Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should medical marijuana be legal?
Yes, absolutely! 195 77.38%
Only if it's for medical conditions. 27 10.71%
I'm not sure. 5 1.98%
No 25 9.92%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There is some hyperbole. Decriminalization is a good compromise. If you can afford weed, you can afford the fine. If you can't afford the fine, you need to be thinking of more important things than getting high.

Finn is right, we need to try to reduce issues with alcohol rather than giving in and legalizing more drugs. It's strange reasoning, adding more problems on top of the mistakes we already made, just to be "fair" to the popular drug of choice. It's kind of a desperate argument.
Except that many "hard drugs" like salvia and shrooms and MDBD aren't problems and don't develop addictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
There is some hyperbole. Decriminalization is a good compromise. If you can afford weed, you can afford the fine. If you can't afford the fine, you need to be thinking of more important things than getting high.

Finn is right, we need to try to reduce issues with alcohol rather than giving in and legalizing more drugs. It's strange reasoning, adding more problems on top of the mistakes we already made, just to be "fair" to the popular drug of choice. It's kind of a desperate argument.
No, it is not a good compromise. A good compromise is that you stop using violent force to dictate what I put in my own body. You simply have no right to my body and no right to tell me what to do with my body. There should be no fine for putting something in my body, period. It is funny that you think it is fine for them to smoke as long as they pay a pittance to society... my god you are high on yourself. (Especially when a majority of society disagrees with you...)

Nobody is "giving in" lol, they are fighting directly against you and your authoritarian ilk. It is hilarious that you think in the land of the free that it is ok to force people into having one choice of intoxicant, get over yourself and down from your high horse.

This isn't called "The land of the strictly regulated to ensure your safety" or "The home of the scared." You also like to forget prohibition causes MORE violence on peaceful people than the drugs themselves do...

(It is not hyperbole to say that government force is violence, everything government does is backed up by the threat of violence.)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
No, it is not a good compromise. A good compromise is that you stop using violent force to dictate what I put in my own body. You simply have no right to my body and no right to tell me what to do with my body. There should be no fine for putting something in my body, period. It is funny that you think it is fine for them to smoke as long as they pay a pittance to society... my god you are high on yourself. (Especially when a majority of society disagrees with you...)

Nobody is "giving in" lol, they are fighting directly against you and your authoritarian ilk. It is hilarious that you think in the land of the free that it is ok to force people into having one choice of intoxicant, get over yourself and down from your high horse.

This isn't called "The land of the strictly regulated to ensure your safety" or "The home of the scared." You also like to forget prohibition causes MORE violence on peaceful people than the drugs themselves do...

(It is not hyperbole to say that government force is violence, everything government does is backed up by the threat of violence.)

Good post! And you are correct. There should not and will not be a compromise with any authoritarian types who feel they can dictate to myself or others what we can and cannot consume. Again, if my actions cause harm to another, then that is one thing! I will accept the consequences for my negative actions! But since my actions such as perhaps smoking a doobie in the privacy of my own home are harming nobody else, then leave me the f*** alone!!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Good post! And you are correct. There should not and will not be a compromise with any authoritarian types who feel they can dictate to myself or others what we can and cannot consume. Again, if my actions cause harm to another, then that is one thing! I will accept the consequences for my negative actions! But since my actions such as perhaps smoking a doobie in the privacy of my own home are harming nobody else, then leave me the f*** alone!!!!
ANARCHY!!! dude.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
ANARCHY!!! dude.

No it's called freedom of the individual. A government has no right to dictate what I consume, and use force or fines as a threat for doing so.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

I apparently can't rep you again yet. But this post is so nice I want to give it a big warm hug. I'm just saying.

I have yet to see a single argument on behalf of MJ prohibition that can't be countered with a more logical and sensible argument from the other side of the issue. Not. A. One. And potheads are supposed to be stupid...

The main point that people need to grasp is that there was already a large population of people using it illegally...and that once it becomes legal, that population really doesn't change that much. There were already people driving stoned and doing whatever you're so scared is going to suddenly happen...it's already been happening. And the many people who didn't smoke before probably aren't gonna just up and start now. I didn't. I wasn't a non-pot-smoker because Uncle Sam says it's naughty. I just simply didn't want to. And here in Colorado, no one is trying to make me. There is no temptation. A policy that simply stops imprisoning people (turning them into REAL criminals) does not mean that our government is telling people they SHOULD do it. There are plenty of perfectly legal things I don't feel any need to do. I don't drink, either. I've never been drunk in my life. I don't even like being around drunk people, they make me uncomfortable. But that doesn't mean THERE SHOULD BE A LAW! Because I don't like it!! Nope.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
No it's called freedom of the individual. A government has no right to dictate what I consume, and use force or fines as a threat for doing so.
If your "freedom" to use drugs results in loss of freedoms of the majority, then your habits will have to take a back seat. In Holland the legalization of cannabis resulted in massive increase in crime, and the whole society was impacted in a nagative way.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If your "freedom" to use drugs results in loss of freedoms of the majority, then your habits will have to take a back seat. In Holland the legalization of cannabis resulted in massive increase in crime, and the whole society was impacted in a nagative way.

Finn! I personally don't give a flying f*** about Holland! And quite frankly I find it to be more propaganda! Anyway...You still haven't explained how me smoking a doobie in my own home (not out joyriding, or operating heavy machinery) is harming you or anyone else, or is causing anyone else to lose their freedom!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Finn! I personally don't give a flying f*** about Holland! And quite frankly I find it to be more propaganda! Anyway...You still haven't explained how me smoking a doobie in my own home (not out joyriding, or operating heavy machinery) is harming you or anyone else, or is causing anyone else to lose their freedom!
If you studied the countries who have gone this path before, you would understand that drug use affects the nation as whole. It attracts crime. In Holland, the number of crime familes jumped from 2 to over 90 in a matter of years right after the legalization. Robberies jumped some 60%. But then again, you already know this because I gave you the statistics already.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you studied the countries who have gone this path before, you would understand that drug use affects the nation as whole. It attracts crime. In Holland, the number of crime familes jumped from 2 to over 90 in a matter of years right after the legalization. Robberies jumped some 60%. But then again, you already know this because I gave you the statistics already.

Answer the question Finn. How is me smoking the occasional doobie in the privacy of my own home taking away yours or anyone elses freedom, or causing you harm? Here is a little hint.... IT'S NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies