Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Anything form birth control failing, divorce, sickness, unemployment, etc. Lots of things can go wrong.
Birth control failing is not things to wrong. Who dosnt know birth control may fail?

Majority of the unemployment is not things to wrong.

How does divorce affect someone financially? Before someone get married, they never thought about the possibility of divorce given the divorce rate is over 50%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Birth control failing is not things to wrong.

Majority of the unemployment is not things to wrong.

How does divorce affect someone financially? Before someone get married, they never thought about the possibility of divorce given the divorce rate is over 50%?
Oh, good grief!
Yes, those are examples of things going wrong.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief!
Yes, those are examples of things going wrong.
Those things are within your control. I can understand if it's sickness.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Those things are within your control. I can understand if it's sickness.
It must be nice to live in your utopia, where everyone has a million dollars in the bank, a guaranteed job for life, where nothing bad ever happens and you ride a unicorn to work every day.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
I know. Responsibility is such a dirty word!!! We should pass a law to ban the word!!!
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Did you not read a word of that posters story? Did you not see that she was married when she got pregnant? Why are you refusing to acknowledge that?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Did you not read a word of that posters story? Did you not see that she was married when she got pregnant? Why are you refusing to acknowledge that?
? That doesnt change a thing.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
It must be nice to live in your utopia, where everyone has a million dollars in the bank, a guaranteed job for life, where nothing bad ever happens and you ride a unicorn to work every day.
Explain to me how please. I am willing to listen.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Regarldess of what the stats say, the bottom line still is that women still earn far less than men in the working world. Many work in jobs that don't pay more than $30K or so - think adminstrative, etc. Many women don't go into being a single mother with the intent of that. I didn't. After my divorce I fell into poverty and am clawing my way OUT of it ( I was raised in avery nice middle income family with a professional father and a mother that worked as a secretary /bank teller when we were all old enough to watch ourselves after school).

Being a single mother - a single parent, is difficult. Raising a child on only 1 salary, and especially at wages that are stagnating is not easy at all. If I weren't with who I am with right now, I may be on food stamps and LIHEAP to make ends meet for me and my son (although my intent would be to work hard at my business to lift myself OFF that need).. but still.. after my divorce I fell into exactly that.. poverty. I didn't have my child till I was 32 and i was married for three years.. but the end of the marriage knocked me right down into poverty..

And thanks to programs out there, I survived it AND got hte funds I needed to go back to school to earn my college degree.. becuase WITHOUT a degree you will NEVER earn enough as a single individual to care ofr yourself and raise one child, never mind 2 or possibly 3.

so.. before you knock the stats.. which vary depending on samples taken.. and before you start calling all single mothers welfare mooching queens.. you better know what you are talking about. It's easy to judget when you haven't walked in someone else's shoes. I , for one, grew up in a very comfortable middle income family with a father that was an engineer and a mom that worked as a bank teller/secretary once I , her oldest, was old enough to supervise myself and my brothers a lone for while, but had my mom had to go it alone, we would have been poor because raising kids on one income is very difficult.
Does your child have a father that pays child support?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

577 posts, read 436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Does your child have a father that pays child support?
Hi...Yes, I do and he does..

I'm not on welfare, by the way..

And a monthly check from the "dad" isn't enough.. Judges must factor in his household expenses , etc.. plus the mom's .. again.. two parents now living seperate mantaining two households is double the expense.

Imagine you and your wife or husband having the house you live in and a second home. Many that have second homes are far more wealthy....

I'm just saying that even with child support, raising a child alone is extremely difficult (It's well worth it, however).. and there are many that find they need the help that is available in order to do it. If it weren't there the child would be homeless and hungry.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Hi...Yes, I do and he does..

I'm not on welfare, by the way..

And a monthly check from the "dad" isn't enough.. Judges must factor in his household expenses , etc.. plus the mom's .. again.. two parents now living seperate mantaining two households is double the expense.

Imagine you and your wife or husband having the house you live in and a second home. Many that have second homes are far more wealthy....

I'm just saying that even with child support, raising a child alone is extremely difficult (It's well worth it, however).. and there are many that find they need the help that is available in order to do it. If it weren't there the child would be homeless and hungry.

I'm not judging you. I was asking because a lot of single parents have trouble getting support from the non-custodial parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies