Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 06:07 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,883,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not only that, 'diversity' will wind up killing the American dream. As my husband and I were chatting in our pool today, he said he could never achieve what he has in today's environment. The white male will not get the job anymore. The black person will get it, even if they aren't qualified.
Five times more likely, a white woman will get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 06:22 PM

73,152 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Not only that, 'diversity' will wind up killing the American dream. As my husband and I were chatting in our pool today, he said he could never achieve what he has in today's environment. The white male will not get the job anymore. The black person will get it, even if they aren't qualified.
I disagree with your husband. I am a Black male and I had to struggle to get the job that I have. The environment I currently work in, it's predominantly White males, many of them of the conservative slant. I disagree with your husband because of what I've experienced and dealt with. If a Black person is so likely to get the job, then out of everyone in my cohort, why was it that me and another Black person had to wait the longest to get jobs after graduating from college? Why is it that even with a connection I had, I didn't get the job? By the way, the other Black person in my cohort, he currently works in sales and never got a job in his field. I have a job in my field, but it was an uphill battle. I watched other people who graduated with me get the jobs they wanted, while I had to work twice has hard. Why is that?

Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Five times more likely, a white woman will get it.
Plenty of White women seem to get jobs easily.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:30 PM

The first person I remember ever correcting a Black kid's grammar, was a Black teacher. I remember because I was in the 4th grade and I remember thinking "he's right. You aren't suppose to talk like that".

I don't say this to put myself on any pedestal. It's just something I thought about as a kid. Around 4th or 5th grade I remember wondering "why do I talk so much differently from the other Black kids"? It was a question I was afraid to ask anyone, even my father and mother. And they'd have the answers.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:34 PM

44 posts, read 21,461 times
I can drive all crazy. I first learned to speak my mother and father's NYese. However as I got a few years into school it went to hell. I badly stuttered and could not pronounce L words. Came out W. I was however saved by Sister Mary de Chantel who was the principal of St. George elementary school. She was a trained speech therapist and decided to take an interest in my case. It was also influenced by the fact I was the smartest kid in the school and there was an informal contest between the nuns running the various schools as to who could produce the smartest kids.

She pretty well straightened me out though for years I used small instead of little and so on. Even now 70 years later I still will stutter if I talk to someone who does. And I will always inform a stutterer that I am one also and not making fun of them.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:52 PM

10,028 posts, read 8,691,425 times
My English classes I did prefer
I did not stutter, I did not slur
One class I got a D
That teacher hated me
Because I talked more better than her.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:03 PM

27,691 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briskwheel View Post
This is a very tricky scenario. I work with several well educated African Americans and they all say "axe" instead of "ask" and "Po-lease" instead of "police". They say it this way because that's how their parents or whoever raised them pronounced the word. It's not my job to correct them.
There are no educated African Americans who talk like that in front of white people.

At least not in any company or firm where I have worked.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:07 PM

28,976 posts, read 30,361,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I graduated from high school in the 70's, and my hometown is one of the most affluent SF Bay Area suburbs. One of my classmates and neighbors, who had moved into our town when we were in second grade, was Asian, and he became best friends with a Jewish guy I had known since preschool. Among other things, they had basketball in common. Bother were on the varsity basketball team. Their pet names for each other were racial/ethnic epithets. No one cared. These weren't unintelligent guys either. After high school, both of them went on, as I did, to 'public ivies'.
yeah, things have really changed, people fear laughing at themselves...it's all about, "omg, you insulted me"....so what? If your that thin skinned your never going to make it in the world....

Gosh, people used to call me a ****, or Indian, and I didn't care, I laughed right along with them....we all did....I'm a boomer, and graduated in 67, sure was a different world, we had fun, we laughed, and when someone older made a suggestion, we didn't get all insulted and call them names...we listened, we learned....

Old 06-07-2022, 07:23 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is why blacks will always be lower class citizens in the US.

They refuse to assimilate to western culture and value education, then scream "racism" when they are unable to achieve anything in society!

By laebling everything that could potentially normalize and help assimilate blacks as "racist", they are sealing their own fate.

Given the ever increasing accusations of "racism" and demands for outrageous, superlative citizen status, it may be time to just give black America 4-5 states of their own and let them devolve into a third world, African nation.
Wow.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:27 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,630,832 times
Quote:

You agree with him on that ?

Really ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies