Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM

577 posts, read 436,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So we are responsible for your children?

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.. because no where in there did I say anything of the sort.

The situation is not as black and white as you would like to make it...

It would be nice, however, if a days work equaled fair wages - in otherwords, too bad we can't eliminate the term "working poor" from our vocabulary. No body that works should make so little that they are required to be subsidized by the government.. Unfortuately the same people that don't want to support low income access to birth control and whine about those that recieve welfare.. also dont' want to pay a living wage to those that are working but still living at or below the poverty level...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,600,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Stop trying to put words in my mouth.. because no where in there did I say anything of the sort.

The situation is not as black and white as you would like to make it...

It would be nice, however, if a days work equaled fair wages - in otherwords, too bad we can't eliminate the term "working poor" from our vocabulary. No body that works should make so little that they are required to be subsidized by the government.. Unfortuately the same people that don't want to support low income access to birth control and whine about those that recieve welfare.. also dont' want to pay a living wage to those that are working but still living at or below the poverty level...
So who is responsible for raising your children? You or the government?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So who is responsible for raise your children? You or the government?
As as I said.. ultimately I am..

But what do you suggest happens when someone that wasn't in poverty when they had children suddenly finds them IN poverty..

Do you think it's so easy for a single mother to get two or three jobs to make the income required to NOT live at or below the poverty level?

If that happens.. what happens to the child.. who are they with? Who watches the child while the single mother goes out and earns that job?

At one point I took a job at Amazon during the holiday season for $11/hour. NOt too bad.. however, had I not been in a new relationship with someone self employed.. who woudl have watched my then 4 year old while I worked from 7am to 5pm about 40 minutes from my home.. when daycare was only available from 8am to 5pm? And how the hell would I have paid for that.. because it would have taken almost my entire paycheck .. and even if there was money left after the daycare was paid for, it wouldn't have been enough for rent, food, heat! Thank GOD there are programs available to assist single parents with daycare payment assistance so they can work!

Because if a women does go out and work two or three jobs, her children are then unsupervised.. and are often the same "bad" children that someone like YOU would criticize for raising poorly.

We have a responsibility, like it or not, as a society to each other! Therefore, when a mother finds herself single and struggling, it's nice that we have a society for which we can turn to assist us.

Or would you prefer that single mothers and their children live in paper boxes and starve to death

Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
So Rand Paul's answer is to punish the children by withholding benefits

Many of the poor and homeless do work that is why they are called the "Working Poor"
Most of the poor that receive help from the government are children, the old and military veterans.

” When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint; but when I asked why there are so many poor people, they called me a communist ” Dom Helder Camara
Sounds to me more like he was pandering to the audience. It's not a plan.

Rand Paul used an example of a single mother with 4 children who now has a 5th child, which fits the stereotype he targeted. The average number of children in a TANF household is 1.8 and only 8% have more than three children. While single motherhood is declining for blacks, it's been increasing for white women for 20+/- years.

In the example Rand Paul used, I would favor permanently removing all the children from the mother's home and placing them up for adoption with families who had the means and emotional maturity to raise children.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
As as I said.. ultimately I am..

But what do you suggest happens when someone that wasn't in poverty when they had children suddenly finds them IN poverty..

Do you think it's so easy for a single mother to get two or three jobs to make the income required to NOT live at or below the poverty level?

If that happens.. what happens to the child.. who are they with? Who watches the child while the single mother goes out and earns that job?

At one point I took a job at Amazon during the holiday season for $11/hour. NOt too bad.. however, had I not been in a new relationship with someone self employed.. who woudl have watched my then 4 year old while I worked from 7am to 5pm about 40 minutes from my home.. when daycare was only available from 8am to 5pm? And how the hell would I have paid for that.. because it would have taken almost my entire paycheck .. and even if there was money left after the daycare was paid for, it wouldn't have been enough for rent, food, heat! Thank GOD there are programs available to assist single parents with daycare payment assistance so they can work!

Because if a women does go out and work two or three jobs, her children are then unsupervised.. and are often the same "bad" children that someone like YOU would criticize for raising poorly.

We have a responsibility, like it or not, as a society to each other! Therefore, when a mother finds herself single and struggling, it's nice that we have a society for which we can turn to assist us.

Or would you prefer that single mothers and their children live in paper boxes and starve to death
You and you alone decided that your children should starve to death not me! You and you alone brought your children to this world when YOU know full well that you have no means to support their lives.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Rand Paul used an example of a single mother with 4 children who now has a 5th child, which fits the stereotype he targeted. The average number of children in a TANF household is 1.8 and only 8% have more than three children. While single motherhood is declining for blacks, it's been increasing for white women for 20+/- years.

In the example Rand Paul used, I would favor permanently removing all the children from the mother's home and placing them up for adoption with families who had the means and emotional maturity to raise children.
This should be the solution.

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Of course the statistics are nonsense because the government definition of poverty is nonsense.

By government standards, a single parent on welfare, living in Section 8 housing with her boyfriend is "poor" and a retired homeowner without a mortgage and living on Social Security, can be "poor", while a childless burger flipper working full time and paying half his income on rent is not poor.

Obvious nonsense. Garbage in, garbage out.
If/when I find myself in this position the first thing I am going to do is share living space with other people. It may not be ideal but sure beats paying half my income in rent. We all make choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Thanks for pointing out the stats.

I do take issue with the last part of what you said.. first, whose to say that the parent isn't emotionally mature..

And. .if there is no access for low income earners to getting birth control.. AND you eliminate the option of abortion, which many of the right oppose both.. you set them up for failure in NOT having that 5th child.. and then force them to be pulled away from their child. That is just hear wrenching and downright cruel. You can't force that kind of decision on someone. No more than you can force them to have an abortion if they don't want one. To some adoption AND abortion are two options that would be hard to live with.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the stats.

I do take issue with the last part of what you said.. first, whose to say that the parent isn't emotionally mature..

And. .if there is no access for low income earners to getting birth control.. AND you eliminate the option of abortion, which many of the right oppose both.. you set them up for failure in NOT having that 5th child.. and then force them to be pulled away from their child. That is just hear wrenching and downright cruel. You can't force that kind of decision on someone. No more than you can force them to have an abortion if they don't want one. To some adoption AND abortion are two options that would be hard to live with.
Ever heard of contraception?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of contraception?

First off.. yes, indeed I've heard of contraception. As a matter of fact, if you bothered to read my posts you'll see that I said when I became single and fell into poverty, I went to Planned Parenthood to get access to birth control so that I didn't end up pregnant should I start having a relationship or engage with someone..

And, you also didn't answer my question about what happens when a women who has a baby when they weren't in poverty, finds herself IN poverty later in life. Life is funny that way.. you can plan but sometimes plans don't work out and life has other plans for you. Hence the fact that many single mothers didn't start out parents in poverty.. Yes, some did.. but not all do..

Lastly.. you also failed to read (or are purosefully ignoring) my post in which I laid out that the same inividuals that rail against welfare and liken women in poverty to societal leeches, are also the same kind that also don't want to help a low income individual have affordable access to birth control or allow them to be covered under their insurance! .. or even allow them the option to abort the pregnancy should their birth control fail ( I can't tell you how many people I know got pregnant on accident even while on birth control because a) they either missed a pill b) were on antiobiotics while taking the pill and didn't know that it kind of negates the pill or c) the condom broke! - fortunately they weren't poor, but it happens to even poor people).

So.. Republicans dont' want welfare and belittle women who are single mothers and are on it.. but they also have been doing all they can to destroy Planned Parenthood (which serves underprivledged neighborhoods and low income individuals) and make abortions illegal..

It's illogical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies