Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
She had a child when she had no means to care for the child.
She was married when she had the kid. Now you're against married people having kids? When does the ridicule ever end for you people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
She was married when she had the kid. Now you're against married people having kids? When does the ridicule ever end for you people?
This is an ridiculous accusation! I can see reading comprehension is not your strength.

In no where I am against people having children regardless they are married or not; however, I am against people having children when they can't care for their children and stick them up to the taxpayers.

How about I have a baby and you pay for it?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I'm no different than you? Really? You are advocating stealing children from loving parents. When did I say such a thing?

My brother and I both grew up in households that for a time were under the poverty level. Yes, we were on medicaid during this time. And thank god we had it because my appendix burst during that time period. Kids tend to get sick a lot.

As a society we all have a vested interest in making sure the children of this country are nourished and have healthcare access. We all pay taxes for this and it is one of the greatest investments that our government does.

Ripping children away from loving parents just because they are poor is about the best way to absolutely destroy a child's life. You clearly don't have kids otherwise you wouldn't be saying this nonsense.
How about sending me some money so that I can raise my child? You guys never put money where your mouth is!

Why do you think it is OK to take other people's money by force so that you can raise your children???!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
You and you alone brought your children to this world when YOU know full well that you have no means to support their lives.
I believe the person you were responding to and her husband brought the child into the world while married, and had the means to support that child. Go back and re-read the thread; your reading comprehension skills are failing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
First off.. yes, indeed I've heard of contraception. As a matter of fact, if you bothered to read my posts you'll see that I said when I became single and fell into poverty, I went to Planned Parenthood to get access to birth control so that I didn't end up pregnant should I start having a relationship or engage with someone
Yet the conservatives want to destroy the very organizations that help low-income women gain access to birth control. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Even if a woman was NOT in poverty before having a child, then she and the father should have planned for that BEFORE they had sex.
Do you have access to some magic crystal ball that allows you to see the future? I bet you'd make a mint if you'd share it with the rest of the world, so we could all foresee if we're going to get sick, lose our jobs, get divorced or become widowed, lose our homes to fire or severe weather ... Wouldn't it be nice if we could plan for every disaster that may come down the pike? And wouldn't it even be nicer if we all had the financial means to do so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yes, I know that many poor are working poor, but also, that's the fault of many of the poor.
Because they have jobs? How does that work?

Quote:
Don't sit her and try to tell me that most, half, or all of these women were doing well and made all the right decisions, but just happened to "fall on hard times."
I'm sitting "her" to tell you that it does indeed happen; if it hasn't happened to you, consider yourself blessed. You can make all the right decisions and become ill or disabled and unable to work, because you can't control other people who may hit your car; you can't control whether your body will betray you or not (think of the joggers who die of heart attacks).

Quote:
getting fired because of not showing up on time is not.
Getting fired because you called in sick to stay home with a sick child is falling on hard times. Getting fired because you were too ill to come to work yourself is falling on hard times.

Quote:
How does divorce affect someone financially?
I don't know; how does having your income cut in half affect someone financially?

Quote:
Before someone get married, they never thought about the possibility of divorce given the divorce rate is over 50%?
If you're going into a marriage thinking about the possibility of divorce, you shouldn't be getting married in the first place. I've never met anyone who got married - even those who are now divorced - who didn't think their marriage would last until death do we part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I was asking because a lot of single parents have trouble getting support from the non-custodial parent.
That they do. But apparently, according to some of the people posting in this thread, women should plan for that possibility, too, before they have children.

Quote:
How do we judge who can or can't afford raising a child?
Hypocrisy is so unbecoming. You ask how to determine who can afford to have children, yet you insist that people should think twice about having kids just in case they get divorced, just in case they don't receive child support, just in case a tornado blows over their house, just in case the mailman slips on their walk, just in case they lose their jobs ... ? Do you really think you can have it both ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
But.. getting back to my example. Health insurance costs as much , if not more, than rent or a mortgage payment - bringing the cost of health insurance to the same costs as RENT!
Very true. I'm single, and pay more each month for health insurance than I do on my mortgage. Premiums for families are two and three times what I pay. Health care costs are an increasing financial burden on all households, but especially those with families - I don't see how they do it.

Quote:
Indeed, we all make choices and we all have to have consequences for those choices, but so many things are far out of any of our control and you just can't anticipate those things... Life has a way of making its own plans, regardless of the ones you made for yourself.
Exactly. Anyone who can't recognize that is severely delusional.

Quote:
She had a child when she had no means to care for the child.
You don't listen, do you?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,326 times
Quote:
How about sending me some money so that I can raise my child? You guys never put money where your mouth is!

Why do you think it is OK to take other people's money by force so that you can raise your children???!!!
As I stated! Children are the future of this country and we all have an interest in making sure they are cared for. That is why it IS OKAY to take money from all those in society to provide a safety net for their care.

And as for your first statement, you don't even have kids. Our government shouldn't be giving you a check just because you want to go eat out or something, whatever you do.

If you are poor then I do support the medicaid expansion that Obamacare provided us. Sorry if your state didn't expand it.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I believe the person you were responding to and her husband brought the child into the world while married, and had the means to support that child. Go back and re-read the thread; your reading comprehension skills are failing you.

Yet the conservatives want to destroy the very organizations that help low-income women gain access to birth control. Go figure.

Do you have access to some magic crystal ball that allows you to see the future? I bet you'd make a mint if you'd share it with the rest of the world, so we could all foresee if we're going to get sick, lose our jobs, get divorced or become widowed, lose our homes to fire or severe weather ... Wouldn't it be nice if we could plan for every disaster that may come down the pike? And wouldn't it even be nicer if we all had the financial means to do so?

Because they have jobs? How does that work?

I'm sitting "her" to tell you that it does indeed happen; if it hasn't happened to you, consider yourself blessed. You can make all the right decisions and become ill or disabled and unable to work, because you can't control other people who may hit your car; you can't control whether your body will betray you or not (think of the joggers who die of heart attacks).

Getting fired because you called in sick to stay home with a sick child is falling on hard times. Getting fired because you were too ill to come to work yourself is falling on hard times.

I don't know; how does having your income cut in half affect someone financially?

If you're going into a marriage thinking about the possibility of divorce, you shouldn't be getting married in the first place. I've never met anyone who got married - even those who are now divorced - who didn't think their marriage would last until death do we part.

That they do. But apparently, according to some of the people posting in this thread, women should plan for that possibility, too, before they have children.

Hypocrisy is so unbecoming. You ask how to determine who can afford to have children, yet you insist that people should think twice about having kids just in case they get divorced, just in case they don't receive child support, just in case a tornado blows over their house, just in case the mailman slips on their walk, just in case they lose their jobs ... ? Do you really think you can have it both ways?

Very true. I'm single, and pay more each month for health insurance than I do on my mortgage. Premiums for families are two and three times what I pay. Health care costs are an increasing financial burden on all households, but especially those with families - I don't see how they do it.

Exactly. Anyone who can't recognize that is severely delusional.

You don't listen, do you?
Still waiting for someone to explain to me how divorce would affect someone's ability to raise a child.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
This is an ridiculous accusation! I can see reading comprehension is not your strength.

In no where I am against people having children regardless they are married or not; however, I am against people having children when they can't care for their children and stick them up to the taxpayers.

How about I have a baby and you pay for it?
I'm okay with that. Chances are that the baby you produce will become a contributing tax payer and will more than compensate for the expenses that the child receives until they are an adult.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
As I stated! Children are the future of this country and we all have an interest in making sure they are cared for. That is why it IS OKAY to take money from all those in society to provide a safety net for their care.

And as for your first statement, you don't even have kids. Our government shouldn't be giving you a check just because you want to go eat out or something, whatever you do.

If you are poor then I do support the medicaid expansion that Obamacare provided us. Sorry if your state didn't expand it.
So you are we are parents have no responsibility to raise our own children? It should be the government's responsibility?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Still waiting for someone to explain to me how divorce would affect someone's ability to raise a child.
Ugh, divorce tends to throw families into poverty. It also causes severe mental anguish for all those involved. Safety nets need to exist when there are children involved in these scenarios.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm okay with that. Chances are that the baby you produce will become a contributing tax payer and will more than compensate for the expenses that the child receives until they are an adult.
When would I see the money? Want my address? My child is a little needy you know. About $250K would do I think but send me $5000 to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies