Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times

Advertisements

WAAAAHHHHH!!!!

He has more money than me! NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The more amazing part is there is alot of poor white trash who would yell out in agreement with him.

Such is the power of propaganda on the uneducated.
The power of propaganda depends on people being uneducated and jealousy of others. Then for the liberal elite it must be for a good cause such as global warming. They already got theirs so what do they care about what other people make, they moved onto saving the world.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,589,326 times
Kevin O'Leary is the Canadian version of Donald Trump. A real piece of work to be sure. He's as dumb as a fence post and somehow thinks that because he has more money than others, it makes him special in some undefined way.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. OK one more time.

Wealth inequality GOOD

extreme wealth inequality BAD

What are your ideas to fix this that 1. will work, and 2. aren't redistributive.

Failing that-how would you redistribute?

Me I can think of a LOT of ways. -subsidize all college loans at a rate set to match inflation, set a minimum income, provide free birth control, and many many other ideas.

All I hear from you is insults directed at me. As usual..the party of NO, in this case the party of NO ideas.
Knowledge is power and the less knowledge and understanding you have the more power they have over you because they can easily convince you to believe things that are not true by using moral and emotional language (playing on your emotions). The more depended you are on them the easier it is to get you to comply.

LOL, Subsidize all collage loans? ---> The cost of education skyrocketed.. did you notice. The same thing happened with the housing market, make it too easy to get a mortgage and it drives the price up.

I don't believe in redistribution, that's thievery.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Knowledge is power and the less knowledge and understanding you have the more power they have over you because they can easily convince you to believe things that are not true by using moral and emotional language (playing on your emotions). The more depended you are on them the easier it is to get you to comply.

LOL, Subsidize all collage loans? ---> The cost of education skyrocketed.. did you notice. The same thing happened with the housing market, make it too easy to get a mortgage and it drives the price up.

I don't believe in redistribution, that's thievery.
So again..no ideas?

I mean really I think thats the bottom line of the issue. Unless you believe that the vast majority of the wealth being owned by a small (while I refer to the 1% really its more like the .1%) portion of us being somehow good. The idea that a plutocracy is preferable. And hey-maybe it is. *I* don't think so though.

Actually whats interesting is that the cost of college has gone up at the same time that subsidizing of state colleges has gone down. We've entered into the idea that its a profit making thing-to subsidize education via loans.

And ahhh thats thievery? Really? You're one of the "taxes are theft" folks? Or just taxes are theft when redistributed?

Theres some extremes I could go down here-much as you accuse me, but I will avoid them as I'm actually trying to foster conversation on the topic.

Kinda funny how you go from knowledge is power, to OMG we cant subsidize college. That strikes some irony for me.

So whats it going to be? Plutocracy, theft for redistribution, or better idea?

PS-also in a completely funny ironic way...you misspelled college.

Last edited by greywar; 01-22-2014 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: PS added

Old 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,407,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
By the way you think, since you are in the top 20% someone who is in the bottom 5% needs to take what you have.

And yes, you WILL BE HARMED because for government, just like it is human nature for anyone it will NEVER be enough. If you make $80k a year, you will always want to make $100k next year. And you think the government thinks different? They will always see the American people as a piggy bank. And you will be next, believe me.
I don't disagree with everything you say in fact I agree with some of it. But when it comes to saying if one makes $80k a year they will naturally want to make $100k a year well not always true. Not always true if one considers what one might have to sacrifice to make more money.

For instance one could reach for top management in a company maybe even vice prez if not CEO. But what would one might have to sacrifice to achieve that? Probably time most of all. Living to work, 7 days a week, sacrifice family and a social life all for the dream of more money? Looking back later in life will it be fulfilling to say I made lots of money that is my life achievement?

Seems to me if one is going to sacrifice family, social life, and many of the things that actually equate into having a rich life it should be for a passion and goal other than just money which while money is needed and nice a rich person without having actually lived life is really a poor soul. I can understand a person like Einstein or a musician or designer or scientist or artist that is driven by the need to know to make, to express but I can't understand while its their choice , the person who believes the meaning of life is to be as monetarily rich as can be because the old saying is true money doesn't buy love and it doesn't buy happiness.

I really don't care how rich someone is and I am not envious if they are billionaire or so good for them but for others that believe in balance in life between having to make money and personal time for life those people should be able to live a decent balanced life within their means but more and more that is not the case and while government is the problem often one can't dismiss the fact that business or corporation seek to exploit also for instance the fact that the hospital and health care industry prefer to not have to compete and use (bribe) government to enact laws to protect them from having to compete in a real open market. Health being the thing that even the ordinary person shouldn't have to sell their life away to pay for. Those rich people who look to fix prices do hurt and step on others to gain more vastly wealth.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Nearly everyone thinks it's great since there are very few demanding that the government stop what is causing most of the inequality.

I think it sucks.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,805 times
Quote:
If getting rich was a great motivator, then the rising inequality levels would mean we would have a incredible lower and middle class.

Heres a clue-its not working that way.

People that work really freaking hard? Most of them make very little in pay.
Define "work really freaking hard" for me.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Wow. Whats really funny is, the extremist views of here compared to say.....the majority.
Explain it.

Quote:
class envy? Hmm...not as much as one might suspect. I see the growing wealth inequality as a major problem not from envy as some here accuse me of (although Im self honest enough to admit there is a smidgen of it when I know how little of that vast wealth is "earned"). But because I know it makes for a less efficient economy. In point of fact extreme wealth inequality causes a economy to be less efficient at creating wealth.
How's that work? Explain the mechanism, as in, provide concrete linkage by actual mechanisms.

Quote:
Intellectual property is something created by a society to do two things-1 allow a individual to benefit from the fruit of his idea. (nice calling it labor)....and 2...to encourage others to build on it. Extreme copyright laws are just as damaging as extreme inequality. Current copyright-life+70 years. it used to be a fraction of that.
What's extreme about owning something?

Quote:
Why is this important? Because our rate of change is accelerating at the same time we are expanding copyright length we have a massive distortion between the public good and the benefit to the creator.
There is no such thing as "public good". These things are created to benefit the creator.

Quote:
I have no idea what a "think progress" is so I suspect im not a sycophant of it. but who knows.
LOL!!!! You know, thinkprogress, the source of all your wildly idiotic radical leftism.

Quote:
Obviously you are unaware that taxes as a % of GDP are at a low, in fact you've somehow bought into the idea that our taxes per person are at a all time high. They're not.
They are too high.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You have ZERO idea about who or what I am. And you are wildly mistaken.

Your personal attacks do not add to a discussion.
We do know what you say.

And unless you're now going to argue that you don't mean what you say, well, he was absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies