock away about 15,000 a year.

And that's enough to deal with most things that can happen to you. Guess what? If I get cancer, I don't want to suffer through chemo and radiation and all that. It reduces my desire to "invest" in an insurance company to very small.

But, hey... You're free to put your priorities where you want them. Perhaps you should learn to be civilized enough to do the same for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies